EA to sell Tiger Woods “online for console downloads”

Friday, 29th May 2009 08:14 GMT By Patrick Garratt

tigerwoods094

SAI is reporting what could be a major shift in the way EA plans to operate in the next five years, saying it will start selling Tiger Woods “online for console downloads” this autumn.

Quoting a Wall Street Journal report:

DFC Intelligence estimates that revenue from downloaded or online games in the U.S. will nearly triple to $7.9 billion in 2013 from $2.9 billion in 2008. Sales of games for consoles, by contrast, are expected to increase by just 28% over the same period — though at a projected total of $24.3 billion.

It’s unclear whether or not Tiger Woods will be available on disc or will go download-only, but SAI describes the move as a “huge risk”.

Expect more details from E3 on Monday.

1. tenthousandgothsonacid

I wouldn’t mind but I’m guessing it’ll still cost the same as the retail boxed version which also has the overheads for shelf space and associated staff wages etc etc etc…

Cheeky cunts.

2. Blerk

It’s not going to be a small download, though – the demo’s 1.5gb and it’s only two holes.

3. OrphanageExplosion

It’ll be disc and download. You’re essentially alienating a huge proportion of our audience by going download only. Even the PSN-only big hitters like Warhawk came out on disc.

4. tenthousandgothsonacid

“My guess would be that they’d break it up – sell the bare-bones game for a small price and then charge you for individual courses.”

That would definitely be the smart way to do it.

I fully expect they won’t then :)

5. OrphanageExplosion

It wouldn’t be the smart way to do it at all since roughly 50% of the audience aren’t connected to the internet.

6. Blerk

I’m sure it’ll be on disc as well.

7. tenthousandgothsonacid

@OE Just meant the online version, they’ll sell a boxed version too…

8. rainer

The risk I’m guessing is in retaliation from retailers, digital delivery is still in its infancy and retail sales still count for the bulk of sales.

The only recent exception is Left4Dead which I think was 50/50 between steam/retail but that’s Valve a big name with high profile store, that isn’t going to work for every game. Plus US retailers don’t care about retail PC game sales apparently so the bulk of retail was probably the Xbox 360 version.

Burnout Paradise was on PSN though so its not EA’s first foray into online console sales, I wonder how well it sold.