Killzone 2 fastest moving title for Sony, has sold 500,000 units

Thursday, 9th April 2009 19:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

killzone21

Killzone 2 has sold 500,000 units, making it the fastest selling first-party title for PS3.

That’s a record according to SCEA’s VP of marketing, Scott Steinberg.

Saying that Sony is “extremely happy with the results,” the exec revealed that Killzone 2 was the highest-selling SCEA PS3 title for the first 30 days out of launch.

Full thing over on Game Daily.

1. G1GAHURTZ

I ain’t knocking this game or whatever, but that’s pretty underwhelming compared to how I thought it would do…

It’s supposed to have had a million pre-orders in Europe, so why the relatively slow sales in the US??

2. theevilaires

sony did a bad job marketing

3. reask

theevilaires said:
    sony did a bad job marketing

Excuse Excuses. ;)

4. Gekidami

Sony did an even worst job in Europe, wonder what the sales here are like…

5. reask

Gekidami said:
    Sony did an even worst job in Europe, wonder what the sales here are like…

What do you mean, I saw billboards everywhere advertising it.

6. Gekidami

I’ve never seen a single KZ2 ad (TV, billboard, poster…) other then on internet, i think SCEE put all their money in the UK and forgot Central Europe.

7. FeaturePreacher

They should have used the ballet of death commercial or perhaps had vehicles in multiplayer. Maybe allow custom configuration for the controller instead of being stubborn and not. Or perhaps the ps3 is an overpriced, underwhelming console.

8. lelik

Honestly i’m upset that it didn’t sell over a million. I do wish xbox fanboys would stfu up about it though. We all know you’re jealous and you all know your system peaked.

9. reask

@ gek
    Yes I live in Ireland and it was well advertised here.
    Still is in fact.

10. reask

@ lelik
    LMAO :D

11. Cort

Er, isn’t this supposed to be “fastest to 500k” not “has sold 500k”? That’s how it’s being reported elsewhere.

12. Gamoc

It means ‘has sold 500k SO FAR’, Cort.

It was pretty well advertised, I saw a couple of ads on TV. I got it on launch and haven’t traded it in, that’s how damn good it is.

13. Cort

But others should note this is US only…..

14. Cort

@Gamoc,

“It means ‘has sold 500k SO FAR’, Cort.”

What does? If you mean this article, I know it does. My point was that it’s wrong. Here are Steinbergs own words:

“Killzone 2 has been the fastest SCEA PS3 title to break the 500,000 unit mark and it’s also the highest selling SCEA PS3 title for the first 30 days out of launch,” detailed Steinberg. “So far, we are extremely happy with the results.”

That’s the only reference made to 500k by Steinberg. It’s not a “500k so far” statement at all but “fastest to 500k”.

15. Hunam

Isn’t US still heavily 360 where Europe is more an even split?

16. Seraphemz

@ GAMOC
    Yeah… it means FASTEST to 500k. Not total.

From the actually article ( they might need to re-word it here)

” Killzone 2 has become the fastest first-party PS3 title to reach 500K unit sales, SCEA tells us. If Sony can continue to produce big hits like this, PS3′s business should see some uptick”

I see commercials for it everyday, but I watch Spike and G4…where i think the target market is.

17. Cort

@Hunam,

I think there are nearly twice as many 360s in the US as there are PS3s, whereas in Europe they are pretty evenly matched – probably a lead of a few 100k for the MS console. (360 has a bigger lead over the PS3 in the UK than in the rest of Europe though, so possible that the Sony console is ahead on the continent.)

18. Cort

Typical of the internet. Now the gaming sites and boards are full of “FAIL! It’s only managed 500k in six weeks!” comments.

It probably did 500k at the end of it’s second full week. I’m guessing of course.

19. Seraphemz

Cort – people are idiots. Common sense isn’t so common
    Cant they can see that he said ” FASTEST to 500k ” not total…

I mean look at gamoc.. he didnt even get it, everyone is just quick to talk smack about a PS3 exclusive because 360 doenst have any.

20. Seraphemz

Steph – you dont think that you need to re-word your article a little so people dont get the impression its only sold 500k ??

21. Gamoc

You know, my previous comment made sense in my head before I posted it. Now it just looks stupid.

22. Seraphemz

LOL… at least you admit it…

Its really not your fault Gamoc, the way that Steph worded it…

( also.. theres a cool thing called “edit” check it out… its fun..lol)

23. Cort

@Gamoc,

We’ve all been there, dude. :0)

24. Psychotext

We’ll know in a week or so what it did total in the US. NPD results are released soon.

25. Johnny Cullen

I still see it advertised on C4 :S

26. Cort

Seriously, SOMEONE REWRITE THAT TITLE AND FIRST PARAGRAPH.

@Psychotext, I’m going to guess 750-800k so far in the US (6 weeks).

27. Seraphemz

Yeah i been looking at other sites, and they all have it wrong, and exactly what you said Cort, people are writing “fail” …

28. Seraphemz

Cort – if it was the fastest to 500k, sold 300k in the first two days.. its got to be at a million already.

29. Cort

I’m not so certain. It certainly did good numbers in its first couple or three weeks, clearly, but I reckon it would have tailed off quickly in the US. The PS3 demographic is less shooter-oriented in the US than everywhere else, not that it is particularly so in any other region.

30. Psychotext

I can’t remember exactly, but I reckoned it would be at around 800k by the end of March’s sales.

So 300k in Feb (2 days) and 500k in March.

31. The Benny

If it was a million already then SCEA probably would have mentioned that in the interview, being another milestone figure. Back in February I predicted a fairly safe (and broad) 600-800k, which still seems on track.

32. Seraphemz

PT – its didnt sell only 500k in March. We dont know how much yet.

33. Seraphemz

STEPHANY – you dont feel the need to re-word the article?

34. Cort

Oh well, at least the correction is featured heavily in the comments for future readers to see.

35. Psychotext

@Seraphemz – My number is a prediction.

On the topic in general, I do notice that in the PR they specifically say:

What other big SCEA titles might it have beaten?

36. Cort

“What other big SCEA titles might it have beaten?”

All of them! ;o)

37. Psychotext

:P

I was thinking more specific… as I don’t have a clue which group is responsible for which game (SCEA, SCEI, SCEE for instance).

38. The Benny

I had a look the other day and I think it must be Resistance 2 as the previous record-holder. 385,000 in its first month (24 days of sales), 213,000 in the second. I couldn’t find another SCEA game that sold as well either in its first month or in the first and second combined.

There were a lot that dropped out of the top ten quickly though, so it isn’t easy to get full figures for them.

39. Gekidami

Every Sony game is a SCEA game in the US because they publish them all, just like SCEE publish every Sony-owned IP in Europe, in otherwords its the fastest selling first party PS3 game in the US no matter where it was made.

40. Psychotext

That’s interesting. Didn’t know it worked that way.

So obviously it’s beaten the previous biggest Sony games of GT5:P / Resistance 2 / LBP. We’ll have to wait for NPD numbers to see how it did against non Sony published games like MGS4, COD and GTAIV.

41. Cort

Is that really the case Gekidami? Konami published MGS4 for example, surely? And if all PS3 games in the US are published by SCEA, why did he feel the need to say “SCEA” if not to refer to a dichotomy?

EDIT: Ignore me; just properly picked up on “Sony-owned IP”. If it did beat GT5P, that’s great news.

42. Psychotext

Just for the hell of it (yeah, I’m that bored)… here’s the best first month numbers for PS3 games so far:

GTA IV – 1000k (5 days of sales)
    MGS4 – 775k (24 days of sales)
    Madden 09 – 643k (19 days of sales)
    COD WaW – 597k (19 days of sales)
    Assassin’s Creed – ~450k (18 days of sales)
    COD4 – 444k (26 days of sales)
    SFIV – 403k (12 days of sales)
    Star Wars TFU – 325k (19 days of sales)
    Killzone 2 – 323k (2 days of sales)
    Devil May Cry 4 – 233k (26 days of sales)
    Socom Confrontation – 231k (19 days of sales)
    GT5 Prologue – 224k (19 days of sales)
    Little Big Planet – 215k (6 days of sales)
    Motorstorm – 199k (33 days of sales)

Now for those games that made it onto the charts in their second month:

GTA IV – ~1440k (33 days of sales)
    COD WaW – ~1130k (54 days of sales)
    COD4 – ~1000k (61 days of sales)

43. Cort

Wow, I would have thought GT5P did much better early numbers. Guess it was PAL wot done it.

44. Gekidami

@Cort: Scott Steinberg works for SCEA so he’s only going to mention that department, i doubt he knows how it sold in Europe.