Dead Rising 2 – first gameplay footage shown in Tokyo

Tuesday, 21st April 2009 06:17 GMT By Patrick Garratt

deadrising2

Capcom aired the first gameplay footage of Dead Rising 2 in Tokyo this morning, showing the game’s protagonist attacking zombies in casinos with a chainsaw and a broom.

He was also shown wearing an animal skull like a mask. Scary.

A movie for the game was promised for XBLA soon, but no specific details were given.

1. lelik

this looks like a video game about me. i’m always fighting microsoft zombies on the internet, and I have a bicycle in my basement. i been to the mall a couple times too.

2. Blerk

Haven’t played the first one yet.

3. Patrick Garratt

It’s not that great. Did well at the time because there wasn’t much else around for 360.

4. Mike

Ditto.

5. mart

Wrong.

6. Axle

Dead Rising was a tech demo for 360 and not a great game. Ironically, it’s not that easy to get hold of and I think the second-hand price is appreciating in some stores.

7. Gekidami

Pat actually played Dead Rising? By the gods!
    I didnt find it that bad, i liked the concept, the only beef i has was that the game was pretty repetitive and had a rather small map.

8. revolting

I must be in the minority, I really liked Dead Rising. It was the game I bought a 360 for and with in the first place.

I’m slightly obsessed with zombie movies, and lament the fact that most zombie games are utterly, utterly stupid (looking right at you, Stubbs and Burn Zombie Burn), capturing none of things that are great about their cinematic counterparts. Dead Rising was the first and only one to come close to getting it right, and since Dead Rising, only the other decent zombie apocalypse offering has been Left 4 Dead. Any Resident Evil after the first one, while not necessarily suffering from a severe case of the stupids, appears to be more about squidmen mutants, slightly cross villagers and crocodiles than actual zombies.

9. Gekidami

I agree with you revolting, Dead Rising is the only decent ‘Zombie simulator’ out, i think L4D is utter bull shit though.

10. Hunam

Dead Rising is fantastic, dunno what Pat and Mike are on about, those crazy loons. Classic arcady style fun mixed in with some hallmark Capcom bosses of murder.

11. Gekidami

Pat and Morriss like Crackdown and Rare’s stuff, they clearly have no taste in games :D

12. revolting

Well, to be honest, I also loved Crackdown. Granted, I only got it for the Halo preview, which I suspect was the case with most who got it, but I actually ended up having a blast with it. Great fun, massively under-rated. The Halo preview was the worst thing that could have happened to it… no doubt it boosted the initial sales by a significant ammount, but it also had the unfortunate side effect of 99% of the day-one buyers being the completely wrong audience for the game and giving it a terrible reputation on the interwebs, helped none when they then had to wait half a year with a game they never wanted in the first place before actually getting into the Halo 3 preview.

The game itself was great fun though, one of the better “screw around in a sandbox” affairs, and on it’s own Haloless merits easily earned a spot in my top 10 360 games.

13. Deanzor

Judging it solely on the homepage image of a man on a motorbike INDOORS with a load of zombies: MAXIMUM OSSUM.

14. The Benny

I enjoyed Crackdown, which I bought because I enjoyed the demo. Didn’t even use the Halo 3 thing.

Dead Rising wasn’t perfect, with clunky controls and awful NPC AI, but I still had a lot of fun with it. It’s well worth the £13 Amazon are selling it at. I’m very much looking forward to the sequel too.

15. anasui

DR was such a boring ass game, Crackdown on the other hand was loads of mindless fun. I can see why people like it though

16. mightyhokie

I liked them both. Never finished DR, though, but have played Crackdown a couple of times.