Sony PS3 outsells Nintendo Wii for second month in Japan

Saturday, 2nd May 2009 19:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ps3a23

The PS3 has outsold Wii for the second month in a row in Japan.

Back in March, Sony beat out Nintendo for the first time in 16 months, and in April, numbers for the console soared to 108,360 units compared to 67,1176 Wiis.

The Xbox 360, by comparison, moved 27,381 units.

Sony attributes the strong sales to the Final Fantasy XIII demo that was released with Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete.

1. Hunam

Turns out the japanese are a fickle bunch after all.

2. Psychotext

Sadly these sales are still pretty poor all round. The Wii managed around 200k in April 08 and over 250k in April 07.

3. ecu

Seems over for Nintendo in Japan.

4. Hunam

Not if they release a redesigned Wii.

5. Spiral

Or give it a new hat.

6. anasui

I bet the Japanese are cool now

7. Esha

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: With a market like Japan’s, no matter which company is bragging the sales, they shouldn’t be.

I don’t know whether any of you follow imports/exports (probably not?) but if you look into the situation, at the moment we have about 10x being translated and going into Japan than we have coming out, and I believe even VG-247 recently did a story on how xenophobic Japan is becoming. These aren’t the 8/16-bit days any more, aside from occasionally on portables, Japan just isn’t really a noteworthy contributing factor.

So does it matter who’s selling a lot, there? Eh, no, not really, and it won’t until they start developing and exporting again like they used to, which is probably never going to happen. Now if Sony were outselling Nintendo and Monkeysoft (named for all the ‘cheeky’ little poo-flinging monkeys on Live) in the US, Europe, or even our humble UK, I expect I’d be pleasantly surprised and pleased.

Good grief, Sony, pull your socks up, the PC is probably doing beter than you at the moment. Not that I mind, the PC is being awesome at the moment, wot with the likes of Zeno Clash and Plants vs Zombies (which the ever so critical Edge gave 9/10 to).

Maybe the PS3 version of Free Realms will help turn things around a bit? MMOs could help the PS3 out in a big way, we’ll see.

Still, this? Nothing to be blowing a trumpet about.

8. No_PUDding

Esha, do you have many people to talk to? Or are monologues fine for you?

9. Michael O'Connor

“I believe even VG-247 recently did a story on how xenophobic Japan is becoming.”

As opposed to… always being that way?

Still, agreed with everything you said, and nice to see you back.