Ubisoft: Beyond Good and Evil 2 to be bigger, better than original

Friday, 3rd April 2009 07:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

beyondgoodandevila

Ubisoft’s Michel Ancel has told All Gamers that Beyond Good and Evil 2 will be bigger, more immersive and include more investigations.

Loads of returning characters are expected, and it’ll retain the spirit of the first game, the developer said.

Ancel also mentioned that due to the constraints of PS2′s Emotion Engine last time out, the firm did not make the game the way it was envisioned. That’s all changed for the sequel, he said.

The game’s currently in pre-production, so it’s going to be a while before a concrete release date is announced along with platforms.

Thanks, Gamezine.

1. Mike

Can’t wait. More media please, Ubi.

2. DrDamn

I want a news story where they announce a sequel which will be smaller and worse than the original.

Interested to see how this turns out. I had the original but it didn’t grabbed me at the start so I moved on to other stuff.

3. ww3pl

I just bought the BG&E (better later than never) and… i’m quite dissappointed. I expected so much from this game, like great like-i-am-a-kid-again-climate (i’ve got that in the first 10 minutes of Fable 2, that was great!), but the only thing that i have received is… /just/ a good game. I hope that in later levels it gonna’ be more awesome.
    But, for now, just ~75/100, without love to the BG&E :(

4. Shatner

This, like Bioshock, is horribly overrated stuff. It simply became adopted by the culture as ‘one that should have sold better’ not because it was an especially well made game but one that didn’t sell as well as they would have liked it to – thus suggesting some sort of injustice. Ubisoft are canny to exploit this, naturally.

Given the shockingly bad ending of the first game and the general degree of cop-out it will be interesting to see just HOW they continue the narrative.

Loving the Sony dig by Ancel. Given that games like God of War, GTA, Okami and countless other, better games, somehow coped with such terrible limitations his efforts to hit the sweet spot of the current Internet mood are depressingly transparent. Maybe he should speak to Ubisoft’s Prince of Persia team to see how they managed within such draconian hardware restraints! I’d like to hear Ancel’s excuses for the Gamecube and Xbox versions too! And whilst we’re at it, let’s talk about massive black borders shall we?

Still, the spiral menus were very nice.

5. tenthousandgothsonacid

“This, like Bioshock, is horribly overrated stuff.”

\o/ I thought it was just me that thought that Bioshock was shit \o/

6. Patrick Garratt

I liked what I played of BG&E. There was a lot of concept stuff in there that was pretty ground-breaking, really. The “non-action” style, the photography, the use of vehicles, the social commentary – it was very brave, in retrospect.

Which is probably why it sold about 12 copies.

7. Shatner

Did you get to the bit with the spiral menus Pat?

Best bit of the game. All dowhnhill after that. :(

8. Blerk

Nonsense – BG&E was a lovely game. It had its niggles and gripes, but what doesn’t? On the whole it was refreshing, innovative and excellent fun to play. Even if it did have a rubbish final boss.

I hope they do a decent ‘previously on BG&E’ at the start of the new one. It’s been fucking ages.

9. Mike

I remember playing it for the first time. I had no idea what it was, I bought it because it was cheap. It’s a brilliant, timeless game, imo. I had a little replay recently and it stand the test of time, too. Gameplay is just as fun now as it was then.

10. Patrick Garratt

I got to a bit where I was driving round in a hovercraft outside a castle. Then the preview code decided it didn’t want to work any more. And that was that.

11. Mike

I’ve got it on PS2 if you wanna borrow it, Pat. I’ll send it to you. It’s “almost” better than Gears of War. :)

12. Retroid

@Shatner: Uhhh, yeah, I’m *sure* Ancel was having a dig at ‘Sonylol’ to gain internet messageboard points, and not actually saying what a lot of devs say about previous generations of hardware restricting them somewhat from what they wanted to do.

/Rolls eyes

BG&E was a ‘very nice’ game and I really enjoyed it; sort of a french sci-fi Zelda – another probably reason it didn’t sell! :D

I was never sure if it flopped as badly as XIII seemed to – I was tripping over 99p copies of that for a few years afterwards in branches of Game.

13. Shatner

Let’s save Pat some time and boredom.

It’s interesting to note than outspoken Bioshock fans also ‘love’ BG&E. Both games use idiosyncrasies and pwetty gwafix to cover up for their severely stunted gameplay and uneven structure.

It’s like putting caviar on stale bread. Doesn’t matter how posh the topping is, the bread underneath is still stale.

Retroid, if you speak to ANY developer from ANY era and ask them if they’d want fewer restrictions from the hardware the answer will always be “Yes”. That’s just how it goes with software development. It’s like saying “If I had more British Pounds I could have done more in my life”. Well, yeah, a lot of folk would like more money in their life and would claim that lack of funds meant they couldn’t realise their dreams. Doesn’t mean it’s anything specific to one particular currency though does it?

How are these metaphors holding up for you guys?

14. Retroid

Well of course, but I just read his mention of the EE as a reference to the PS2 as the main format of the previous generation, nothing more.

You’ll also note that I didn’t say BG&E was one of the best games EVAR, I just enjoyed it and wished it’d sold better :)

15. Shatner

Well, it’s a bit odd that he should only remark on one platform of a multiplatform release isn’t it? Perhaps Michel and co decided to go after the $$$ and focus on the dominant platform at the time and were happy to compromise their creative vision in order to secure extra dosh. Given the results of his labours I can’t say I sympathise with his decision or selective reasoning.

And I liked the game too. I liked Bioshock. But both are just ok games with above average production values that have been glorified to a ridiculous degree.

Now, Okami, there’s a game that should have sold a lot more than it did. It was a corker too. And has one of the most pleasing endings to any game I’ve played in the last 10 years.

Although it’s a bit on the easy side and it completely lacks spiral menus.

Pat, Mike – can you get Ancel on the blower and ask if the sequel will have spiral menus? In HD? Ta.

16. Patrick Garratt

I’d love an Ancel interview. Got to be E3, innit. I’ll ask Ubi.

17. Shatner

Spiral menus, Pat.

That’s the only question you need to ask him.

18. Patrick Garratt

*notes*

19. Blerk

I can’t for the life of me figure out why everyone on the planet didn’t copy those spiral menus.

20. Tonka

They were a stroke of genius.
    w00t. First time I spelled genius right.
    \o/

Now, who said spell checkers were bad for you?

21. Len

Wonderful game, thoroughly enjoyed it first time round.

Was really relaxing in an odd sort of way.

Hope they can continue the atmosphere with this. Looking fwd to gettign the camera out again… ;)

Fingers crossed…