Sparks fly over Konami’s Six Days in Fallujah

Tuesday, 7th April 2009 20:14 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fallujah

Unsurprisingly, knickers have been got very much in a twist of Konami’s Iraq War game, Six Days in Fallujah.

The title, announced yesterday, is based on 2004′s Battle for Fallujah, one of the War’s major set pieces.

“These horrific events should be confined to the annals of history, not trivialised and rendered for thrill-seekers to play out.”

Former colonel Tim Collins OBE, a decorated Iraq War veteran, shared the view.

“It’s much too soon to start making video games about a war that’s still going on, and an extremely flippant response to one of the most important events in modern history,” he said.

“It’s particularly insensitive given what happened in Fallujah, and I will certainly oppose the release of this game.”

More on GamePolitics.

1. SERAPHEMZ

Either it never comes out, or just gets renamed and setting is changed as well..

I doubt that it will come out as it was announced.

2. Gamoc

‘“Considering the enormous loss of life in the Iraq War, glorifying it in a video game demonstrates very poor judgement and bad taste,” said the father of a British marine killed in the conflict, speaking to the Daily Mail.’

Hold on – there wasn’t an enormous loss in World War 2? You know, the period in which many games are set in?

Huh.

3. No_PUDding

Gamoc, more recent and very different situations mean that it’s different. I mean the Iraq war is far more ambiguous than WWII.

And I agree somewhat, that it’s distateful if it’s CoD4 clone in a realistic setting.

But it sounds more like an intentional horror game, and if they can pull it off, I would be more disappointed if this weren’t explored.

4. Patrick Garratt

They’re heading for a world of pain with this.

5. Gekidami

Thats the same grenade launcher from RE5 up there in that pic…

6. mbreber

Gamoc I´m with you on that. And even ww2 veterans like Wild Bill Guarnere and others gave their knowledg in creating games and series like Band of Brothers and Brothers in Arms.

Thay also went through hell for couple of years, not days.

7. draknahr

Videogames are made about every other possible subject around I don’t think that there should be any restriction on what a game can cover…

8. ecu

I don’t see a problem with this. They can do it tastefully, and I’m sure there will. There are no outcrys if there are films based on wars, so why can’t videogames cover them too?

9. Cort

As a great man once said, a person is intelligent, but people are stupid.

10. No_PUDding

There would be outcry’s on films.

Even if they were well received.

The only thing is that perception of games is still too ‘GTA’ey that everyone thinks they are full of hookers, brains, blood and crime.

They wouldn’t be too far wrong most of the time, but then there are exceptions, and I’d hope that those people criticising it could go in with an impartial view and experience it.

11. ecu

But there have already been films on the Iraq war, haven’t there? And nobody batted an eyelid.

I don’t know much about this game, but I’m certain it won’t be glamorising the Iraq war.

12. ShiroGamer

unfortunately we grew up playing games/watching movies/interacting with media that glorifies war

13. The_Deleted

Trust the Daily Mail to get hold of this story. It does seem hypocrital considering the US Army have used and sold games to encourage recruitment. I’m sure if the British Forces put thier name to it it it would be seen a s an opportunity to support the troops.
    Fuck the Daily Mail.

14. Blerk

They obviously missed 50 Cent the other week.