Madden retires from broadcasting, will not affect Madden NFL franchise

Thursday, 16th April 2009 21:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

johnmadden

John Madden has announced his retirement from broadcasting televised NFL games, but his departure will not effect the Madden NFL game franchise.

His reasoning is that he is 73 and wants to spend more time with his family.

Fair enough.

While this is not exactly gaming news, Madden has been a staple figure in videogames for years.

EA Sports rep David Tinson told Gamasutra that due to a “long term contract with John Madden” the gaming franchise is safe.

Peter Moore also weighed in on the anouncement stating:

“We’re excited to see [Madden's] legacy live on in the 21st year of Madden NFL football, and well beyond.

“It’s been a privilege for EA Sports to have had the strong relationship we’ve had with John for more than two decades and one that will continue into the future.”

Via GamePolitics, Gamasutra.

1. Seraphemz

” Football is like making a ham sanwich..it needs two pieces of bread and the cheese, ham and BOOM you gotta team…heehee.. tough actin’ tenactin..”

Its about time….

2. anasui

blimey, his eyes imploded

3. TheTwelve

One of the most successful people of all time, right there!

Hall of Fame coach, best broadcaster ever, and 66 million video games sold in his name. Give the guy some props.

4. anasui

I’d take you’re american mate?

5. Seraphemz

” best broadcaster ever ” thats a pretty bold statement.

1345678465

6. TheTwelve

Alright true I can’t claim he’s the best broadcaster of all time, world-wide. But in America, he’s a legend and was still able to do fastball broadcasting even at the age of 73. I’ve been watching and enjoying his work for the past 20 years or more.

7. lelik

god damn Europeans always complaining.

8. Stephany Nunneley

To be honest (know I will catch heat for this) every time I hear his voice it makes me want to punch someone in the neck.

Seriously. It does. :-(

9. TheTwelve

No, he has a very unique voice. Everyone makes fun of it(I know I have) but that’s part of his legend.

10. SreyaNotfilc