SCEA: “We’ve captured the hardcore” with PS3, will push for casual later this year

Monday, 20th April 2009 12:54 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3131

Sony has told VG247 that it’s “captured the hardcore” with PS3, and while it will serve that central user with titles such as Heavy Rain and God of War III later this year, it plans on pushing further into the casual space with the console.

“There’s certainly a line-up of very strong family-friendly titles that we’re looking at for PS3 in our continuing effort to appeal to that casual consumer,” said SCEA hardware marketing boss John Koller, speaking at GDC.

“We’ve captured the hardcore. The install base we have now tells us that the hardcore’s purchased. We’re moving on now to continue to support them with a tremendous line-up of games, but also look at softer brands that maybe we had with PS2 franchises we’re bringing over to PS3, or new IP.”

Koller told us to look to the past for hints to PS3′s future.

“Think of some of the latter-half PS2 franchises,” he said.

E3′s not that far away, is it?

1. Lutz

Yeah, good luck with that.

2. Retroid

The hardcore what, exactly?

Anyway – I think he means they’ve not got to make it appeal more to the mass market, which I agree with.

3. Tiger Walts

It’s amazing what analyses you can make with your head buried in the sand.

If they want the PS3 to be mass market then it needs to be sold at a mass market price.

4. Prof Power Glove

Aye, whom be the hardcore? Blu-ray early adopters? :P

These Koller quotes keep coming don’t they…I bet you guys have a big bag of them to tap into for potential daily news stories. Yeah, I know how it works, i’ve seen Charlie Brooker’s Newswipe. ;)

5. Blerk

Wasn’t Heavy Rain supposed to appeal to a wider demographic?

6. phatb0y

Dragon’s Lair was pretty popular. Heavy Rain should do okay.

7. Prof Power Glove

“Dragon’s Lair was pretty popular. Heavy Rain should do okay.”

LOL. I preferred Space Ace. :P

8. G1GAHURTZ

Delusional nonsense.

9. krakdol

Look at all that butthurt 360 fanboys. Stop making bitter comments, just buy a PS3 and be happy… I’d feel bad too if no AAA exclusive was released on my console in months.

Go Sony, we love you. More casual games I don’t know if I’ll care, but I must admit eyepet looks cool.

My most anticipated releases are Heavy Rain, Infamous, God of war 3, Gran turismo 5 and the new Team ICO game (shadow of the colossus, ICO).

10. Dr.Haggard

“Go Sony, we love you.”

/speechless

11. G1GAHURTZ

What Sony really need is some sort of cutesy platformer. Maybe one with a twist, where you can uhh… I dunno… build your own levels or something really innovative like that.

Surely a family-friendly game like this would appeal to the casual market.

But where would they find a team to develop such a game?

12. G1GAHURTZ

Go Sony, we love you.

Stay off the ‘krak’

13. deftangel

I don’t expect them to make much headway until there is a dramatic reduction in price. I’m sure Sony will fare better at $299 than Microsoft did but as the Arcade model showed, things really picked up at $199 as per previous generations. They have a fair way to go to get there.

14. Panipal2005

At least they’ll do it without going, ‘releasing good games? Fuck that’ like some companies/Assholes I could mention.

15. Neolucifer

I never get those comments .. it’s PR , it’s bound to be positive and exagerated .
    Remember when Regis told us thei E3 was a success and shown hardcore games like animal crossing and gta ? Well it’s pretty much the same

And is it such a big lie anyway ? Arent most sony games from fall 2008 till today and the upcoming future non casual games ?

16. anasui

after three years, Sony’s PR is still a source of comedy gold

17. DrDamn

Given the price difference and the 360 at a mass market price for quite a while – I think they’d should have much more of a lead built up. They’ve done it in the US but not elsewhere.

I expected the PS3 to be much more price competitive by now and be making a few in roads on the 360′s lead. It hasn’t come down in price, yet the 360 really hasn’t pulled away much has it? That’s providing Sony with some comfort and has to have MS a little concerned.

18. No_PUDding

Yeah the perceptions here are about as skewed as the PR mans words.

VG247 is manufacturing hype for Sony’s E3, so people have an excuse to be let down. That’s gotta be it!

19. Shatner

“These Koller quotes keep coming don’t they…I bet you guys have a big bag of them to tap into for potential daily news stories.”

Yup. When Pat needs to create news he just drip feeds quotes and spins them into something the usual “gotta-dispute-anything-that-Sony-say” commenters can’t resist.

It’s telling how the internet’s biggest (and most hypocritical) 360 fanboy hovers around Sony-focused topics more than any other topics isn’t it?

I think it’s envy that motivates him more than anything else. :D

20. Michael O'Connor

The funny thing is, Sony already has a stronger grasp on the casual market than Microsoft, thanks to a number of long running “casual” titles they’ve successfully kept running for almost half a decade now.

It’s not quite as big a grasp on the market as Nintendo has, but its still clearly a substantial part of their business model.

Saying they’ve captured the hardcore market though? *shakes head* You keep believing that Sony. The 360 (and PC) already has that market sewn up type, if games sales are anything to go by.

21. frod

He said this at GDC?

22. haowan

“E3’s not that far away, is it?”

Hope you still have enough stuff left over from this interview to fill the gap!

23. dirigiblebill

Could you give us a ballpark figure for how much GDC stuff you have left, Pat? ;)

24. Patrick Garratt

I’m almost done with Mr Koller. I’ve still got stuff from Ray and Greg, Rod Fergusson, Michael Pachter and Peter Molyneux to go.

Don’t worry, though: it’s the EA Euro showcase this week. You should see how many interviews I’ve got lined up for that :)

25. G1GAHURTZ

Woo hoo!

26. Psychotext

“Hope you still have enough stuff left over from this interview to fill the gap!”

:D

27. G1GAHURTZ

Keep it coming Pat, keep it coming.

btw, why aren’t you on NewsNow?

28. Patrick Garratt

When I launched the site the refused to include it because of its nature. Not enough exclusively-generated content, they said ;)

29. G1GAHURTZ

Oh right. Well you’ve got loads now…

30. The_Deleted

He’s a bit late with the casual market. They’ve got the Wii and, price wise, the 360, if they do want something a little more robust. The PS3 is just too damned expensive. You want a bigger market share it needs to made available at a competitive, marketable price.

31. Johnny Cullen

Dear god, please tell me thats not an album cover from a rave album.

I’ll kill myself if it is. I CAME TO VIDEOGAMES TO GET AWAY FROM THAT SHIT! :(

32. Shatner

It is. They changed it from an earlier ‘funny’ “hardcore” logo because THAT’S WHAT PROPER JOURNALISM IS ABOUT.

Funny how they don’t ever change that Kojima-in-front-of-a-wall-of-360 logos isn’t it?

Actions certainly speak louder than words. And they don’t even need to be spell-checked either. :D

33. Johnny Cullen

Goodbye.

*loads gun and shoots self*

34. Cort

Nearly as bad as “we’re equal first with Nintendo this generation”.