Gears screenwriter says he pictured “The Rock” when writing lead role

Friday, 8th May 2009 17:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

therock

Gears of War screenwriter Chris Morgan has told MTV that the film is in the budgeting phase now, and when asked who he pictured when writing the part of Marcus Fenix, he said Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.

“Normally when I write, I think about the actor I’m writing for, but this one’s been difficult,” said Morgan. “It is a vital casting choice. It’s counter-intuitive really, because it seems like you want to get a big character — a big tough guy who can play it stoic the whole time.

“But in my experience, dealing with macho sorts of movies and dealing with Dom [Vin Diesel's character in "Fast & Furious"] and that kind of stuff, it’s harder to play the tough guy than an emotional character who’s all over the place.”

What the casting director needs to do, he added, is find “a really f’ing good actor to pull off being a silent tough guy and put some humanity into it.

“The Rock is awesome. There’s a genuine actor. Not only can he play the tough guy, but he can also play the nuanced, sensitive funny sad moments as well. But finding that guy is incredibly difficult.

“If you just play the big tough guy, it comes off as one-note and cardboard and not a believable character. So an actor has to find little things and put emotion into them that works in a more subtle way than just being stoic.”

Cliff Bleszinski, who is one of the film’s producers, stated previously that he wanted a “Clive Owen type” to play the part of Fenix in the film.

Good luck.

1. hitnrun

Seems counterintuitive, but I guess it’s true. Most “strong, silent” attempts end up less like John Wayne than Keanu Reeves.

2. DaMan

The Rock – tough guy?? Lmfao.

3. jnms

Clive Owen would work pretty well…

4. Stephany Nunneley

Clive Owen? Look, I’d leave my man on Christmas morning for him and all, but he is no Marcus Fenix. ;-)

5. Gekidami

What if he took shit loads of steroids?

6. Seraphemz

You would do that to me Steph?? :)

I dont know DAMAN, Rock is a pretty tough looking dude..

7. Goliath

I would think casting Dom is going to be harder than casting Marcus. Try finding a touch guy who can be sensitive and add some sentimentality and emotion to the story. The strong, silent type isn’t equally as difficult to pull off.

8. jnms

They could put Clive Owen in a Fat Suit (with big muscles sown in), add a bit of CGI and it would be precisely 100 more times believable than The Rocks acting…

9. Stephany Nunneley

Hey jnms, I would not complain one bit if he were cast – might lose some respect for him in the process, but complain about it? Never! :-)

10. DaMan

@ Seraphemz – Steve Austin, now that’s tough guy :)

pfft, even a joke like John Cena looks tougher.

11. Seraphemz

DAMAN – I agree with Steve Austin ( The Expendables should be good ) but Cena looks like a retard with muscles…

12. DaMan

yes, he does. but I really think Rock looks lame, never liked the guy.

he’s no Marcus Fenix anyway. he just doesn’t look like someone to play that role, no way imho.

13. Seraphemz

check this out http://thor.mirtna.org/oddities/lookalikes/pics/marcus-fenix-gears-of-war-batista.jpg

14. Psychotext

@Seraphemz: He’d probably have the acting talent required for the job too. :D

15. Seraphemz

i dont think anyone in Gears movie is going to be winning any acting award.. so yeah, he would have what it takes.

16. DaMan

Batista looks more intelligent.

17. mart

Hehehe, this is gonna be terrible. Can’t wait.