Director says Xbox is “the most dreadful, non-talent friendly company” ever

Tuesday, 28th April 2009 22:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

jamesgunn

Director James Gunn, from the “Horror Does Comedy” original series on Xbox Live, wrote on his site that Microsoft was “by far the most dreadful, non-talent friendly company” he ever worked for.

Ouch.

Gunn points out that Microsoft rejected his first film, and “cut the living shit” out of the second despite the company promising him “complete creative freedom.”

Since his second film was cut so much, Gunn presented “Sparky & Mikaela” to the firm, but apparently it was not acceptable either.

“As long as it was PG-13, with no sex, they said it would be all right,” he wrote . “So that’s what I shot. But they saw it and, again, freaked out. Obviously they had no fucking idea what PG-13 was, as they wanted me to cut the words “penis” and “vagina.” They made me cut a piece of very fake poop and a bunch of other stuff. And then, when they were done making me cut things, they took the final cut and cut it up themselves even more before airing it.”

Loads more ranting after the break.

“To sum things up, Warner Bros was a bastion of creative freedom on SCOOBY DOO 2 in comparison. I’m not exaggerating or being facetious. Microsoft/XBox was by far the most dreadful, non-talent friendly company I’ve ever worked for.

“People on XBox are playing Grand Theft Auto 4, getting blowjobs from hookers and shooting them in the heads afterwards! … But Microsoft wouldn’t let us get close to the extremity of that material, so I don’t know how in the world they planned to create their own successful original content. … I really think XBox could have been their own Network, as well as a gaming console, DVR, and way to buy movies.

“I saw them as the future. But because of the small-mindedness of the Microsoft executives, who preemptively censored a lot of our scenes for fear of freaking out stockholders, they crushed the potential for something that would have kept them relevant for a long time to come.”

Read the rest of this great rant through the link.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Captain Fruitloop

Where’ve you been? This story broke days ago.

ZOMG! Burying bad news to protect your M$ paymasters!

2. Stephany Nunneley

If MS was paying us, like you suggest, I would be eating much more than Ramen noodles for dinner tonight.

3. Captain Fruitloop

Ahh, you’re just the patsy. Pat’s probably living it up like a pig in shit that’s just had its flu vaccination. :)

4. No_PUDding

xD

5. ShiroGamer

VG24 dont pay?
    O_O

6. Stephany Nunneley

It was a joke Shiro. I was to trying bring a bit of humor to being accused of sitting in M$’s pocket. ;-)

7. Seraphemz

( why do i think naughty stuff every time i read stephs posts…)

8. Michael O'Connor

Sounds to me more like someone is acting all butthurt simply because Microsoft rejected their crappy idea.

9. ShiroGamer

oh in that case… :)
    you know that’s the usual me :P
    plus the fact that i was listening to Robbie Williams while typing that
    :D

10. Blerk

The fact that this guy did the Scooby Doo movies automatically invalidates absolutely anything that he has to say. About anything.

11. viralshag

“as they wanted me to cut the words “penis” and “vagina.” They made me cut a piece of very fake poop and a bunch of other stuff.”

Like what? A rubber chicken and some sock puppets. Sounds like something no one would watch anyway.

12. Digital Bamboo

I just hope MS & the comedic arts can survive without him.

13. Dragon246

This is unfair to MS. Every console maufacturer would have rejected such shows.

14. Ireland Michael

This is three years old, people.

15. zinc

Is their a particular reason this long dead thread o_0 has been dug up?

16. Deacon

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

17. G1GAHURTZ

What’s the deal with commenting on this story, viral?

Did you know it was from 2009?

18. Deacon

It would be logical to assume that it popped up on the new ‘more from VG247′ thing? maybe?

19. zinc

^ If that was the case, then there seems to be a technical glitch :-/

20. Ireland Michael

Some spam was posted on it earlier, dragging it to the top of the comments sections.

It’s amazing how much three years can change your perspective though. Xbox pretty much is one of the most dreadful, non-talent friendly companies ever. Couldn’t agree with that assessment more.

21. viralshag

Hahaha! My bad people! It was on the new bar things and I didn’t even think to check the date!

22. Dragon246

Same here. Feels stupid now :)

23. ManuOtaku

Dont feel bad guys for one moment i was typing to Ireland Michel that someone was using his old name XD, until i see your posts, fewwwww that was a close one.

24. TheBlackHole

“dreadful, non-talent”

From the director of Scooby Doo 2.

I’d edit the shit out his bullshit films too.

25. absolutezero

Oh hey I don’t like what you like so I’m going to poo poo the fuck out of whatever valid point you might have had.

26. TheBlackHole

How is

“I made a program they didn’t like, and so they cut it”

a valid point?

That’s what happens in Hollywood ALL THE TIME. IF you front the money, you have every right to have a creative say in the matter unless contractually stipulated otherwise.

If you want creative control, fund your shit independently.

27. absolutezero

He said that MS was worse than Warner Brothers. He has worked with both.

He said that MS getting wound up about content when the console is home to far far worse is a joke.

Or am I reading it wrong here? Am I missing something where he has a huge cry about MS butchering his shitty web-video? Something they paid him to produce, asked him to cut and then proceeded to cut more without contacting him?

28. viralshag

If I paid someone to paint my portrait and gave them creative freedom, and it turned out to be complete shit, I wouldn’t hang it on my wall.

Doesn’t make that person a shit painter, just means I don’t want a shit painting on my wall. And it is my wall after all.

29. absolutezero

What if you paid someone to paint a portrait and at the sametime said “you have complete creative freedom”.

Then when the painting was delivered and it was smeared with shit, instead of sending it back because you were displeased with it you waited for the artist to leave and cut the corners off the canvas and drew on it with marker pen.

Oh and your other room next door is filled with even worse paintings. That you did nothing to.

Then you went onto fire all the competant painters in your employ and hire terrible artists instead.

I like this metaphor.

30. viralshag

My wall, my painting, my money paid for it.

I’d write it off as a bad investment and do what I could to make it half decent.

And as for the next room scenario, it’s completely different. He’s talking about non-MS games.

31. OrbitMonkey

@29 wait are you suggesting that this theoretical painting comes attached with a EULA?

If it doesn’t, then he could theoretically do what the fuck he wanted with the picture he bought.

32. absolutezero

The quality of the work is not what is in question here though.

The “Other Room” would be other videos available on things like Inside Xbox and the like. More specifically Log’s videos for OXM.

33. viralshag

@32, It kinda is. He is complaining they edited his movie. If it was really that good, they shouldn’t need to do that. Having bothered to go to YouTube to watch some of it, I really don’t blame them.

The bottom line is, they paid someone to do something, it was shit, they made changes. They’re entitled to do that. Unless they contracted him and let him retain full rights to his work, which I doubt.

Who cares, anyway, it’s a three year old story about a shit web short.

34. OrbitMonkey

@33, Well to be fair, YOU started it ;-)

35. absolutezero

I know its shit and im not comparing James Gunn to anything of worth. They said at the start of project that he had full creative control over what he was about to create. He made it with that knowledge, MS did’nt like it, which is fine they paid for it.

I just find it hard to swallow that people are ok with taking another persons hard work and completely chopping it up as they see fit.

Imagine someone funding an actual artist, giving them free reign to do whatever they like and then taking a chisel to it once its finished. Its depressing. Thank God thats a pretty rare thing.

“I worked really hard on this though, can you at least take another look at it? Or hey even better just not use it at all I would prefer that to you cutting it apart with none of my input as the creator.”

“Fuck you bitch LOADSA MONEY.”

36. viralshag

@34, By accident… I just thought I was joining in on an already going topic. :D

@35, In movies and in games I would imagine it probably happens a lot more than you think. Which is why we get directors cuts of films for example. I imagine it was quite clear from the beginning he wouldn’t have final cut permission.

It sounds like he knew what he was getting himself in for, and then isn’t happy with the final outcome. Which is fair, I get that, but if that’s what he was paid for I would say suck it up or work out a better contract next time. ;)

37. Custard Ganet

Yeah and how he is directing the new “Guardians of the Galaxy” film,i have enjoyed the marvel movies so far but i dunno bout this guy…