SCEA: E3 2009 to be one of the biggest in the past 11 years

Friday, 17th April 2009 15:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps31

SCEA hardware marketing boss John Koller is expecting this year’s E3 to be one of the most significant for the company in the last 11 years.

“It’s going to be a big E3,” Koller told VG247, talking at GDC.

“We’ve just started planning what the announcements will be, but I’ve been here for 11 years: this will be one of the larger E3s in terms of software and just discussions about where we’re going from a brand perspective and where each of the platforms is headed.”

It’s widely rumoured that PlayStation’s biggest brands are going to be megatonning Sony’s E3 press conference in June, and Koller did nothing to dampen expectation.

“I think some of the big announcements are going to come of the software side. We talked a bit at Destination PlayStation, and came out with about half of the PSP line-up, maybe even less, and the balance we’re going to be talking about in the months leading up to e3 and at E3,” he said.

“The same goes for PS3. There’s a really strong line-up of games that’s going to help drive a lot of business.”

Bring. It. On. E3 takes place in LA in the first week of June.

1. No_PUDding

A strong lineup like Killzone 2?

Or am I being unfair?

EDIT: You all know what constitutes an ultimate E3 for me.

2. Psychotext

I wonder how many of the games they announced in previous years E3 will be out by then. ;)

We know what’s coming for Pud. ohgodihopesoortherewillbebloodinthestreets

3. G1GAHURTZ

PS4.

4. No_PUDding

Hey, if GT5 and Team ICO’s project are there… I don’t know how I will react.

@G1GA, I really think it’s possible the PS4 could be software. So who knows, eh!?

5. Psychotext

Looking at the latest GT5 rumours I’d say that it’s a certainty for E3.

6. Blerk

They say this every year. All of them. And then ultimately the whole thing turns out to be stuff we already knew or rubbish we don’t care about. :-D

7. Johnny Cullen

“We’re pulling out of the console business.”

*cue N4G going into meltdown*

8. Johnny Cullen

PT: Que? First I heard of GT5 rumors? TELL ME MOAR!

9. Patrick Garratt

Pud – It’s going to happen. You will have the PS3 ICO dream.

10. Johnny Cullen

Pat – XD :D

Tell us moar, what about Heavy Rain & GOWIII?

11. Spiral

If it did I might just have to wet myself in anticipation. Hell, I might do it anyway, just for fun.

12. SilentLoner

this place is really anti sony isn’t it?

Jeepers

13. G1GAHURTZ

@ PUD:

PS Cloud FTW!

14. Monk

we will see !! ..

which i think it`s Price Cut
    the biggest thing may happen in E3
    or PS3 slim -__-”

15. Psychotext

@JC: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15490667&postcount=1

16. Patrick Garratt

Cullen – I’d be very surprised if HR and GoWIII didn’t feature prominently. They have to, innit.

17. theevilaires

SilentLoner said:this place is really anti sony isn’t it?

use to be worst when psycho and morriss were tag teaming every sony article. :P

18. No_PUDding

Yeah but Team ICO’s project really doesn’t have to. It WAS supposed to be at TGS 08, so I just don’t trust anything now. GT5 will be good enough. Man I miss a proper fully featured GT game.

Anyway, everything else, I don’t care about. Well Uncharted 2 I do.

19. G1GAHURTZ

Break apart motion sensing controller for the Blu-Ray-less download only PS3.5

20. No_PUDding

You know…. Would not mind it. As long as it costs £50 on release.

21. DaMan

these guys say that all the time indeed..

22. No_PUDding

If I am honest it will be a failure for me, lacking those titles. But the reason I believe that Sony will ahve a hard time screwing it up, is becuase, they are doing more of a Microsoft this year. Which is awesome.

MAG, Infamous, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain and God of War 3. We’ve seen very very little of all of them. They are announced but we’ve not seen much, outside of teasing.

Anyway, the point is, there’s not much way to screw up when you have tons still to show. But this is Sony, so there will be a giant enemy crab somewhere in there.

23. Robo_1

Got to be a 100 dollar PS3 price cut, coupled with the unveiling of a new PSP. That’s the tag team that will score them a major hit this year. Reveal TRICO and confirm GoW3 for this year, and it’s a home run.

Maybe Tears of Blood will finally be unveiled, or has that been quietly canned. :(

24. reask

100 Dollar price cut would be nice.

25. theevilaires

I remember when sony use to rule E3 with an iron fist but the last couple of years have been lack luster. The only thing that could make Sony reclaim their past E3 glory is to bring back Ken and Phil. Phil was the man.

26. Blerk

A Ueda game unveil and some more Heavy Rain would be nice.

What historical Sony properties are we still awaiting a next-gen update of? Syphon Filter? Jak and Daxter? Er….? Help me out here.

27. Blerk

Bring back Ken? Are you a nutcase?

Oh wait, you are. Carry on! :-D

28. theevilaires

they should do a ps3 and psp bundle for $399 or drop the ps3 to $299 and the psp to $149 (because we all know the psp2 is coming)

29. theevilaires

Blerk you almost made me laugh… almost is the key word there. Why do people who don’t currently have any up to date sony hardware feel like they have an opinion in sony articles? Just wondering…. :P

30. Psychotext

Ahh… it’s TEA. Any comments on the Halo Wars sales TEA? You’ve obviously had quite a lot to say on it in the past…

/licks lips

31. Blerk

Whose lips?

32. Robo_1

Rumours were going around of a Syphon Filter update in the works. That would be very nice, I’m a huge fan of the series, and the PSP games were top. Hasn’t a new Jak & Daxter game been announced, but for PS2.

They certainly don’t seem willing to drop PS2 quite yet, a new Motorstorm and Jak game does show continued interest in the platform.

33. theevilaires

what did i say. you seem to be having an orgasm of some kind eh

34. theevilaires

i told you he was gay

35. No_PUDding

Blerk, going by Wikipedia. Ape Escape, The Getaway, Eyetoy, Twisted Metal, Sly Cooper, Detruction Derby, MediEvil and PaRappa The Rapper.

I’d love next gen sequels to all of them personally. Especially MediEvil and Ape Escape. Scratch that, I don’t want an Eyetoy sequel at all!

36. Psychotext

I was just eagerly awaiting your response TEA. I figured we may have been in for a treat of a rant.

37. G1GAHURTZ

38. theevilaires

he must be busy digging up my past comments. Oh well good luck because i know what i already said and it wasn’t really anti M$ that much. Funny how you burst into a sony story only to confront me on the NPD sales of halo wars :P

39. Psychotext

Burst into a Sony story? I was here first! \o/

Would it be worth digging up your comments btw? Anything good there? I can take a guess at what you might have said.

“lol xbox fag M$ halol kiddy rts KZ2 rules”

40. No_PUDding

Psychotext, you can’t talk about post history. You know my subterfuge skills. And that’s not a nod for you to be more isane than you are TEA, I was just joking.

More to the point though, you are both less fanboys than me, because you both have all the HD consoles. So lets stop fighting and hug, shall we?

41. Psychotext

No_PUD is TEA’s fanboy alter ego! It’s all so obvious now!

42. theevilaires

With a large install base of the xbox 360 and the added hype behind the halo franchise name the game should have sold a lot more. Also M$ did a better job marketing Halo wars than Sony did with Killzone2. Even this site had a background covered in Halo wars for a good month. I never saw KZ2 ads on this site.

43. Blerk

Next-gen Medievil and Sly Cooper would be good. You can pretty much keep the rest of that list, though.

44. No_PUDding

45. G1GAHURTZ

Are you two twins?

46. theevilaires

Just when i thought you had stopped sucking M$ dick you prove me wrong. You’re like a crack fiend, theres no helping you.

47. No_PUDding

Oh shit busted!

@Blerk To be honest, Sony haven’t done many of their IP’s from previous generations outside of Siren, R&C and GT5P. Weird.

No PaRappa The Rapper love? And no Ape Escape love? Admittedly Destruction Derby and The Getaway can quietly leave the room.

48. Psychotext

Was easier than I expected. Sorry all. :P

49. Spiral

I loved the original Ape Escape but haven’t played one since. Somehow it just dropped off the radar.

50. No_PUDding

There weren’t half as innovative last generation. They didn’t deserve to be on the radar.

51. Blerk

Didn’t really like Ape Escape and Parappa is fun in very small doses but I don’t really ‘do’ music games. If they redid The Getaway so that it wasn’t shit then that could potentially be interesting.

52. theevilaires

yea i know you and the rest of these xbots on this site talk to each other over xbox live while posting hate comments toward sony and taking bets who gets to be on top if they can make aires rant first. its no secret really, i just like for you to win because i know you’ll be covered in shit tonight :P

53. Spiral

It’s harder to be innovative when the controller your innovation is based around becomes the de-facto standard I suppose.

54. Psychotext

Leave Sony alone!

/pouts

55. No_PUDding

How so? It was still innovative, but only by PS1 standards.

Yeah I actually don’t do music games either really, certainly not this generation.

The Getaway had a good story and again it was technically better than GTA, but it’s useless when it’s so empty like it was. And ofcourse Team Soho isn’t around anymore.

56. theevilaires

why are you trying to attack me all of a sudden.

57. Psychotext

You’re not that sensitive are you? After all, you’re quick enough to throw around the insults so I’d assume you can take it too.

Also, I’m killing time waiting for a delivery.

58. Seraphemz

If Team Ico announces their game.. it will be a victory in my eyes !!

59. No_PUDding

If Team ICO’s project is there, it should be a victory for HD generation.

60. Seraphemz

Any possibility that they would announce both new games?

61. theevilaires

Let me guess its a penis pump or a blow up doll ver of aaron greenburg you are waiting for

62. Shatner

Team ICO should disband. It’d be best. Two landmark titles. Legendary vision. Unparalleled narrative.

And then.. void. Like a barren landscape in SOTC.

63. theevilaires

sory bout that wrong article my fault

64. Seraphemz

Evil…put that post in every other story….lol !!!

So… how many more stories are going to come from this conversation at GDC ?? is that still going on?

65. Psychotext

@TEA: I’ve already got both of those things. I’m waiting for my xbot certification study guide.

66. Prof Power Glove

Let’s hope they show some good stuff – E3 should be a bit better then usual this year, it looks like Nintendo will be pushing some goodly warez too.

So, fingers crossed Sony have recommissioned Eight Days and we’ll see a pre=rendered cutscene of it at E3. :P

67. Seraphemz

I saw that video they release a while ago on Eight days showing off the “cover system”.. Damn that looked good. Made me wonder why they didnt want to make it all the way through..

68. No_PUDding

Anyway, let them show you what they are wroking on and then say that. People who have seen it have been suitably excited. Not me obviously, I wish I had though!

69. Retroid

Hopefully they’ll show some good stuff, feck knows they need to right now.

70. Mike

New IP would be smashing.

71. Seraphemz

“A narrative is a story that is created in a constructive format (written, spoken, poetry, prose, images, song, theater or dance) that describes a sequence of fictional or non-fictional events”

72. dirigiblebill

“Team ICO should disband. It’d be best. One landmark title. Legendary vision. Unparalleled narrative.

Then… void. Like a barren landscape in ICO.”

(Post circa 2005)

Things can only get better :p

73. No_PUDding

Seraphemz, 20 mil is a lot to spend on a game, that is part of a very busy genre this generation. Sony has Uncharted.

By the way, I am not agreeing with that ridiculous thought that they might reuse the animations from Eight Days in Uncharted 2. Asset sharing is not something even internal teams do.

74. No_PUDding

I am with Mike…. New IP please. Starhawk :O

Really really really hope it’s real.

75. Michael O'Connor

“Shatner. Unparalleled narrative? I don’t mind people pretending they’ve played a game, just so long as they do it convincingly.”

I’d argue that you’ve played Ico and SotC and don’t consider them unparalleled narrative within the gaming industry, then *you* are the pretender.

I’m hoping Team Ico do reveal something at the event, but the fact that Ueda himself admitted they’re “struggling” is not a good sign in the slightest.

76. theevilaires

thank Zeus for the edit button also :P but at the xbot general i didn’t start anything with you. i’m not sensitive. I can take more bullet shots than you’ve taken more cum shots.

I just find it funny that you have been waiting for me to return so you can throw numbers in my face. Sorry i haven’t been glued to a computer monitor like you have but i’ve been busy packing to leave.

The sad thing psychotext and i’m being serious (cause i spelled your name right for once) you want to be my friend. I know we got off on a bad foot when we first met but i hope when i come back from cali we can put all this xbot and sony fanboy stuff behind us. I hope when i get my xbox360 you also accept my friend invite. You’re a smart guy and i do respect most of your thoughts you post here. Good luck and I hope we can come to a truce…friend :-)

77. Seraphemz

Pud – now that you bring that up, watching the Uncharted 2 footage, i did notice that Nathan now slides to cover.. kinda like the video of Eight Days was showing.. maybe Naughty Dog liked what they saw. Cant blame them for using it.

I personally would mind getting Eight Days if its a good game that is in the same genre. As long as its good.

78. No_PUDding

I say you can both explain to me why they have an unparalleled narrative.

Ueda said he was struggling to say anything. Not struggling to develop the game. That much is confirmed when Redmond (TIGMagazine) retranslated it from Famitsu.

@Seraphemz I was saying exactly the oppsosite, there’s no sharing of animation going on. And ND animators are clearly in their own little world, where animations can still afford to transition awfully.

79. dirigiblebill

“when I get my xbox360″

You going soft, theevilaires? :p

Welcome to Xbox Land. It’s not that dissimilar to PlayStation Land, actually, only stuff is a little bit cheaper and FOR GODS SAKE DON’T PUT IT NEAR A RADIATOR ARE YOU MAD

80. Mike

I’m also looking forward to the Heavy Rain hands-ons. Love to know how it plays.

81. Psychotext

@TEA: To be fair, I wasn’t waiting at all. But seeing that you were on here I was hardly going to miss an opportunity to ask you about your favourite game. :D

82. Michael O'Connor

“I say you can both explain to me why they have an unparalleled narrative.”

Do you have a few hours? Do you want me to write an essay on the subject? Valid question.

Here’s a link that will go a long way into offering you some insight into why its unparalleled narrative. Since i don’t have the patience to write an essay on the subject, I’ll leave it up to someone who did: http://www.rose-tainted.net/ico/essays/petereliot_annotation.html

“It’s a completely unconventional narrative, I’d agree. It’s a very basic story, I’d agree.”

It’s not basic by any stretch of the mark. The only people who consider story like that “basic” are the kind of gamers who consider games with stories like the convoluted messes of MGS4 and FFVII good storytelling.

83. theevilaires

NeverSoft/AlwaysHard :P

84. XDamage

The Sony E3 press conference this year is going to be SICK! :D

They could easily pack one and a half to two hours with various games that have already been announced, but I hope there will be some surprises too.

85. Seraphemz

Am I in bizzaro world ?? WTF !!! Evil is getting a 360 and im agreeing with MICHAEL ???!!!

86. No_PUDding

Michael they are intentionally understated becuase Ueda focuses on communicating other things. I am not saying the stories are bad, they just are not even slightly complex. Hence basic.

Even the themes at play are very basic.

It’s not becuase it’s trying to appeal to idiots either, it’s just becuase it’s trying to create depth in places individual to games. And narrative is needed as a basic driver, that is all it is intended for both ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

If you want to explain it to me, rather than refer me to an essay. Yes I’d be happy to read. But it’s futile, becuase we clearly have differing views on the games. I just don’t see how you could justify ‘unparalled narrative’. It’s unconventional and different. Not unparalleled.

87. theevilaires

is that a joke? I have never said KZ2 was my fav game.

88. theevilaires

Seraphemz said:

Am I in bizzaro world ?? WTF !!! Evil is getting a 360

Of course im getting a 360 right after…

1.they take out the RROD
    2.They get rid of that ridiculous power brick
    3.PS3 over takes it in sales world wide

89. Psychotext

@TEA: It’s sarcasm, and I’m talking about Halo Wars.

90. Seraphemz

so not anytime soon….

( and as a SONY fan its hard to admit that…)

91. theevilaires

@ psycho: oh ok :P

@ Seraphemz: never ever give up on the power of CELL :P

92. Psychotext

Conditions 1 and 2 mean it’ll never happen anyway.

1: Short of removing the lights on the front of the 360 RRoD will always be a possibility.

2: The next step will be making a slimline 360… which will require an external PSU initially anyway.

93. Seraphemz

Hey… i just said ‘not anytime soon’i didnt say NOT ever.. I have a feeling things will change.

94. No_PUDding

Yeah, really who knows I guess. Sony will have to price-drop eventually.

And they still have their ‘bigger’ franchises on the way.

Even now things could change on who comes first and last. I’d prefer see Nintendo fad wear out, and see MS come first than a non-game machine. But I should stop being so defensive of the industry as I like it. I am sure there can be lots of good in casual introduction.

95. Psychotext

You really don’t like Nintendo much do you Pud? :)

96. No_PUDding

Well, as I said, you gotta see the positive right?

I mean I’d lvoe to see the industry continue to develop the way we all envisioned, but you gotta be realistic and hope the changes affect what you love minimally, or learn to love new things.

97. anasui

nothing triggers a whirlwind of comments at vg247 like some Sony news

98. Seraphemz

Have you seen N4G… crazy !!

99. theevilaires

I feel the same way No_Pud even if it is M$. Nintendo hasn’t done anything special besides that damn wii mote. hey Nintendo sorry i already got all the NES,SNES,and64 classics all on one machine. So your Virtual Console means shit to me. Miis are shit,wii channels are messy and ugly,plus the machine isn’t next gen.

Lets be honest if Sony re-released the ps2 as a new revision with the same capabilities as the wii from the start they would have murdered Nintendo like they did to sega.

100. No_PUDding

Lets just leave Sony out of it for a second, I think we should be less critical of Nintendo.

And another thing, people down on the Wiimote, you guys can be quiet. Just becuase devs haven’t implemented the controls well, doesn’t mean it’s shit.

Next generation, everyone will do a Wii in terms of hardware, becuase development of games on anymore powerful tech will not be viable at all. So it’s not the hadrware issue either.

The thing you should be cross with is Nintendo’s intention to chase the casual, and completely alienate the core in the process.

And now if you choose to be cross with that, instead see the 7 and 8 yuear olds, girls especially, getting into this medium early on. They will grow up and want the same interaction, on a more mature level, so it can only be a positive thing for the future of gaming. Just not the present of gaming as we know it.

101. Seraphemz

Finally !!! i got 100…

edit… DAMN YOU PUD !!!

102. No_PUDding

Hahah, atleast you can tell from the length it wasn’t intentional.

103. Patrick Garratt