Slim PS3 firm goes cease-desist mental over leaked shots

Tuesday, 19th May 2009 07:16 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3slimchina1

A Chinese firm is sending out cease and desist letters to sites in an effort to get “slim PS3″ shots removed from the intertubes.

Kotaku, Engadget and Spong all got them.

The firm’s looking for removal of “some confidential document and photos, which were highly possibly illegally released and posted”.

Good luck with that, Chinese firm.

1. Tonka

A guy on EG said these cease and desist letters were a publicity stunt by Spong.

2. Mike

Who said it? Piro?

3. SniperWolf

What you mean by “Good luck with that, Chinese firm.” Patrick????

4. Tonka

I can’t remember who said it.
    And I think the good luck with that refers to removing the leaked shots from the internets.

It’s poetic justice. The Chinese love them some industrial espionage.

I still think that this PS3 slim looks ugly as sin.

5. Patrick Garratt

Sniper – I mean the chances of getting the shots removed at nonexistent. They’re everywhere.

6. Mike

Basically, I think it’s some knock-off company and these shots aren’t Sony manufactured. But as they look real and therefore people could be putting off buying a PS3 until this comes out, Sony has got the right hump and is threatening to sue this Chinese company unless all traces of their shady knock-off is wiped from existence.

Just my opinion with no factual or insider knowledge to back it up.

7. Whizzo

If this was some Vii type clone being manufactured I think Sony would have already sued their arses because of all the trademark violations that are on that box.

8. SniperWolf

Patrick i know what you mean by that?
    but doesn’t the law force those websites to remove it from their archives ?

9. Patrick Garratt

Sniper – No. The sites can choose to remove them. The Chinese company’s within its rights to pursue the matter legally if it likes. The Chinese firm isn’t the “law”. A court can order you to do something. Someone’s lawyer can’t.

10. portaprima

@Whizzo: I think they couldn’t sue the manufacturer before the equipement is out. For now,. legally, it is nothing more then a photoshopped pic.

11. Psychotext

The Chinese firm isn’t the “law”

I AM THE LAW.