Black Rock Studios says racing genre is “dying”, Split/Second will save it

Wednesday, 22nd April 2009 15:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

splitsecondaBlack Rock Studios’ Tony Beckwith has told Develop that the racing genre is “dying out” and the firm’s new title Split/Second will save it.

“If you look at the sales figures, the racing genre is, in many respects, dying out,” said Beckwith. “Take Mario Kart out of the equation and the genre is in a dire way.”

“We’re all fans of street racing here, but as a genre it is relatively stale – the evolution is only coming from how customize cars, which can only serve to remove you from the action. I think Split/Second will do the opposite.”

Made by the same folks who developed Pure, Split/Second enables players to strategically take out their opponents by altering the course in real time.

It’s slated for a 2010 release for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

More through the links.

Thanks, DarkZero.

1. Blerk

Er.. Burnout says hi!

2. Psychotext

Didn’t exactly set the world on fire with regards to sales though.

That said, even if you do take Mario Kart out of the equation there’s still Gran Turismo and Forza which sell well.

3. G1GAHURTZ

I’m still waiting for TDU 2.

4. Blerk

But surely Burnout is Split/Second’s nearest similar competitor?

And there’s not a snowball’s chance in hell it’ll outsell that, never mind Mario Kart. Mario Kart’s on another planet.

5. Michael O'Connor

“Didn’t exactly set the world on fire with regards to sales though.”

You’re kidding, right? In the first few weeks alone, it sold nearly a million copies. That was over a year ago, and the game continues to get spikes of interest when new content is released. Not to mention the recent box set, which probably shifted a few hundred thousand copies at least.

I’d easily estimate sales of the game have hit nearly 2 million, at the least.

6. G1GAHURTZ

Arguably, and IMO, Midnight Club LA is the current king of street racers.

7. DrDamn

Picked up Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box for £16 – and got Trivial Pursuit bundled with it (360) … Bargain!

8. Cort

Burnout: Paradise has done over 2m (without counting PSN sales) and it has legs too.

9. Harry

There are hardly any good racers around to tempt us with our cash, that’s the real problem.

The last NFS was rubbish. RACE Pro wasn’t quite good enough.

We haven’t had anything from Bizarre or Turn 10 for ages, you can wait a lifetime for Polyphony to release anything.

The genre isn’t dying in terms of sales, we’re just not given anything to buy.

10. ecu

What are you guys disagreeing with? He’s pretty much right. The racing genre isn’t in a great way at the moment, apart from Mario Kart (which he acknowledged, and never said Split/Second would outsell it).

In fact, he never said Split/Second would outsell anything, he simply highlighted how it would be different to other racing games.

11. Blerk

Well, he said they would ‘save’ the genre. Which sort of suggests that they think they’re going to outperform all the existing players by some distance. Otherwise they wouldn’t be saving it, would they?

12. tenthousandgothsonacid

He goes on to say ” “If you look at screenshots of racing games, they all kind of look the same. [The minimal HUD is] another example of how we’re trying something different”

Do you think he covers his ears and eyes and goes “lalalalala” every time someone even mentions Burnout Paradise ?

13. Psychotext

Where are these Burnout Paradise sales numbers coming from?

Last I saw it was at 1m between the PS3 and 360 about three months after it launched. Solid sales, but not what I’d consider setting the world on fire for a multiplatform title.

14. ecu

No, I’m sure Burnout Paradise is a huge influence to them, and I’m sure he would admit that, too.

Blerk, he never said it would save the genre. That was added in by Stephany here by the looks of it. If you read the feature he’s just being optimistic about his game. This is how journalism works though, you quote out of context to make someone sound like they’re being more vehement than they actually are. They way you guys are talking, you’re making it sound like he came out and said Burnout was shit and they’d crush every other game around. He said nothing of the sort.

15. Shatner

EA’s Need For Speed games were often the Xmas number 1 game. It got to a point that it had happened so often that it was regarded as a foregone conclusion.

The guy specifically mentioned software sales, but I don’t think there’s much merit to his claims. He was wise to make a special exception for Mario Kart though, those Nintendo devotees would have slaughtered him if he’d implicated a Nintendo IP in his statement!

16. Gamoc

Don’t forget GRID!

17. theevilaires

EVERYTHING IS DYING !

the FIGHTING GENRE was DYING…until SF4

the SURVIVAL HORROR GENRE was DYING…until RE5

the CASUAL GENRE was DYING…until the Wii

Now its the RACING GENRE?…until Black Rock Studios saves the day?….HEY BLACK ROCK….STFU you stupid mother fucking,dumb ass,pussy lipped cock sucking,shit heads!!!!!!!!! You’re not saving shit because the Racing Genre was never on the ropes. You will be lucky if your game does a fraction of what elite racing titles like Burnout and GT5 have. As a matter of fact I have a feeling the only thing thats going to be dying is your studio after thousands and thousands of copies are pirated…I’m psychic!

18. phatb0y

Burnout, GT-P, Midnight Club, Wipeout, Mario Kart, GRID, Ridge Racer, Motorstorm, PGR etc.

Yeah, that genre is well and truly fucked.

What we need is racing with a gimmick. I know…

EXPLOSIONS!!

Why did nobody think of that before?

19. Michael O'Connor

“What we need is racing with a gimmick. I now…

EXPLOSIONS!!

Why did nobody think of that before?”

SEGA tried that.

It flopped. Massively.

20. ElfShotTheFood

Reminds me of Stuntman: Ignition.

21. Syrok

There is a distinct lack of proper rally games, though.

I wish the guys who made the WRC titles could work on a new one, instead of Motorstorm.

22. G1GAHURTZ

Reminds me of Stuntman: Ignition.

I was playing that the other day. Outside of the game engine, it’s really well presented.

I was surprised.

23. Harry

I agree Syrok. Motorstorm seems a real waste of talent when you consider how much better the WRC games were. But we’re in the world of lowest common denominator publishing now – so don’t hold out any hope.

24. ecu

Split/Second actually looks really good though, and the previews have suggested it will be.

25. Hakkiz

Syrok: WRC games will hardly be revived until the WRC series revives itself. However, I think Richard Burns Rally is still a very, very compelling game in that genre if you have a decent computer to play it on. Just add some mods like HDR-like bloom and current season and it’s almost like a new game. :)

26. mightyhokie

I loved dIrt and, of course, Burnout.

27. OrphanageExplosion

As I understand it, there are few ex-Burnout coders working at Black Rock now. But kudos to BR for the Pure engine, which is absolutely fantastic. I’m guessing it’s too much to hope that Split/Second is 60 frames per second.

28. ashers2ashers

@DrDamn:
    That deal is amazing!
    I really did love Burnout 3 and revenge and have long thought about getting Paradise, when the ultimate box came out – and relatively cheap too – I knew I’d get it some day, maybe preowned. But that is a good price, let alone with another game too!

Admittedly it’s ‘only’ trivial pursuit, but I enjoy a bit of general knowledge and is another game you can play with everyone in the family.

So I’m definitely getting that when I have sufficient funds. :P