Report: 3 million US children addicted to videogames

Monday, 20th April 2009 17:41 GMT By Patrick Garratt

addiction

Whoops. An Iowa State University study has found that 8.5 percent of game-playing American youths aged 8-18 show multiple signs of behavioral addiction.

From this Washington Post piece:

The study found that 88 percent of the nation’s children ages 8 to 18 play video games. With 45 million children of that age in the country, the study would suggest that more than 3 million are addicted “or at least have problems of the magnitude” that call for help, Gentile said.

“It’s not that the games are bad,” said Gentile, who is also director of research at the nonprofit National Institute on Media and the Family. “It’s not that the games are addictive. It’s that some kids use them in a way that is out of balance and harms various other areas of their lives.”

Full thing through there. Scary reading.

1. Syrok

Nice picture. :)

2. mightyhokie

Reeeeee-taaarded.
    No such thing as ‘addicted’ to video games. So because I average 20 hours a week playing video game I guess I’m an addict. If so, how can I go on vacations? How about go out of town for the weekend to visit my parents? Could a heroin addict go that long without his junk? How about a smoker? An alcoholic?
    Ummmmm…no, no such thing. Simply another reason for some governement committee and to take more power away from the American citizen for ‘our own good’.
    You’ll take my game controller away from me when you pry it from my cold, dead hand. These assholes make me sick.

3. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!

4. Psychotext

Would have been better if he’d said “You can take my PSP / DS away…”

:P

5. freedoms_stain

@mightyhokie

there’s a world of difference between behavioural addiction (subject of news) and chemical addiction (irrelevant comparison made by you)