Moore: “No inkling” of next gen consoles, current cycle sales could be “biggest ever”

Friday, 1st May 2009 15:03 GMT By Patrick Garratt

xbox720

EA Sports president Peter Moore has told VG247 that he has yet to see sign of Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft working on next generation hardware, and that the current cycle has a “long runway”.

“There’s no inkling of any new development being done,” said the boss.

“I mean, I’m sure somewhere, someone in all three companies is working on it, but nothing that we see, and we’re excited about that, quite frankly.”

The existing generation could beat all records, said Moore.

“From an industry point of view, how long the cycle is, I think we’ve still got a long runway here ahead of us, and as a software publisher I’m enthusiastic,” he said.

“I think this could be our biggest generation ever, when you think of the sheer numbers.”

Moore added that stiff demand for current hardware meant we’re going to be working with existing machines for the foreseeable future.

“I think we’ve got a lot of money we can make in this generation ahead of us here, and hardware manufacturers in the same way don’t want to start making that investment while there’s still a lot of money to be made,” he said.

Moore was speaking to us in London at EA’s spring showcase last week. Parts one and two of the interview are now live.

1. Blerk

I hope he’s right. Rushing into a next-gen would be a terrible thing to do. Microsoft. If you’re listening.

2. Patrick Garratt

I really can’t see it. I just don’t understand Ubi when they say the next gen’s going to be here in a few years. It just isn’t.

3. Blerk

Unless Ubisoft are launching a console. The Clancytron, or something.

4. polygem

this is just marketing. they want people to believe it is better not to wait until a new system comes out. i am pretty shure there will be at least a new ms console late 2010 or 2011…

5. SticKboy

Polygem – seriously mate, at least don’t put down any money on it. There absolutely won’t be a new console *announcement* before 2012 at the very, very earliest.

My best guess is that new consoles hit store shelves in 2014.

6. polygem

i don´t know…people got so used to current gamestandards, especially graphicwise that they for sure soon want to see some major improvements being made…it´s hard to believe that the 360 can cope with this within the next 5 years…but yea 2012 could become reality though (sry for bad english – not native)

7. hitnrun

I’m going to split the difference between you two. (Edit: Oops, Polygem beat me to it.) My running prediction is Christmas 2012 for Nintendo and MS. MS might slip a year if their profits slip. Sony is probably much later due to their financial issues, and the fact that they already have Blu-Ray will decrease pressure on them to move forward.

You’ve got to remember that console tech is outdated before it even ships. Within a couple years I think the age will really begin to show compared to the stuff that will be possible and playable on the PC. Eventually it just makes cost sense to “blow everyone away” before the other guy does (to channel the 90s). So I expect in about 2 years serious work will start.

8. Razor

Ubi is probably talking about the PSP2 or Go!!! or whatever it is.

Sony are in position to launch new home console hardware though that’s for sure.

Who knows though.

9. Razor

Sony are in NO position even…

10. rainer

Look at ID software and their iD Tech 5 or 6 tech which was meant for PS3/360/PC they still haven’t shipped a title on it. Crytek only just got around to doing their middle-ware for the PS3/360 too.

I agree with Moore 100% this generation is going to be around for a lot longer. Only if things turn really bad for Microsoft would they launch another console so soon. Sony cant afford to and Nintendo doesn’t need to and will ride the Wii for as long as they can.

Also the PC really isn’t a factor in this (like it was before) because development costs are so high that very few if any developers want to make something like Crysis (which still hasn’t been topped graphically). All the biggest selling PC games and top tier studios aim for the low end Valve/Blizzard etc anyway.

So there wont be the major graphical gap on the PC compared to the consoles as most developers just wont spend the money with good reason if the PC SKU is not there biggest seller.

11. Psychotext

I’m sticking with my original prediction. New xbox in 2011, Wii HD in 2012. PS4, 2012 / 2013.

…and given the PC graphics cards coming this summer will have around 4x the power of the PS3, it wont be a moment too soon.

12. Patrick Garratt

I don’t think we’re going to see new consoles for another 4-5 years. I really believe it. Maybe we’ll get new Nintendo kit, but if “the industry” tried to make the jump to the next level in graphics it would collapse. PS3 really hasn’t got going yet in any real way, and 360 still feels fresh to me. I’m with Mr Moore.

13. mightyhokie

Well, I’m glad that was settled here…! =p

14. Patrick Garratt

heh

15. Psychotext

A counter argument: http://www.neowin.net/news/gamers/09/04/29/3d-why-a-new-xbox-is-coming-sooner-than-later

(I think he’s smoking something potent… but it’s still fairly interesting)

16. The Benny

Yeah, there definitely seem to be a few big assumptions there. I’m not sure there are that many gamers who are desperate for consoles to adopt the graphics card system of constant new iterations. In fact, I think a lot of console gamers would cite that behaviour as one of the reasons they aren’t PC gamers any longer.

Some of it is definitely interesting though, like games being compatible with both the new system and the 360.

17. blackdreamhunk

ok there is a few companies making cutting edge games for pc. I will give some exmaples project offset, operation flash point,Deus Ex3 alan awake. There is also a few game devs who said they try will top crysis with graphics and gameplay. Here is some links to prove this point.

Deus Ex3

operation flash point

Project offset

also all the bad games on pc are starting to look better than all the games on consoles.

Then there is the fact Ea wants to make the best shooter ever made. I am not sure how true that is, if that is the case it will be on the pc.