Nikkei – New Wii Fit and Wii Mario this year

Sunday, 31st May 2009 12:10 GMT By Patrick Garratt

marioart21

Looks as though Sony isn’t the only one sailing a leaky ship to LA. Nikkei’s reported that Nintendo’s to release a new Wii Fit – presumably Wii Fit Plus – and a new Wii Mario game in Japan this year.

There’s no detail at all on the Mario outing, but the piece says that the new Wii Fit title will have internet capability.

We should start running a book on whether or not a platform holder’s presser’s going to make it to the show intact. Only the MS stuff to be leaked, now.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Razor

Come on Pat, you can’t compare Nintendo’s leaks to Sony’s :P

2. JesteR

You cant leak anything from the MS conference because there is nothing really worth of leaking :).

3. Mike

Well, we’ll know for sure tomorrow night!

Can’t wait.

4. JesteR

Yeah i cant wait to see with DLC Microsoft bought again to be exclusive….

5. Razor

and we all know what exclusive means with Microsoft…

6. No_PUDding

Well MS has only one platform to leak anything about, so it could only be games or services.

We already know about the camera so, lets see what else is there.

As for the PS3 at the show, we don’t know anything else. So I think it’s a really odd comparison to make at all. Home console to new hardware.

7. Psychotext

“Well MS has only one platform to leak anything about”

…or do they? Dun dun duuuuuuun!

(Yes, they really do. :P )

8. anasui

another Mario..ehh I could do with a new Zelda actually

9. No_PUDding

The Zune HD?

Which was nicely leaked.

10. Psychotext

No, not the Zune HD. I was thinking about a gaming Zune… but they wont release one, despite constant rumours to the contrary.

11. Roybott

The Zune does support XNA so is at least capable of playing community games…

12. No_PUDding

Yeah, but you and I know that’s bullshit.

Zune HD = Gaming Zune.

When the PSP is being threatened by the iPhone, why would Microsoft introduce a PSP competitor? The Zune is the iPhone competitor, and that’s as much as a space in the handheld gaming market, that you need for Microsoft.

13. Roybott

Technically it’s an iTouch competitor as it has no phone :) but yeah, you’re right.

Portable gaming devices will be and need to be more than just gaming devices, so Microsoft seems to be taking the Apple approach of media functionality and then games rather than the PSP approach of games first and media second.

I expect some announcement soon of XNA and other gaming support for the Zune HD complete with touch stuff (which means the current XNA stuff cant really work on the Zune HD).

14. Psychotext

“Zune HD = Gaming Zune”

It’s no more a gaming device than the iPod Touch. People see XNA and assume it’s just a case of porting over community games… without the buttons, and with no-where near the hardware power.

15. No_PUDding

And by that you mean, it’s a massively topical and successful gaming device already?

I am not even thinking about any association with the XNA, becuase I have NO clue about it. So please don’t assume that I think anything. But iPhone games are the cheapest and fastest indie games to make. No problem then, recreating that success on the Zune.

The iPhone and iTouch are without a doubt the Zune HD’s main competitor, and at the moment, the iPhone/iTouch is really starting to break those not so disimilar markets into one (those being portable gaming, media device, and possibly a phone).

16. Psychotext

So which way is it then? Does Microsoft have one platform to leak info about (360)… or do they have two? (360 / Zune HD)

17. Roybott

Microsoft have 2 platforms 360 and Zune, you have remember that E3 is technically the Electronic ENTERTAINMENT Expo and can also include things that aren’t 100% dedicated to gaming (e.g. the Zune).

18. Hakkiz

Meh, Zune. In any case it’s a very limited platform since they are not launching it worldwide. Moar info on Windows games and services since Windows 7 and DirectX 11 are nearing their launch, mmkay? :)

19. No_PUDding

I wasn’t saying anything about it not being a gaming platform, as soon as you questioned me saying one platform, I realised the Zune HD deserves to be mentioned.

Still doesn’t mean that extra platform was leaked.

20. gmescafe

Thanks for sharing this information. I found it very informative as I have been researching a lot lately on practical matters such as you talk about…

21. Syrok

^Failed spam?^

22. hitnrun

That’s the best failed spam I’ve ever seen.

As far as Microsoft goes, I’m interested at how much of this guy’s super-sekrit tweets are true:

He’s so insistent and arrogant/confident in the veracity “leaks”, I’m thinking it’s an everything or nothing situation. Personally, I’m with Tycho at Penny Arcade; I think he’s an MS employee paid to drum up hype. A clever tactic, if true, since this year companies have seemed to figure out that there’s really nothing to be gained by keeping everything secret until the actual cacophony of the show floor.

23. theageofrockets

you people can’t be seriously thinking that this stuff is anything to be excited about… A new Mario? The guy has been up and down warp pipes, through picture frames, made into paper, the seas, in space, and some sorta happy sunshine land… I don’t want new Mario, Metroide, or any other rehash of a franchise that’s been recycled like the plastic they used to make the Wii; I’d prefer something new, innovative, and something that actually works with the gimmicky controls. Also, this leak about Wii Fit; correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t Nintendo wanna be appealing more to the “hardcore” gamers after last years joke. Wii fit is not a “game”, and with this Wii motion plus thing throwen onto it (mind you which you’ll have to pay money for and should have been tacked onto the controller in the first place) will not make it any more of a game. I don’t play my damn video games to loose weight, I play them to have “fun”… a concept that Nintendo seems to be quickly forgetting the definition of. :]