Japanese 7-Eleven claims Kojima’s teaser is a new Metal Gear

Thursday, 21st May 2009 19:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

kojimathing1

The teaser site over at Kojima Productions is scheduled to reveal what is in store for us later this evening, but that has not stopped a Japanese 7-Eleven e-Commerce database from claiming it’s a Metal Gear game.

Its listing mentions upcoming issues of trade magazines offering coverage of the MGS games, specifically pointing out Famitsu PSP+PS3.

Other than implying that the game is Sony only, the listing also mentions that the magazines are slated to hit retail on May 30.

Over on the Kojima site, there’s just over six hours left before another bit of tease is added, or we get a full reveal.

Maybe it will at least shed light on the “5″ that pops up with the lightening. Or it could be an “S”.

We don’t know, really. But it’s killing us.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Shatner

/subscribes to 7-eleven Twitter feed for all latest game news.

2. Razor

I guess it makes sense to make it Sony orientated given that MGS4 is the main reason some (like me) bought a PS3.

Kojima is such a tease, a bit like that Stephany…

3. Shatner

While you wait for the flash page to load you see at the bottom “This page requires..”

They spelled “player” wrong.

Amateurs!

(Or is it a mysterious cryptic clue?!?!)

4. Gekidami

I didnt know the count was coming to an end so soon, i though it was still days away :-S
    And is it just me or has that site changed? I dont remember thunder.

5. Yoshi

Did they hav music in the background before? i cant remember

EDIT: Opps just realised i had a page open which had music on lol :P it was strange mystic kinda music so i thought it was on the Kojima site :P

6. Psychotext

The non edited version of your post was around about right Gekidami, but it’s based on people looking at the flash code to work out how many mini countdowns are left.

No-one knows for sure (outside of the obvious) exactly when it will end properly though.

7. Gekidami

They’ve also removed that black border stuff that was leaking into the picture and some said sort of looked like a face.
    If it is a MGS game then the thunder points to Raiden, it could be a ‘Substance’ featuring Raidens build up to MGS4, after all; early artwork for MGS4 showed Raiden normal holding Sunny as a baby. I bet it was originally planned.

8. No_PUDding

So can I say the obvious?

Wait for E3 you impatient shits…

Christ. Now PAT… I CAN’T WAIT TO FIND OUT WHAT THE BBC GAME ISN’T TELL ME NAO!

9. Patrick Garratt

:P

10. Gekidami

Is E3 in 5 hours? I’d rather wait for 5 hours…

11. No_PUDding

You won’t hear the end of it. I promise. It’ll only get worse.

12. SlayerGT

Who’s going to be upset if this turns out to be Sony exclusive?

13. Gekidami

Chances are if you dont own a PS3 already then you dont really care about MGS.

14. lalaku

in the source code of the page you can read : “content=”Hideo Kojima, MGS,METAL GEAR, NEXT, game, konami, kojima game, KJP, Kojima Production”" so maybye MGS 5 !

15. SlayerGT

I agree Geki. Im just curious, if it is exclusive, to see what kind of reaction the game gets. If it is in fact a game. I love MGS and if this is a game based in the same universe I would be upset if it did not come to the PS3.

16. Gekidami

I bet its a brand new game and Kojima just put all that stuff in there to raise interest :p

17. Razor

I think it’s gonna be MGS5…the MGS4 engine wasn’t cheap to make, so I’d imagine Hideo will want to get his money’s worth out of its investment.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a MGS5,6 and 7 using the basic MGS4 engine for PS3.

18. No_PUDding

I agree Razor…

And it’s not like there was long between MGS2 and MGS3.

19. Psychotext

I don’t think there’s a chance in hell of it not being on the PS3.

20. No_PUDding

Psycho, as opposed to PSP. Which there is a chance. It is only ever going to be multiplatform if is was next-gen. And just ebcuase it’s in the PS3-PSP Famtisu, doesn’t mean it ISN’T on 360.

21. Psychotext

Wouldn’t they just make it another “portable” game for the PSP? Not affecting the main series at all?

22. No_PUDding

What a ridiculous statement, given the fuss over the iPhone MGS.

MGS teasing, it’s KojiPro… Even if it’s complete; unrealted it will be teased and hyped and squeezed for all the attention it can get.

23. Razor

I wouldn’t mind an MGS5,6,7 based on MGS4; the MGS4 engine is really solid no pun intended…and they’re bound to make ongoing improvements on it.

Though why they continue to model Snake running like Quasimodo is something I don’t understand…

I’m with Psyc on this.

Hideo says the engine is optimized for PS3, so it just doesn’t make sense to spend extra money building and porting a new version for the 360, where the audience didn’t buy a 360 with the intention of playing any MGS games.

It would probably be the same if it’s a PSP game; they’ll use the PSP engine they used on Portable Ops, because people didn’t buy a DS to play any MGS games.

I just don’t see this being on anything other than Sony platforms.

24. Razor

Plus, even if it’s not an MGS game and it’s something completely unrelated, I’m sure that they wouldn’t want the engines that they’ve created for the PS3 and and PSP to go to waste.

25. No_PUDding

I don’t know if that’s naive or not.

I mean FFXIII was built on a multiplatform engine. And it clearly isn’t the most pretty game about. I am serious, the amount of hyperbole surrounding that was ridiculous.

But I expect it would be that hard to get the MGS4 engine optimised on the 360, I just think the game not only would NEED some chnages, but even if it didn’t it would have to chnage somewhat.

It’s an odd piece of hardware, and code that runs on it, would be equally as weird I expect.

26. Psychotext

Why is the idea of a portable MGS for the PSP ridiculous? It’s not like it would be the first one.

27. No_PUDding

It’s NOT ridiculous, your statement was ridiculous.

Assuming that this is a main title MGS, and that they wouldn’t make a fuss like over a portable title, even if it weren’t main series.

28. Gekidami

Portable Ops was sort of a main MGS title, it was canon after all.

29. Psychotext

I think there’s some confusion here. I’m talking about them taking MGS5 and putting it on the PSP only… that’s what I think isn’t going to happen. I think it would be portable ops 2 or something.

30. Johnny Cullen

It’s the last Famitsu before E3, my money is on them revealing no question MGS5 and Portable Ops 2.

They did it too just before TGS 05 with MGS4. Hold on, I’ll go track down the scans.

EDIT: http://www.gaming-age.com/media/2005/september/mgs4/2.jpg

31. Razor

Well now that I’ve heard the FFXIII producer talk about the pressures, the huge success it needs, and given how long it’s *still* taking to develop, (plus the drop in revenue that SE has just had), to me at least it’s pretty obvious that FFXIII was always going to go multi-plat; whether MS nudged them along or not who knows, but if I was CEO at SE I would have taken it multi-plat.

The difference is that MGS4, unlike FFXIII, has already being released and isn’t in development; people will now have been buying 360′s because they now know that FF is going to that system (although I still expect the PS3 version to sell more)…but that’s not the case with the MGS; MGS is still solidly a Sony platform game.

I obviously don’t know how far the MGS4 engine is optimized for PS3, but I would imagine that it’s pretty far advanced given that there is still no inkling of MGS4 going to the 360; and the game being virtually sponsored by Apple and few Sony references thrown in will surely make it even more unlikely.

Plus the fact Konami are in pretty rude health financially, so there is no desperation to take the game (and any sequels multi-plat) since the vast bulk of your audience bought a PS3 to play MGS4.

I’m assuming of course that the game is MGS5…which I think it is. There’s no way Konami would let the franchise fizzle out.

Sorry for waffling…I’m kinda bored :|

32. SlayerGT

I really wouldnt be surprised if it were about Raiden. After playing as him in MGO I personally feel he could be fleshed out even more to become a very good action game character. Not Ninja Gaiden arcade like, but still fast paced kind of gameplay.

But I would like to see Hideo do something completley new.

33. cachucha

thats the S of sony lols