Far Cry 2 gets large title update, corruption risk reduced

Monday, 11th May 2009 22:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

farcry2a

Ubi’s patched Far Cry 2, reducing the risk of corrupted save data and fixing a ton of other stuff in both single-player and online play.

A “Hardcore” mode has also been added, giving weapons far greater damage.

Go back and play it again. It’s ace. Get the patch notes here.

1. anasui

too bad I trashed it, like, two days after I bought it. Only because I installed it two days after I bought it.

splendid presentation, horrid game

2. Blerk

How’s Far Cry 2 been treating you, Pat?

3. Patrick Garratt

Really good, to be honest. I’m about 80% complete now. I don’t think I’ve ever been so “immersed” in a “world”. I read through the Eurogamer review of it last night, and it’s very accurate. The setting’s unforgettable. I’ll be quite sad when the story’s finished.

4. Blerk

Cool. I was kind of interested in it before release and then lost interest because it looked too ‘shooty’ for me. What’s the difficulty level like? Accessible for a FPS n00b? Or not?

5. Patrick Garratt

I’m playing it through on easy, and it’s right for me, really. I can progress without too much trouble. A few of the bigger missions killed me a couple of times, but nothing drastic.

It’s pretty shooty, like. I mean, there’s a lot of shooting. You genuinely can play it as you like, though. There are silent weapons, ranged weapons, assault weapons, blah.

I’d definitely recommend it. I’m really glad I went back. Very much enjoying it.

6. Mike

Can you curb stomp though, Pat?

7. Blerk

Hmm…

8. Patrick Garratt

You can “finish” people on the ground with your machete. It’s mentally violent, to be honest.

9. Patrick Garratt

Blerk – It is an FPS. Proper sandbox, but FPS nonetheless.

10. Blerk

And that would have lead me to discount it immediately in the past. But I just finished Half Life 2 and enjoyed it ‘a whole bunch’. So maybe there’s life in the old dog yet?

11. Patrick Garratt

It’s a very “adult” game. Certainly not just walking around corridors shooting “things”.

12. pleasant_cabbage

Hark! The transformation of Blerk into space marine continues apace ;)

13. portaprima

The game is good indeed, but respawning bad guys in previously visited checkpoints are very annoying…

I loved the buddy-rescue thing. That’s fresh, and saves a lot of time on the occasion. You can’t save game whenever you want, and your buddy can revive you once in the mission.

14. Patrick Garratt

The respawning thing’s probably the most obvious annoyance, I reckon. You plough through a petrol station, complete your mission, come back through the petrol station on the way into town to get the next mission and everything’s been de-demolished and everyone’s alive again. It brings you back to the surface.

15. Gekidami

Hum, personally i found FC2 pretty lame, it beats GTA IV in brainless goon ‘go to’ missions, the story is slow and fractured, to much forced exploration is used to pad out the game, the fact that you’re always a target makes it to much of a run’n'gun, and the whole aspect of having multiple attack options is somewhat fickle when in the end just running straight in guns blazing is quicker and more effective.
    I wont even go in to the terrible multiplayer, though i’ve heard its been fixed up abit since launch.

16. anasui

is there a story in FC2? Blimey! I thought it was “help faction B” “help faction A” with no point whatsoever

I must admit the Jackal had a cool voice though. i’m still surprised game’s got some fans seeing how terrible it really is

17. Len

Finally got this last week for 15squid and it’s utterly fantastic.

Just so compelling and an amazing world to play in. As Pat says you become really immersed in it.

I can see how it may put ppl off in the first few tutorial style hours (very slow burner) but once yr let off the leash, so to speak, it just opens up.

I don’t mind the respawning guardposts as if they didn’t it would soon become a bloody empty/quiet world. And also I never drive anywhere hardly, all cross country and/or the rivers for me.

Also the sniper rifles are wonderful to play with.

Great stuff… :)