50 Cent: Blood on the Sand sells 1/12 of Bulletproof

Friday, 8th May 2009 20:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

50centbloodonthesanda4

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand has sold a twelfth of the previous title in the series, 50 Cent: Bulletproof.

Released in February, the game has sold approximately 56,000 copies  in the US since April, and during the same time span, Bulletproof boasted 681,000 copies sold with 1,123,000 units in it’s lifetime.

Blood on the Sand garnered better reviews than the 2005 outing, receiving a Metacritic score of 71 compared to 47, and has been described as “a guilty pleasure” by gaming critics.

THQ hasn’t issued a comment on the figures, but it is being speculated that the Activision Vivendi merger may have put a damper on consumer expectations.

Via Kotaku.

1. jnms

56,000 or 560,000 ???

Else “50 Cent: Blood on the Sand has sold a twelfth less than the previous title in the series, 50 Cent: Bulletproof.”

Should be saying “Blood on the Sand has sold a *twelfth of* the previous title in the series”

2. Psychotext

Just goes to show that review scores aren’t everything to a game.

3. Seraphemz

Probably didnt help that the last one sucked, so people just expected this one to suck as well.

Also , didnt KZ2, RE5 and Halo RTS come out around the same time??

4. Mad-elph

Being a huge hip-hop fan I decry these type of tie-ins with piss ass rapers. I would never rent this game (or the original) despite the reviews scores on principle of hating shite rappers. Rap culture is not well suited to video games cause it is a false use of iconography. Typically forgotten is that rap is a fantasy art, and while games are also fantasy the distinction is removed in games and people get a incomplete sense of the culture. How we forget of the 4 (or 5 if you include the religious undertones of early culture) sphere of hip-hop, MC, DJ, Breaking and graf. So much is lost when we see it simply as a forum for guns and drugs.

5. Aimless

Eh? I don’t get that last paragraph, although I suppose I can picture the scene…

“Alright, blood. Wassat?”

“New 50 Cent game, innit.”

“Nah mate you don’t wanna buy that, Activision cut it loose after merging with Vivendi last year. Obviously I cannot speak on behalf of the entirety of the games-buying public, but that seriously undermined my consumer confidence in the sequel to that classic from 2005, 50 Cent: Bulletproof.”

6. Syrok

@Aimless: :D

7. MasterChiefFenix

I think Blood on the Sand looks fun and i don’t give a fuck about the 1st and never even did.

Simple formula to the equation: Rapper game will sell most when rapper is most popular [duhz].

8. ecu

Most likely reason is that 50 Cent isn’t as popular as he was, and that the games market is a lot more competitive at the moment, and as an average third person shooter, it doesn’t do enough to stand out from the crowd. The marketing push wasn’t nearly as big this time around either.

9. Cort

Sorry to point it out, but that first line doesn’t make sense.

10. Captain Fruitloop

I’ve been biting my tongue on this stuff for a while, but…

Sorry, but – seriously – is Steph a YTS trainee, or doing this as work experience from school, or something? The stuff she files is often full of gibberish sentences (example: the story above), factual errors (example; the LBP new sticker pack story) and just bad grammar. (Example: “It’s” and “Its” – they’re different words, and not interchangeable.)

Sorry, again, but this is seriously poor stuff, from a professional news site.

11. Stephany Nunneley

Normally I don’t respond to comments like this CF, because no matter what’s said I would come of as being callous instead of amiable, which is the only way I intended. However, I am going to make an exception this time. So please do not take it as an affront, me being defensive, or giving some sort of flabby excuse.

First off, I am not a YTS trainee. Secondly, you are right, my editing skills are not completely up to snuff yet. When you have had multiple editors going over each piece of your work and mixing, changing, adding their two-cents and correcting small errors for the past 10 odd years, you tend to get a bit lazy. Thank you for the constructive criticism. Thirdly, I am not the best typist on the planet, and while that is no excuse, my fingers work faster than my brain sometimes. Fourth, and lastly, coming from an editorial background where you are expected by your overlords to be very wordy, and just prattle on to beat the band, I am still getting used to trying to convey the content of the story in as short a way as possible. No one wants to read a dissertation. They don’t have the time or desire for it.

Again, thank you for the constructive criticism it is much appreciated. :-)

12. G1GAHURTZ

Take a chill pill Fruitloop.

13. phatb0y

Those numbers don’t surprise me. Blood On The Sand is a funny one. After all, who would buy it?

Hiphop fans wouldn’t touch it. Gamers wouldn’t touch it. Naive parents/grandparents aren’t gonna touch it. So who does that leave? Just die-hard 50 Cent fans emulating Fiddy with their Argos bling and gamers who should know better but are willing to gamble on a potential train-wreck I guess. Now thats a niche market.

I think its a good game. Not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but a good bit of stupid fun, which is what a game should be. Tooling around Genericstan shooting anyone with a ‘tache and a tan is no more ludicrous a concept than homoerotic space marines or anime-inspired space Nazis. If it had it’s tongue in it’s cheek any further it would be locked into some rictus Joey Deacon permagrin.

If you play it expecting a good few hours of Con Air and not some ham-fisted attempt at Citizen Kane with railguns you’ll probably enjoy it.

A diamond encrusted skull and a fucking ‘cuss button’? This should have shit money.

14. The_Deleted

Maybe it’s because he’s an arrogant twat and anyone with a modicum of sense doesn’t give a fuck. If you’re going to play a mindless shooter, there are plenty around without having to listen to that twat wanking on throughout.
    I’m glad it failed, maybe now he’ll fuck off.