Guitar Hero 5 details surface: Johnny Cash, new competitive mode

Friday, 15th May 2009 16:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

johnnycash

We all know that Guitar Hero 5 is in the works. Probably Guitar Hero 10 as well, but we’ll focus on the details that popped up for the next iteration for the time being.

The following has been confirmed by USA Today:

• Four players can choose whatever instrument they want (all guitar, drums, whatever you like)
  • Competitive Fest mode: Four players local (eight online) battle for top scores, if a player misses a note their momentum is killed, and they have to hit 20 notes in a row to build the momentum back up

So far the track list includes:

• Bob Dylan – All Along The Watchtower
  • Johnny Cash – Ring of Fire
  • Kings of Leon – Sex on Fire
  • Santana – No One To Depend On
  • The Rolling Stones – Sympathy for the Devil
  • Tom Petty – Runnin’ Down a Dream
  • Vampire Weekend – A-Punk
  • White Stripes – Blue Orchid

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. BillyBatts

DER DER DER DUN D-DE D-DE DER DER DEEEEEEERRRRR
    DUN D-DE D-DE DER DER DEEEEEEERRRRR

2. The_Deleted

It’s great that it’s as diverse as is it is. But where the fuck is the heavy?
    They seem to be going out of their way to avoid all the heavier stuff that made the first 3 GH’s worth having

3. crackdude

Loads of variety I see.. Hope they don’t left out some metal and hard rock tunes. Punk rock is fun to play too.

4. The_Deleted

If I have to hear that fucking Kings of Leon track once more I’ma get medieval on their ass.

5. Pyrix

Sometimes, it seems as if they try too hard (both Harmonix and Activision) to be diversified, and miss out on ‘core’ music (i.e. the metal that made GH3 good, as The_Deleted said).

6. anasui

and here I am still waiting for Queen, while fucks like Johnny Cash get the spot.

7. The_Deleted

It does surprise me sometimes how much fun some tracks are to play even though I’ve never given them much attention in the past,(eg: Garbage, The Stokes etc. from Rock Band) but having really got ‘in the zone’ for only a few tracks in RB, specifically NIN, The Police and a lot of the later tracks in RB, it makes you realise just how bland the tracklists are getting. I’m all for a bit more blues a la GH1, but this determination to everything very MOR now the franchises are selling millions is a bit depressing.
    Having said that, it’s early days and I’m hoping GH stick with the heavy while RB do their thing.

It’s probably a lot to do with the whole band thing, too.
    I can’t see too many people wanting to sing Napalm Death or Meshuggah, but it would be good for those of us that do.