Star Fox creator calls Wii a toy, says Miyamoto does as he likes

Saturday, 4th April 2009 18:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

starfoxa

Star Fox creator Dylan Cuthbert has told G4 what he thinks about Wii and Miyamoto, and has said he’s not interesting in making another Star Fox game, especially for Wii – which he called a toy.

Even went so far as to say Miyamoto doesn’t care how core gamers feel about changes to Star Fox and just does as he pleases.

Youch.

First off, Cuthbert said a Wii version of Star Fox wouldn’t work because of the controls.

“The Wii controller would be a bit too hard to use. I don’t know… maybe the new one [MotionPlus]. Maybe that’d be more fun to play with. I don’t know. The Wii is a bit more of a toy, I think.”

Then went on to say that changes from aerial combat to tank combat were not his idea, but Miyamoto’s.

“That’s all Miyamoto. Whenever I speak to Miyamoto about Star Fox, he says it’s not meant to be just a flying, sci-fi shooting game. It’s meant to be anything we want to think up,” said Cuthbert.

“But the core fans don’t want that, but Miyamoto doesn’t really care about that. He wants to make what he wants to make, so he just goes ahead and gets it done.”

More over on G4.

1. Hunam

How would it be hard to control? All it is at it’s core is a on rails shooter where the ship stays near the crosshairs. You could do the game with just the pointer if you so wished.

2. Syrok

And the Wii comes with a little joystick-thingy, doesn’t it?

3. SlayerGT

wow

4. Bulk Slash

If anything the Wii is really well suited to Starfox. Either it could be done like the remake of level 1 of Starfox in Wario Ware Smooth Moves or it could use the pointer for aiming and the nunchuck for movement. Either would work very well I think.

Cuthbert is probably pissed because Starfox Command was a wretched pile of shit that used a bunch of touch screen gimmicks on the DS that made it horrid to play.

5. Hunam

Why would you need the nunchuck for movement? The ship was always lined up with the targeter.

All you need is the pointer on the screen, B to shoot lasers, A for bombs, waggle right then left quickly for left barrel roll, waggle left then right quickly for right barrel roll and down up for loop the loop.

6. Prof Power Glove

It would have to have stick or d-pad as the main control, perhaps with some “gestures” to activate other, less important stuffs. You could shoot with a wii motion controlled target, I guess.

I dunno. A Wii Starfox might work, somehow. Where does this Starfox “creator” work now anyway? What’s he done that’s close to Miyamoto genius since then?

7. Hunam

Why have the control on the dpad when you have the pointer, it makes no sense, would you have HOTD controlled on a dpad, SF isn’t a far cry from the light gun genre.

8. SplatteredHouse

What are you talking about? It’s nowhere near a lightgun game. What you suggest would be HORRIBLE to play – an abomination!
    How do you translate piloting a spacecraft/plane, at high-speed through and around obstacles and chasing other enemy craft, with a Wii-pointer functionality? You need the control to accurately relay that, hey, you’re soaring through the sky, in a an aircraft that you feel fully in control of. The pointer is far too inaccurate, as it is, to give you the fluid accurate controls, that a Star Fox game demands.

For instance, if I’m taking on the game’s final enemy Andross, and there’s some mistake made – I want to know without doubt, that I was in error at that time. Not the inaccurate controls had screwed me over, causing me to hit that hazard, and instead helplessly collide into a metal part of the scenery. There’s a lot to SF, that makes the pointer option, a non-option.
    Well, there is, at least, unless Shigsy, again, sticks his nose in…Then, as a result, we should all look forward to Star Mutt and Friends’ Intergalactic Blast Party, coming to a less discerning console audience, this Holiday season. Goodness sake. :( Leave it alone, Nintendo wizard.

9. Gekidami

I wouldnt be against a new StarFox Adventures…

10. SplatteredHouse

Made as a Starfox game, from the get-go? I’m not sure whether that would create a good or bad thing. He’d prioritise Zelda, anyway, over Star Fox, so that particular gamble need never be ventured.