Scratch: The Ultimate DJ controller revealed

Wednesday, 27th May 2009 14:43 GMT By Patrick Garratt

scratch2

What the world needs is more music-related tat to clutter up the fragile lives of normal people. Thankfully, then, Numark and Genius showed the Scratch: The Ultimate DJ controller today, ahead of an E3 showing next week.

We thought this was on a sticky wicket? Anyway. Press release and shots after the break.

NUMARK AND GENIUS PRODUCTS REVEAL SCRATCH: THE ULTIMATE DJ VIDEOGAME CONTROLLER FOR XBOX 360® AND PLAYSTATION®3
Designed by Leading DJ Technology Manufacturer, SCRATCH DECK Gives Players an Authentic DJ Experience Like No Other
Cumberland, R.I. (May 27, 2009) – Numark Industries, the world’s leading manufacturer of DJ technology, and Genius, Inc., released today the first images of the videogame controller for Scratch: The Ultimate DJ for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. SCRATCH DECK will be showcased for hands-on play at a special event in Los Angeles on June 3, during the week of the videogame industry’s most high profile trade show, the 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo.

“For decades, Numark has been developing turntables, DJ mixers and digital DJ controllers. We know what professional DJs demand, and we used that knowledge to produce SCRATCH DECK,” said Adam Cohen, Director of Business Development, Numark. “It was critical that we deliver an authentic DJ experience to gamers, whether they be experienced DJs or players who have never put a needle to vinyl.”

SCRATCH DECK combines two essential elements of the DJ and hip-hop experience – a free-spinning, touch sensitive turntable with a crossfader and 5 Akai Pro MPC-style drum pads. The turntable allows players to add their own style and manipulate the songs in real time, while the MPC-style drum pads give players the opportunity to perform and customize tracks by triggering samples using the very same pads that are the cornerstone of professional hip-hop beat production. Samples can either be pre-loaded into the game using 60 unique battle records that will ship with the software, or players can record and upload their own samples using a compatible USB microphone.

In addition to the features created by Numark, SCRATCH DECK also contains standard game controls found in music rhythm games. The turntable features a realistic surface that feels remarkably similar to a vinyl record. The drum pads and the crossfader also deliver an authentic and realistic music production experience. Left-handed DJs will appreciate that SCRATCH DECK is designed for use in right or left-handed configurations.

“Being involved with Hip-Hop for so long, Numark has consistently been the standard for innovation and leadership in computer DJ controllers, their quality is second to none,” said Quincy Jones III of QD3 Entertainment. “We are very excited to partner with them to deliver the most authentic DJ experience for gamers and look forward to letting gamers and Hip Hop enthusiasts get their hands on the controller for the first time at E3.”

Scratch: The Ultimate DJ combines free-form DJ tricks with great rhythm game play similar to top-selling rhythm games. Scratch: The Ultimate DJ is set in distinctive urban environments and will feature songs from the biggest names in Hip-Hop. Scratch: The Ultimate DJ, featuring the Numark SCRATCH DECK, will be available in Fall 2009.

For more press information and new screens of the Scratch Deck, please visit: http://bhimpact.gamespress.com

1. Mike

I want this and DJ Hero.

2. ecu

Didn’t Konami ever patent their fucking IIDX controller? Christ..

I love how everyone conveniently ignores the fact that Konami released a dj game + specialised controller TWELVE years ago. I’m gonna be so pissed off when everyone starts creaming over this like it’s the best new invention while the real originator is forgotten about once again.

3. mart

I’m gonna get this, and DJ Hero, and play them both at the same time while standing on my Tony Hawk: Ride board with my two Guitar Hero controllers on my back. I’m gonna ride that all the way over to Pat’s house, and he can help me play the plastic drums. I know we’ll have such a great time.

4. Patrick Garratt

I hope someone brings out a game with a plastic bike I can ride in my house. Or a plastic treadmill, so I can run on the spot in front of my TV forever and ever and ever like some kind of fucking hamster.

5. Hunam

I don’t know how anyone has any space for all this shit tbh. Soon as I get bored of GH I sell it with the guitar. I’ve not got any of them since they went full band as the amount of crap to store puts me off. The tony hawks skateboard takes the cake though.

6. G1GAHURTZ

7. Blerk

Home gaming now is becoming what arcade gaming became in the early 90s.

Shit.

8. ecu

Blerk! When did you get back?

9. Blerk

Yesterday!

10. No_PUDding

xD

11. DaMan

“There should be a game that comes with a plastic house, so you can pretend that you live in it in the game.”

yeah, say a Sims game with a plastic house. they might call it “Life hero”.

12. Hero of Canton

@ecu – what will happen is that DJ Hero will be massive, Scratch slightly less so, and then Konami will get some crap British developer to make a new Beatmania, and they’ll call it DJ Revolution and it will be utterly terrible.

But yeah, at an Activision event I went to, they called it ‘our most innovative game of the year’. Says a lot, really.

13. frankie

this console is better just check out the control deck its real just like djs. my real spinner is numark too