Commander Shepard could still be alive in Mass Effect 2

Saturday, 2nd May 2009 21:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

masseffecta2

Mass Effect fans should be happy to know that Commander Shepard may not be dead after all. Joy!

Casey Hudson, Mass Effect 2′s executive producer, hinted around in the latest BioWare developer blog that if Shepard is dead, it will mess things up a bit.

“I’ve heard some rumors that Commander Shepard is dead. Better not be,” he wrote.”We had a lot of big plans made, so if someone’s gone and killed Shepard then things are going to take an unexpected turn.”

Either he’s dead and we are being teased, or he is very much alive and just hiding somewhere.

Hopefully E3 will shed more light on things.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. ecu

Well, that’s just ruined Mass Effect 1 for me. Was going to start it next week, might as well not bother now.

2. revolting

Erm… I think what Casey was getting at was that the apparent rumours about his (or her!) death were a complete crock of uninformed krogan crap. Sheppard didn’t die. Ever. Not in any of the endings I did, at least.

It was pretty much a given that (s)he’s still alive and well, given the “next time on Mass Effect: more stuff happens” nature of the endings, and that they keep banging on about all that “don’t delete your save games if you want to carry your character over” stuff every other week.

3. anasui

he doesn’t die at the end of ME, I almost did of boredom anyways

4. Hunam

You suck.

5. jkoz

Jesus Christ, spoiler alerts much? The game’s not *that* old that we can go all “Aeris dies!”…

6. absolutezero

My Shepard is a she. It made the elevator trips slightly more bareable that I had a group of three ladies in battle armour.

7. The Benny

I’m not sure any of this truly counts as spoilers for the first game. This is entirely something that has been brought up by Mass Effect 2 marketing, it’s not announcing a resolution to something ambiguous in the original.

8. Khanivor

Well I suppose you could consider it a spoiler that the character you control does not die at the end of the game. Which, of course, is a very common way to end a game – killing the player character…