Unfrench games banned in Quebec

Friday, 3rd April 2009 07:40 GMT By Patrick Garratt

frenchflaga

A law’s been passed in Quebec banning games with no French subtitles or VO.

According to the Toronto Star, it’s now illegal to sell an English-only game in the region.

Haig James Toutikian, a Montreal game designer, said delays thanks to the law are now probable.

“I know how much of a pain they can be,” he said. “They take up a lot of bug-tracking time… I don’t think [the new law] will encourage people to buy the French version.”

Surprised? Don’t be. Mr Quebec takes French really fucking seriously.

Thanks, GamePolitics.

1. Mad-elph

They are morons here… I live in Quebec, and seriously the parts of the province that buy the majority of games are the big cities (really no!?!) and the cities, Montreal especially is as much English as French. Anyway it means that I will have to buy games elsewhere if its not sold here and that will have the knock-on effect of hurting local businesses.

PS. that flag is for FRANCE, not Quebec… and people here would be very insulted to see that!

The already force retailers/publishers to print an entire second cover/ book, that they put on the outside then celo wrap it closed showing a french cover. They are insane, just don’t get me talking about the language police who go to the stores making sure the french labels are facing out. Such as in a grocery store that has a can of soup and the customer picks it up then puts it down english out, language police fine tem for every can improperly placed.

2. DrDamn

Got to say this is sure just going to stop them publishing there isn’t it? How big a market is it and are they really going to delay the release to meet this?

3. Patrick Garratt

I went to a casino in Toronto once. None of the staff would speak English to me at all, even though they clearly understood what I was saying. I lost all my money.

4. Mad-elph

Oh needed to note that EA and Udi have big offices here and they have a local company that does a ton of testing so there is a big industry here, but still no love from the gov’t. They did give money to the companies only a few months ago, but I wonder if when the got the cheques they were told the gov’t would roll over on them in a few months

5. Mad-elph

hmmm… maybe you were saying, “yo let me win” and they just nodded at you. Are you sure you mean Toronto? Maybe Montreal? Cause Toronto is 90% english and isn’t in Quebec

6. Mad-elph

Quebec pop 7.75 million… of that gamers? who knows?

7. Patrick Garratt

Montreal, yeah. It’s a bit blurry. Is Montreal where the grand prix is? It was there. They were doing roadworks at the time and was had to drive on the track itself to get to the casino.

8. Blerk

Speak English, boy!

9. Patrick Garratt

It wasn’t far off :S

10. Retroid

Merde.

C’est la vie!

/Lynched

11. davidkenobi

Je crois qu’un petit commentaire en français s’impose. lol. It is just anything but a clever decision.

12. El_MUERkO

i’m not normally one to condone ethnic cleansing but… well… yeah, the people who thought up that law should be all shot and pushed into a pit of lime

13. Cort

Loved Canada. Hated Quebec. Got my shoes spat on because I fluffed my French in a cafe and used an English word to describe something. Quebec is one of the few places in the first world where racism and cultural prejudice is still fully acceptable to many of its people and its government. How different from our experiences of British Colombia, Ontario and Alberta where we were made to feel most welcome wherever we went. Always found it ridiculous how Quebec gets away with treating English-speakers like absolute shit, but then demands the rest of the country fully respect French speakers in every single way.

Would move to Vancouver City or Vancouver Island in a flash (the latter is idyllic). Wouldn’t drive through Quebec (again).

14. Cort

Mad-elph,

The French Tricolour is legitimately recognised as the flag of the French language as the Union Flag is for English. It does not always denote nationality or statehood.

15. Mad-elph

Cort, maybe in Europe but that would not fly here. Honestly they be nutz.

It’s their joix de vie making english speakers feel at odds.

As for it being the only place with prejudice in the 1st world, I wonder if you’ve ever travelled through Europe with a gay or black person? Or visited the souther states… don’t limit your hatred, those intolerant mofos are everywhere. F1 race used to be in Montreal, until this year, poor me I miss my F1 fix. race on today, so late for me it starts at 5am, stupid Bernie making it later for stupid Europeans.

16. Mad-elph

Oh and while they demand to speak french, you would not be able to get a Quebec understood by a Parisian, the language is s different, it is similar to the London vs. Ireland divide linguistically

17. Gamoc

Dear god. That’s a horrible decision, just horrible.