Amazon now sells full 360 games for download

Wednesday, 8th April 2009 15:18 GMT By Patrick Garratt

amazon2

Amazon’s launched a 360 store in the US, offering games for download for cash instead of Microsoft Points.

You buy the games, download them to your 360 and play them. All very convenient.

The service also allows people to purchase subscription cards for Xbox Live and Microsoft Points.

Kotaku’s rumouring the same may be on the way for PS3, Wii and possibly PSP.

All sounds good to us. Thanks, Blerk.

1. Blerk

I hope they launch a similar scheme in the UK. Points are silly.

And, of course, there’s the opportunity for ‘discounting’.

2. Hunam

Basically what I was going to say. And I hope more companies take this idea on too, have some competition and the chance to shop around.

3. Blerk

And they need to start doing DLC as well as XBLA games too. Then it’ll be perfect.

4. Psychotext

Nice. Shame they’re just XBLA games, but I really like the idea of this simply because it finally allows you to gift games to people.

5. Halo Jones

I’ve had a look at this and all I can see is that it’s a web interface for their store.

Put title in basket -> Buy Code -> Recieve Code -> Enter Code on Xbox -> Download game.

Not really simplifing the process, just putting a monetary value on the games without trying to figure out the MS Points value.

6. Blerk

Well… yeah. How else would it work?

The benefit here is that you only spend as much money as you want to spend, you don’t end up having to buy more points than you actually need. And you can gift something to someone. And Amazon might do ‘deals’ whereas Microsoft usually don’t.

7. Halo Jones

The impression (before I took a look at the purchase process) I got was that it was linked to your Xbox gamer tag and the purchase was done that way. e.g. the purchase appears on your game list and you then download it. Cuts out the bit where you have to get the game code, and then enter it on the Xbox.

That to me would have been the more logical way of doing it.

8. Blerk

You can enter the codes on xbox.com instead and that automatically adds it to your download queue for the next time you start the 360 up. It’s much easier than typing those bloody great codes in using the joypad.

You’re right, though – it would’ve been nice to be able to link the two up so that you didn’t even have to do that.

9. Hunam

You can just copy/paste from your e-mail to xbox.com though, so it’s not so bad.

10. BillyBatts

Quite surprised Microsoft agreed to do this as it probably (hopefully) spells the end for their scam of pricing games at 1200 points and selling points in batches of 2000 or whatever it is.

11. Roybott

I think theres a market for this but I dont see it replacing Microsoft Points. Personally I like to be able to play a trial game and then just hit BUY and carry on playing…

Not, stop playing > go to pc > load up website and login > find game > checkout/buy > wait for eamil > copy and paste code from email to Xbox.com > Play

12. davidkenobi

if others websites offer the service in some times this will mean that customers are there. curious to see more

13. Retroid

There’s already discounts as 2100 points cards are retail items so open to discounting. I recently ordered 4 cards from Additions catalogue because I found a £30-off-£60 voucher, by the time postage was added they were just a smidge over £12 per card, plus I got 8% Quidco cashback.

Makes an 800 point game cost £4.57, a 1200 point game cost £6.85.

\o/