[UPDATE] Women make up 46.2% of PC gaming, says Nielsen report

Wednesday, 8th April 2009 18:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

womengamers03

According to a new Nielsen report, the largest demographic in PC gaming is women aged 25 and upwards.

The group accounted for 46.2 percent of all players and 54.6 percent of all gameplay minutes in December 2008.

The most played games on PC are card games from Microsoft, with Solitaire averaging over 17 million players during the month.

Apparently, hardcore games are not a favorite amongst the majority of females, then.

Shame that.

[UPDATE] Looks like Nielsen polled World of Warcraft players for the same report and found that over 428,621 are female. Now we feel bad for making a bit of fun at their expense earlier. Thanks, Shack.

1. ecu

Haha, gotta love the suggestive image there. Not the first time I’ve see that! /ahem

Those figures are a bit misleading though. I mean, you couldn’t launch a game based on those figures. Women who sit there and play Solitaire all day aren’t really gamers, and probably shouldn’t be included in these figures. The rest of them are probably due to The Sims.

2. Stephany Nunneley

Agreed. I wish more women (meaning my female friends) were like me and yelled at the PC screen when missing a head shot.

Instead, most play Facebook games and strip at virtual clubs in Second Life ;-)

3. Michael O'Connor

“Instead, most play Facebook games and strip at virtual clubs in Second Life ”

Most of those are probably men. *laughs*

Although I’d hardly call Solitaire being a gamer, almost half the woman I know are avid gamers. At this stage, they’re pretty much an equal demographic as the men.

4. ecu

See, I know lots of women, and all but one of them wouldn’t even be able to tell you the name of a single videogame.

5. freedoms_stain

Bit of a non statistic really.

Maybe they should show us the statistics excluding games that came with your OS.

6. No_PUDding

Uh-huh, she’s got square eyes.

Did her mother teach her nothing?

7. wickedman

That’s a not true! liars…..girls are not into this shit.

8. Gamoc

Why?

Sims, that’s why.

9. Random_H

Regarging GirlWOW: Am I missing something? Cause that seems to be half a million women out of what? 13 Million subscribers in total? That’s not even 4 per cent…

Also: “over 428,621″. So it’s 428,622 players then? :)

*puzzled*

Alex

10. Blerk

Where’s that woman’s other hand? :-)