Analyst calls Wii “fool’s gold” for game company investors

Wednesday, 8th April 2009 16:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

wii4

Cowen’s Doug Creutz has told Gamasutra that Wii is just “fool’s gold” to investors, and that backing PS3 and Xbox 360 offerings should be taken more seriously.

“I think the Wii installed base represents, to a certain extent, fool’s gold for someone looking to invest in video game development,” he said.

“You’re rolling the dice on succeeding in a market which has proved very resistant to generating meaningful hits away from Nintendo titles and the music genre.”

Creutz also cautioned that just because Wii is currently dominating the market does not make it the best investment, and feels you have more control over your fate when choosing to invest in one of the other two consoles.

“The choice here is really between investing for the Xbox 360 and PS3, since their capabilities are fairly similar, or the Wii,” said Creutz. “I would caution investors and developers that the larger installed base of the Wii is really a bit of a red herring.”

More through the link.

1. TheTwelve

It’s not very smart to do anything very serious with the Wii, outside of the name of Mario.

2. theevilaires

Nintendo dosen’t care about software quality anymore. They are only in the hardware business now from the look of things. I really hope they come out with a proper next gen system that can rival Sony and Microsoft in graphical quality. I would love to see a next gen Zelda title that could rival God of War 3 or F-Zero that could outshine Wipeout HD.

3. frostquake

I own all 3 systems. I am tired of all the “Kiddy” looking crap that Nintendo puts out. If you have kids you really only need to buy one crappy looking Wii game and the kids are happy to play it over and over a Billion times. I agree with “theevilaires”, on a better looking next gen title, but guess what…we are getting another crappy DSi Zelda game about riding on trains that is all cute and makes you want to puke!
    The 3-5 year olds in my extended family love the Wii, the pre-teens and teenagers in my fam only play 360 or PS3 with them sometimes picking up Rail shooters like Resident Evil or House of Dead or Madworld. The adults only play 360 or PS3 with them every once in a while playing that good old Wii standby, bowling.
    I think if you own all 3 systems like we do, the Wii basically stays in the pre-schoolers room while the grown ups play the other systems. Sad because the Wii has a HUGE install base, and they could cater to all age groups, instead of the shovel-ware they put out weekly for 3 year olds!

4. reask

TBH I still do not understand why more developers do not go Wii.

I mean if the games were there I reckon people would get into them.

I have the Wii but never play it but if it had games I wanted to play that were also on PS360 I reckon I would be checking them out.

For example say Forza or something similar that would be good on it.

I played Mario Kart and it was good but just to kiddy for me, and that is not an insult in any way.

I mean the game is probably as good as most racing games out there I just like a more realisitic looking game.

I could also think of lots of FPS games currently on PS360 that would work quite well on wii.

5. lelik

wii is the stank nasty hooker with a sexy red bow on top. AND SHES BE IN UR BANK ACCOUNTS STEELIN ALL YO MONAYS.

6. reask

Well Nintendo hold all the cards at this stage.
    It has an install base equivalent of PS360 combined almost.
    In saying that I am no fan as my Wii gets no play time, in fact one of the controllers had to be thrown out as my little one left the batteries in it and they leaked through lack of use.

But if Ninty want to they could broaden its horizon.

7. Johnny Cullen

“wii is the stank nasty hooker with a sexy red bow on top.”

What, so the PS3 is a top class escort while the 360 is a fat brothel girl who will delivering unsatisfying sex to you because it breaks down? :D

8. theevilaires

exactly J.C. :P

9. Psychotext

Well… the sex would probably be good at the time.

But you’d need to dispose of the body afterwards. :D

10. Panipal2005

@ reask

‘TBH I still do not understand why more developers do not go Wii.’

Because Nintendo might demand exclusive publishing rights and then refuse to publish the game. Thus wasting all the money the developer put into making the game. See: Fatal Frame 4.

11. reask

Fair point pan.
    But should Ninty not be trying to get decent ports of already established games.
    Also paying to get a slice of other franchises yet to be released?
    They don’t have to be exclusives to sell on all 3 as has been proven with current PS360 games.

12. Johnny Cullen