Nintendo UK ad campaign pushes online capabilities

Wednesday, 22nd April 2009 14:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

wiiaNintendo UK has started pushing its online multiplayer games via an eight-week marketing campaign on the official website.

Called ‘Get it Online’, the campaign heavily promotes the online capabilities of Wii through a banner. When clicked, the visitor is taken to a series of 16 different videos touting Wii’s various features and explaining how to get online through the console.

According to Edge, loads of of multiplayer footage is featured in the spots along with the Wii Shop, web browser, and visitors to the site can submit their mobile number so they can watch the videos on their cell.

The purpose of the campaign is to become more competitive in the online market. Xbox Live is predicted to rake-in $1 billion (£680 million) in subscription fees by 2013, according to research firm In-Stat.

1. Blerk

You can play Wii games online? :-D

2. Tonka

I can see the campaign is needed. Not even gamers know it has on-line capabilities. Yes Blerk, you can play on-line. It even has a store where you can download some great games.

3. sickpuppysoftware

Online you say? Nope, it’ll never catch on

4. that_happy_cat

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen ad banners saying I can “get it online” and I’m pretty sure they weren’t aimed at the same target auidence

5. Blerk

I’ve downloaded stuff to the Wii before, but I’ve never taken games online. Mainly because I’ve no interest in doing so, but it seems so overly fiddly that I haven’t even attempted a ‘just to see’ session.

6. Tonka

Maybe one of your kids could help you gramps?

7. Blerk

Watch it, sonny!

8. anasui

MK online is tragically fun, and horrendously addictive. It slighly get on your nerves though

9. Whizzo

Friends codes are fabulous and not inconvenient in any way.