3DRealms closes, Take-Two keeps hold of Nukem

By Patrick Garratt, Thursday, 7 May 2009 06:40 GMT

dukenukem2

3DRealms has closed, according to numerous reports, thanks to a lack of funding.

“It’s not a marketing thing,” said company webmaster webmaster Joe Siegler.

“It’s true. I have nothing further to say at this time.”

Take-Two issued a statement overnight, saying it’s retained the rights to Duke Nukem Forever.

“We can confirm that our relationship with 3D Realms for Duke Nukem Forever was a publishing arrangement, which did not include ongoing funds for development of the title,” said comms VP Alan Lewis.

“In addition, Take-Two continues to retain the publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever.”

Apogee Software and Deep Silver have confirmed that the closure has not affected Frontline Games’ upcoming handheld Duke Nukem Trilogy.

“Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms,” said a rep.

“Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned.”

No senior 3DRealms staffers have yet to make a statement.

It really was “forever,” then. Shacknews has the fullest report on this.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.

Comments

Headlines

3drealms

  • Four more employees may have left Infinity Ward

    According to a tweet from 3drealms’ George Broussard, four more Infinity Ward employees have left Activision today.

  • Duke Begins unearthed by Take-Two lawsuit

    A previously unknown Duke Nukem title, Duke Begins, has been unearthed in a lawsuit response from 3DRealms to Take-Two. The game was apparently in the works at a “well-known videogame developer” and was supposed to release by mid-2010. Development began within two months of an October 2007 funding agreement between 3DRealms and Take-Two, with the […]

Duke Nukem Forever