Rumour: David Reeves moving to Realtime Worlds

Wednesday, 15th April 2009 11:12 GMT By Patrick Garratt

apba3

VG247 has been told that David Reeves – confirmed as leaving SCEE as president this morning – is to take up a senior position at Scottish developer Realtime Worlds.

Reeves will leave SCEE on April 30, to be replaced by current CMO Andrew House.

No one at Realtime Worlds could be reached for comment. Sony staffers have been told the exec is retiring.

It’s worth noting that Ian Hetherington, RTW’s chairman, was a Psygnosis co-founder.

The Dundee outfit is currently working on MMO APB.

Chalk it up as rumour. But don’t say we didn’t warn you.

1. Blerk

The plot thickens!

2. Psychotext

/stirs plot

3. Shatner

This doesn’t sound outside the realm of impossibility. RTW have some pretty heavyweight execs on their board. Not just Ian Hetherington – Tony Harman is with them too (ex Director of Development and Acquisitions at Nintendo). They’ve got some rock-solid financial figureheads on their board too.

Frankly, if I could, I’d be buying stock in RTW. From what I’ve heard, their project after APB is absolutely mental. Not so much a pure gaming thing but has huge money-making potential.

4. Patrick Garratt

*ears/prick/up*

5. Shatner

:shock:

I’ve said too much!

6. deftangel

I’d concur with Shatner, RTW do seem to have some fairly lofty ambitions which were backed up last year with a big capital injection..think it was £50m? Admittedly before the credit crunch but they’ve obviously got a few things on the go.

Then again, my last stock purchase was in Midway so don’t listen to me :P

7. tenthousandgothsonacid

“Andrew Young” ? You said “Andrew House” earlier. Which is it ?

8. Patrick Garratt

It’s House. I’ve changed it.

9. Abstract Poster

Realtime have been looking for a CEO for a while now

10. Prox

Very interesting if Reeves was going to RTW. Very different job role though; managing the logistics and strategic vision of a massive division of hardware & software manufacturer across many countries isn’t the same as a medium sized developer with a couple of games on their roster.

Maybe it’s a similar situation to Chris Deering – taking semi-retirement with a few non-executive directorships / board seats to keep them occupied??

11. Patrick Garratt

Prox – I think post number 9 may be worth looking at.

12. Abstract Poster

Post 10 is spot on as well. The industry is littered with the corpses of high flyiin’ execs who found the move from Publishing to Developing extremely difficult.

Seems to work a bit better going the other way.