Mario Kart Wii sales beat 15 million, Will million-sellers reach 54

Thursday, 7th May 2009 07:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

mariokartwii5

Mario Kart Wii has now sold 15.4 million units, Nintendo said today as part of its full-year financial report, while the Wii Fit juggernaut powered to an astonishing 18.22 million units in fiscal ’09.

Games beating 1 million units on Wii now total 54, said the company.

Big sellers for the year:

DS

• Brain Age Series – 31.1 million
  • Pokemon Platinum – 3.8 million
  • Kirby super Star Ultra – 2.4 million

DS million-sellers = 91

Wii

• Mario Kart Wii – 15.4 million
  • Animal Crossing: City Folk – 3.4 million
  • Wii Music – 2.7 million
  • Wii Fit – 18.2 million

Wii Million Sellers = 54

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. Shatner

I read elsewhere that, according to usage stats collected by Nintendo, Super Smash Bros is the game most Wii owners spend time playing. Wii Fit, for all it’s sales wasn’t in the top 5 of ‘most played Wii games’ in spite of its ridiculous sales.

I reckon they could produce Wii Fit 2 with some snazzy looking peripheral that bumps the price up to £100 but is just a piece of plastic that doesn’t do anything at all – and nobody would know because they never use the damn thing.

The Wii truly is “The Emperor’s New Clothes” made real.

2. Gekidami

Didnt some place say that most people actually only use Wii Fit once then put it away?

3. Blerk

I think we’ve only played Mario Kart about three or four times since we got it back in November. Smash Bros I know for sure has been in the console precisely once since Christmas – same goes for SMG.

Our Wii tends to be a Wii Sports and Boom Blox machine on the whole.

Personally, I appear to be in a weird space between the casuals and the Nintendo freaks. Where there aren’t really any games to play. :-D

4. anasui

thats a shame. I play MK since release

5. DrDamn

@Blerk
    Exactly the same here. I keep meaning to go back to SMG though. We tend to play Boom Blocks and WiiSports exclusively on lads games night.

MK is fun but as a game horribly imbalanced. I bought Smash Bros on the Cube years ago and played it once, so wasn’t going to make the same mistake again. I’m sure it’s a great game for some but it’s just not for me.