Rumor: The Lost and Damned heading to PS3 in August

Saturday, 9th May 2009 21:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

lostandthedamned2

PSW Magazine has stated in its latest issue that The Lost and Damned DLC for GTA IV will land on PS3 in August.

The article said that Microsoft only had a 6 month exclusivity deal for the content, which is where PSW came up with an August release window.

Take this as a rumor until official word comes out of Rockstar.

Via GamingFront.

1. VIP0R

Hmmmm strange… Upcoming E3 Announcement? =]

I thought Microsoft paid to develop 2 Exclusive DLC packages for $50Million.

Surely they wouldnt have paid that much for just 6months?
    Thats Buisness stratergies I guess lol

Maybe even Sony has paid $100Million to break the contract.

but im sure all this Smoke and Mirrors, Jiggery Pokery will be revealed soon enough.

=]

2. loki

LOL

3. The Benny

That does seem awfully short, unless Microsoft were only really interested in the first-month sales that the DLC news would bring, and don’t care about it going to the PS3 now that everybody already made their purchases.

It would seem to undermine the weight of any future exclusivity deals though, especially if the Fallout 3 DLC ends up going the same route. Crowing about DLC won’t mean much if everybody assumes it’s going multiplatform within months of release anyway.

4. Withnail

Doubt this is true, but the meltdowns would be so entertaining that I hope it is.

5. SlayerGT

Please God let it be true! I hate the 360.

6. Shatner

/buys shares in Butterkist

7. No_PUDding

Well who knows, maybe having exclusive anything of GTA is short lived cus it’s such a massive franchise…

I don’t know.

8. No_PUDding

Hahah

*buys some Butterkist from Shatner*

Already paying off…

Now, who will buy into Krispy Kreme shares? I want one of thems!

9. Psychotext

I figured it would arrive on disc at some point… but not PSN. Haven’t got a clue why I thought one and not the other though.

10. Aimless

I’m fairly sure the PS3 version will get the DLC somewhere down the line, although I’d expect it to happen later than August. It would essentially be free money for Take-Two as the content’s already made and there’s several million potential customers out there who bought the game for the PlayStation 3.

The way I see it Microsoft weren’t really paying for the DLC itself, more the image of being ‘the GTA console’. The previous games came out on the Xbox but it was always seen as a PlayStation series, but now the majority of the people with the latest game have it for a Microsoft console. As such I’d say they’ll still have gotten what they wanted out of the deal, even if the content becomes available elsewhere; surely it would make its way to PC as well.

11. The_Deleted

It makes sense. The GTA of the last gen all ended up on the XBOX (thank fuck. Custom soundtracks FTW!) and Microsoft lent Rockstar a lot of money to tide them over after all the EA buy out malarkey. So maybe it was just a short term deal as long as R* kept quiet about it going multi-platform.

12. absolutezero

Im not sure this will be the bomb-shell that everyone thinks its going to be. The Lost and Damned actually just seemed to kinda come out to little to no fanfare or excitement and since its release I’ve seen little to no one actually talking about it.

13. The_Deleted

That’s because the gameplay for GTAIV bored the crap out of everyone. I consider myself a GTA fanboy, but for all the fuss and anticipation it was a dud. Played great but got dull.

14. Zarckan

Lost & Damned etc are 360 only… trust me.

15. Psychotext

@absolutezero: TL&D was fantastic. Actually far better than the main game in a lot of ways.

@Zarckan: Why exactly should we trust you?

16. Zarckan

You don’t need to trust me. Suffice to say I am well versed with the DLC and it’s status …

BTW, next Ep soon ;-)

17. Psychotext

There is no spoon.

/crane stance

18. No_PUDding

Well forgive us for believing PSW for a bit. xD

I don’t know though.

19. Retroid

I distinctly remember OPS2M boasting one month about ‘exclusive news!’ of Half Life 2 coming to PS2 aswell as Xbox.

We’ll see if this is as reliable as that, eh?

20. ecu

It has smashed all DLC sales records.

21. Gekidami

Whilst i think its true that MS only had about 6 months on the L&tD i’m pretty sure this is nothing but guess work from the mag, they’re just assuming it’ll come out on PS3 once the MS contract runs out.

22. The_Deleted

But that makes total sense. If that was the case it wouldn’t be a story. The whole point was the exclusivity being permanent.

23. clynchehaun

I seemed to recall a Sony exec saying that nothing stays exclusive forever. Also it would make sense for the second pack to come to the 360 before the first does for the PS3.

24. Blerk

I’d be surprised if this was true. But who knows? The word ‘exclusive’ means so little these days that it’s practically pointless even saying it.

25. Syrok

Unless it’s exclusive to the Wii. ;)

26. Gekidami

The word ‘exclusive’ still means a hell of a lot when its coming from first party developers.

27. OrphanageExplosion

Occasionally you’ll see a low-tier Future mag come up with a story like this in an attempt to stave off imminent closure.

28. DrDamn

Not the first time I’ve heard this rumour. The payment MS made was “only” a loan type agreement too as stated above. It wouldn’t surprise me if true.

29. Robo_1

I suppose it’s not beyond the edge of reason, that there was a clause in the contract, which said if it didn’t generate x income, then it would go to PS3 after a six month exclusivity arrangement.

Who knows though, and Zarckan, are you officially debunking the rumour as a representative of either MS or Rockstar?

30. frostquake

Now Days “Exclusivity” only means “for a certain time period”, and on consoles that looks like 6 months..Just like PS3 had UT3 as an Exclusive and then after 6 months Xbox 360 got it.

31. TheTwelve

This is about as surprising as news pertaining to Christmas coming to us on December 25th.

Rockstar is about making money and they have no loyalty to Microsoft outside of the bottom line. They figure to make more money releasing this on the 360 PLUS a bonus exclusive check from Microsoft, and THEN putting it on the PS3.

Rockstar, and other companies are like mercenaries allowing themselves to be used in whatever way they can to make the most money between Microsoft and Sony. It’s called good business.