PSP Go to land in stores this fall, says Koller

Saturday, 30th May 2009 21:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

pspgo4

Looks like the full version of the Qore episode that was leaked earlier has landed in Eurogamer’s lap.

In it, John Koller himself says that PSP Go! will hit stores this fall.

“It’s a 3.8-inch screen, it’s 43 percent lighter than the PSP-3000, 16 gigs flash memory, Bluetooth support and all digital content so the UMD drive goes away so it’s going to be something a lot of consumers like – download straight to a hard drive,” he said.

“There’s games like Gran Turismo that are being announced at E3, and LittleBigPlanet that’s been announced before, and Jak & Daxter and there’s even a new Metal Gear Solid coming, so all those games will be available…”

“Integration with PSP is very important to us. And it works just like PSP-3000… A lot of people like to be able to take their content from PS3 with them on the go.”

Our heads just popped a bit.

Full thing through the link.

1. Madlink

A 3.8 inch screen? So smaller than the PSP-3000, which was 4.3″. Hmmm.

I realise smaller doesn’t always mean cheaper, but if they manage to sell this as a cheaper alternative to the PSP-3000, I’m all for it. Otherwise, what’s the point?

2. JesteR

LOL download only. Yes sure i just want digital copies so i cant sell it on ebay or have a nice collection. The only one who want digital only is the industry so they can make more money.

3. Razor

When you see PSP piracy levels you can understand why.

4. p0rkch0p69

Direct Feed YouTube Link of the QORE reveal… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJfZ6TjU1WQ

5. Michael O'Connor

“When you see PSP piracy levels you can understand why.”

6. crackdude

So what do I do to my stack of UMD games?

I bought a PSP JUST FOR GRANTURISMO before it even launched in Europe. I was DIZAPOINTEDZ of course, but I had fun with Wipeout, Lumines, Outrun and other titles.

Then it broke. And here I was hoping for a new PSP to come at E3 so that I could buy something shiny new and hyped, and I get THIS!

So I’m guessing maybe GT will be exclusive to this PSP (wanna bet?). So either, (A) I get PSP3000 and no GT or (B) I get GT but throw away hundreds of euros in games I already bought?

And they still complain bout piracy? Fuck’em. I am so screwd over cause of this lool

7. JesteR

Well i was thinking of getting a PSP but if this one doesnt support UMDs then i just wont get it.

8. Madlink

Crackdude don’t worry. GT is coming to the PS Store, not exclusively to the Go! I think if you’re only really interested in digitally purchasing a few games, like GT for example, you’re better off buying the PSP-3000 and a high capacity memory stick.

That way you have the best of both worlds. It seems the Go! is being positioned as a premium product designed to meet the needs and expectations of the iTunes generation.

As I mentioned earlier, I hope it’s actually cheaper than the PSP-3000, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to be the case.

9. Blerk

My son’s nagging me for a PSP. Hmm.

10. crackdude

Oh, so I could get Go games on PSN? Theoretically at least?

hmmmm…
    hmmmmm…

Then I’m sooo hoping for a 3000 price drop hehe :D

11. JesteR

I think it will fail. Whats the point of it? You can download games on the 3000 too and memory sticks getting higher and higher capacity. So there is no reason for it. Sony just wants to start people to force to download only. I wont support that.

12. Benjo1981

“I don’t condone piracy either, but how the hell does making it download only curb piracy?”

The digital downloads will more than likely be tied to that particular PSP, making them uncopiable/transferable etc..much like XBLA.

They have to go this way, piracy has killed the PSP software lineup to date..

13. Madlink

@Crackdude, I think that’s the idea. As Koller mentions in the Qore video, connectivity between the PS3 and the Go! is going to be a big deal, so it’s not too much of a push to assume that you’ll be able to buy games on PS Store and then transfer them to your Go! or any other PSP.

Also, it’d be extremely foolish to limit the potential sales of any downloadable product to one type of PSP only.

14. crackdude

Piracy will always exist. If you can get PSN games for free in a regular PSP, there will be some way you can get them in this one too.

15. Madlink

@Benjo1981, But that’s not actually killing piracy, is it? That’s killing the second hand market.
    Piracy on PSP Go! will continue as it has done with other PSP iterations the second its firmware is cracked.

The most that the Go! will do is; 1. stop your ability to swap games with friends and 2. stop you from trading in games you’re not playing anymore.

16. Benjo1981

@Madlink. Good point. I’m no expert but how does MS stop users pirating XBLA games? Is it just because they’d need to crack NXE which is a lot tougher to do than the PSP firmware?

17. Benjo1981

@Madlink. Unless the games are somehow inherently linked to PSN? You’d imagine a download-only portable will be persistenly online-aware, so what stops them necessitating a software-authenticity check every time the PSP is in net range?

18. crackdude

I think XBLA games are tied to gamertag AND console. It must reregister when you port your gamertag to another console. So you can’t copy it around. Maybe like this?

19. Benjo1981

As someone who has never bought a Sony gaming product, I like the look of this. I’m behind download-only, I don’t have any connection to physical media and it will allow me to play some of the franchises exclusive to Sony which I can’t get on the 360. What’s not to like?

20. Benjo1981

@Crackdude. Yeh, totally. If the games are linked to PSN usernames then can’t Sony use much the same anti-piracy measures are MS do on the 360?

21. Benjo1981

@Crackdude. So any potential pirate would need to crack not only the PSP-Go firmware, but also the PSN in some way..and you’d think Sony wouldn’t go letting PSN get hacked quite as easily as the PSP firmware.

22. Madlink

@ Benjo1981, Most Xbox 360 mods are hardware based instead of software based. But for those who do have modded 360s, as with every other modded platform, they can get access to everything that comes out, digital or otherwise.

That does have limitations of course. There has to be a hacker out there somewhere who wants to make whatever game, be it XBLA or retail available. A considerable amount of time and effort is poured into the modding and pirating scene, so most games eventually make their way onto the internet.

People then just download the raw files off of torrents etc and pop them onto their modified console/handheld.

Personally, I’ve never modifed any console or handheld apart from one, the Wii. Not for playing copied games or anything, just simply to make it region free.

23. crackdude

@Benjo1981
    yeah, I guess.
    You would have to have the same account in PSN, the PS3 and PSP to run the games.
    That’s why you can’t go changing gamertags all the time as I know some PSN users do.

24. Benjo1981

@Madlink. What motivates someone to go to such lengths to pirate a game? I can understand your motivation, for example, in terms of your Wii, because you had a clear and defined goal: to watch or play region-free dvds/games. Whether that is right or wrong is debatable, I guess, although I’d hesitate in saying it’s more than likely wrong. Having said that, I’ve had a dvd player modded to be region-free in order to watch American discs. But to go to such lengths to make available a game to thousands where the gain to the individual pirate seems minimal, i.e maybe the cost of that game to buy etc, seems strange to me. Why bother? As a pirate, you’ve got the game(s) you want (for free) to play yourself, so the act of then making said game(s) available to others just seems malicious. Do they have something against the games industry?

25. absolutezero

Man Sony really must be in the Dog House with the readers of this site if they is seen as horrific cashing in and the DS lite and i perfectly past muster.

Its Riiiiiiidge Gran Turismo

26. dirigiblebill

I think the key point to remember is that this is an alternative to the PSP, not a replacement for it. If you want something smaller, lighter and robuster with an App-Store-ish digital distribution model and (in all probability) superior battery life, the Go will suit. Sony are trying to compete more directly with the iPod without abandoning the existing PSP market.

It’ll all hinge on price, of course – the PSP hardware is relatively cheap to produce at this point, and Sony needs to pass on those savings to the consumer – and on whether the PS Store can deliver a steady supply of good, relatively inexpensive downloadable games – something to rival the App Store’s output, but with less of the bargain basement shite. Hopefully they’ve been courting some of the quality iPhone/iPod developers e.g. Chillingo, Digital Chocolate.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment from my point of view is the absence of a touchscreen. Maybe it would have driven too great a wedge between the Go and the PSP (and thus hindered efforts to transfer the latter’s software library to the former)? I’m not too fussed about the nub – the kinds of game I like to play on my PSP – Lumines, Everybody’s Golf, Monster Hunter, Disgaea – rarely require precise analogue controls.

EDIT – I’d welcome an absolutely first-rate D-pad, though. Would love to be able to play more fighting games on handheld.

27. Retroid

“16 gigs flash memory…. download straight to a hard drive”

TECHNOLOGY AWARENESS FAIL

28. absolutezero

I think he might mean download straight to the PS3s hard drive.

29. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Ok, I’ve got an original PSP and all I know is I want the new Metal Gear, new Gran Turismo, new Motorstorm, and new Little Big Planet all to work on the original PSP. I’ll be happy if they do by download, but I for one actually like having a collection of cases and hard copy games on my shelf. I hope UMD is still an option for original PSP owners with the new games…

30. Blerk

Yes, the old PSP is still compatible with the new games. I wouldn’t hold your breath for UMDs, though – I’m pretty sure it’ll be download-only from this point onwards.