Call of Duty franchise has totalled over 35 million products sold, says Griffith

Monday, 1st June 2009 09:40 GMT By Mike

callofduty1b

Activision boss Mike Griffith revealed in Activision’s pre-E3 press conference yesterday that “Call of Duty products have totalled sales over 35 million.”

He also revealed, via Gamespot, that World at War has sold 11 million units in just six months, and Modern Warfare has sold at full price for six straight quarters.

Griffith also announced that Modern Warfare 2 pre-sales are already breaking records and the November 10 launch should rank as one of the biggest entertainment releases ever.

So, Call of Duty doing well, then?

1. _S_E_R_G_

Hell yeah!

2. endgame

waw sold 11million? i wonder who buys the game?

3. Blerk

Pretty much ‘everyone’, by the looks of it.

4. Patrick Garratt

I finished it. It was OK. You get to shoot people for hours and hours.

5. Mike

In the face? Please tell me you can shoot them in the face. Please?

6. No_PUDding

Can I proudly say I didn’t buy it? I didn’t!

7. tenthousandgothsonacid

Me either.

I think it was just us two though.

8. Mike

Me either. That’s three of us. Like the Odd Couple.

Plus one more.

9. Psychotext

I didn’t buy it either. I can’t say I’m particularly proud of that though.

10. Blerk

I’ve never bought a Call of Duty game. I did play the demo of WaW, though. Does that count?

11. Mike

I still haven’t bought COD:MW. Maybe because it’s been top whack for six quarters

12. G1GAHURTZ

Mentalists.

13. G1GAHURTZ

tbh though, the only thing that really got me into the COD series was the COD4 MP Beta.

I wasn’t really interested in it up until that point, but it was the Beta that convinced me.

I got WAW, but I have barely touched the multiplayer and just went through it once on the hardest setting for the Gamerpoints. The only reason I usually have a quick blast on it is if I just want to mess around in a similar MP without caring too much about my COD4 stats potentially going down.

14. anasui

I bought COD2, 3, 4 and 5 and ended up incredibly disappointed, I’ve never played a more shittastic multiplayer game than COD4

Sold the first two on Ebay so that’s -2 sales

15. El_MUERkO

ever since the first dash across the cow strewn field toward a bombed church in the original Call of Duty demo I got a sense that Infinity Ward knew how to make a game ‘cinematic’ and they were going to succeed

16. endgame

well that’s the thing, infinity ward didn’t make cod5, it was the guys at treyarch. and actually, they didn’t make the game, they copy/pasted it, but couldn’t do even that right. somehow they f**ked it up along the way. it’s a complete mess if u’r used to cod4, like i am. that’s why i’m so puzzled about how this game sold so much.