Survey asks if gamers would like a “karma system” in next GTA

Saturday, 2nd May 2009 15:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

gtaivtlad3

Play Insights sent out a survey asking if a karma system should be implemented into the Grand Theft Auto series.

Over on the WiiSpace forums, member Da Ill One posted a screenshot of it, and this is what it read:

Do you think Grand Theft Auto would benefit from having a “karma” system or “good” vs. “evil” actions mechanism that allowed you to choose your overall path by doing good or bad actions, where those actions have an accumulative impact on how the game unfolds? When answering, please consider the idea of being “good” or “evil” and NOT the particular execution / how this feature would be implemented.

Granted this is a survey and does not denote whether Rockstar would include such a feature in the next GTA game, but the thought is still intriguing.

Hit the link for more.

1. Hunam

God no. The joy of GTA is that you can be an utterly reprehensible human being without being judged. If you had a little ticker tutting at you every time you run over an old lady and wheelspan on her face you’d enjoy it less (or more, if you’re a psychopath).

2. Syrok

Less cellphones please.

3. hitnrun

Yes it would, because I think the formula has gotten so stale that tearing a bloody swath through cities has all the interest for me of shuffling between classes in grade school.

I think it would work as long as it didn’t become some thing where a karma-meter constantly haunted you and limited your options. I think the majority agree with Hunam, though.

4. ecu

No, it would ruin the game.

5. Neolucifer

I’d like it . Like being able to play a cop that get corrupted or go undercover .

6. Quiiick

@ Syrok
    I agree 100%. Less mobile-phones, please!

Regarding the karma-system: No!!!
    But I wouldn’t mind some RPG-elements in GTA5 where you can grow your character.

7. SlayerGT

Neo you read my mind. I could care less about a karma system, but I thought that Rockstar should make a GTA where that is the story. A cop faced with the typical corrupt stuff. Doing more cop activities. That’s all I do now that I beat GTA4. I have cop cars and SUVs at all my houses and just chase down perps. Anyone remember True Crime? I loved the idea but hated how terrible the game was. If Rockstar made a game based around being a cop….. I can only wish.

8. NiceFellow

I’d like to see them deliver something different, and maybe take some risks.

As SlayerGT points out why not a cop story for a change (after all some missions in GTA IV were straight Michael Mann rip offs) or give choice which way you go – do you help the cops, go undercover, risk discovery or do you try and succeed in crime?

Whatever though lose people calling you exactly when its most inconvenient – that truly sucks.

Mind you, given Houser has quoted he’d rather have creative freedom than respect (while essentially creating nothing but the same game multiple times) and that GTA only gets complaints because some people chose to behave badly in it (ignoring the fact there is essentially no other way to behave) I think he owes us some risks and a greater degree of freedom.

He’d make his quotes accurate as well.