Peter Molyneux says “Fable,” “MMO” and “world of Albion” in close proximity

Thursday, 2nd April 2009 15:01 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fable2

Uh oh. Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux’s dropped a reasonably unsubtle hint that Fable may have an online future. Like, online online.

“Whatever happens in the future of Fable, I don’t want you to think you know exactly what features are going to be in there,” he said to Eurogamer, speaking at GDC.

“Don’t think about this as an RPG franchise – think about it as the world of Albion.

“There’s a niche for Fable as there’s humour in there and there’s a Britishness and I think we’ll keep that side of it. But whether it’s more action or RPG or MMO or some new genre – that’s what we have to do.”

Is this the first-party 360 MMO you’re looking for? If it is, will everyone have their own dog?

1. Blerk

Can I put in a request for a command to get your dog to hump another player’s leg?

2. Gekidami

If Microsoft own it they WILL milk it, by the looks of things.

3. No_PUDding

Gekidami I don’t think you’d find many company’s that wouldn’t take advantage of a title that sells like Fable does.

4. Madeira

howisthatdifferentthananyotherpublisherlol

5. David

Fable + MMO = yes please

6. G1GAHURTZ

Looks like MS is about to focus on the MMO market…

Don’t know why they bothered canning that Halo MMO. Seems a bit silly now.

7. David

Fable is the perfect fit for an MMO

8. No_PUDding

MMO’s like whatever genre Devil may Cry/God of War Ninja Gaiden is, is another one I don’t get or tend to just inadvertantly ignore.

I just hate MMO’s becuase they seem so technically stunted for benefits that aren’t really benefits to me. I wanna experience a proper SP game, not an MMO.

9. Patrick Garratt

It does make a lot of sense. First-party, “one-button” combat, all the assets already made, etc, etc, etc.

10. No_PUDding

Wait…. You’re saying MMO-INTO-Fable 2? Like game changing DLC?

11. Hero of Canton

Yeah, thinking about it, it seems so obvious. Albion’s a great universe, if they can just expand it and replace the NPCs with a bunch of real people…

The thought of that scares me though, because I love Albion and I know if I started a Fable MMO I’d be completely and utterly hooked.

12. Shatner

It’s not as simple as just taking the same stuff and running it through an MMO engine though.

Given the initial reception to Fable’s implementation of online co-op it’s clear that somewhere down the line compromises in online functionality were deemed necessary by the developers. That’s something worth remembering with regards to Fable 2. The reasons for that *could* have been down to asset management and resource issues. It’s one thing to have 5 characters on screen with unique texture sets and a few dozen custom animations cacheing through ram..

..but when you take that into an MMO where it is expected to see dozens of unique characters and animations seamlessley blend in and out of view – that’s unlikely to ‘just work’ within the memory management that a single-player game had.

Whilst I don’t really care for the MMO genre myself I do understand the significant technological and design differences inherent within the genre. You can’t really take a single player game and just plug it in to an MMO engine.

I’d be interested to see what happens in respect of the 360 and MMOs if only down to the matter of hard-disk usage.

13. DrDamn

@Gekidami
    Look at MS’s best seller the Halo franchise. 3 main titles in 8 years + one spin off. That’s hardly milking it is it?

14. Whizzo

Do it similar to Guild Wars and it might work out pretty well.

15. No_PUDding

@Shatner, exactly what I thought and meant. And the reason I don’t like MMOs.

@DrDamn, yeah, but it’s clear that is not where it ends, and spin off titles on the same platform all count towards milking.

16. Michael O'Connor

“Wait…. You’re saying MMO-INTO-Fable 2? Like game changing DLC?”

Well, he has gone on record saying that the next piece of DLC would be more than just an extra bit of land to explain, something that would significantly expand the game.

I’m not expecting it to quite be as seismic as an entire shift into MMO (that would require a hell of a lot more than just a bit of patching), but maybe they’re going to listen to what the fans have been screaming for, and allow you to play “in-world” with your friends.

As in, let you use your own character in their gameworld and not being restricted to being on the screen together.

That’s only guesswork, but we can hope, right?

17. Mike

I don’t want to play “in-world,” I just want the world, and therefore the game, to be about 7 times bigger.

18. Michael O'Connor

Then you’re probably going to have to wait for the inevitable sequel, you impatient bastard. =P

19. No_PUDding

On more than one disk, with more loading.

Actually most of the reasons I don’t like MMO’s are in Fable 2 already. Invisible walls, non-engaging combat and loading seperate areas.

It really does lend itself somewhat.

20. Michael O'Connor

“Actually most of the reasons I don’t like MMO’s are in Fable 2 already. Invisible walls, non-engaging combat and loading seperate areas”

When was the last time you played a MMO? 10 years ago?

Most of the ones I know of have no “invisible walls”. In the rare case you can’t go somewhere you think you should be able to, the fact that the game world is so astronomically huge in the first place kinda makes that a moot point.

Non-engaging combat? Most MMORPGs use twitch-gameplay, which requires you to keep track of your abilities and know how and when to use them. Especially in groups. How is that not engaging?

Loading separate areas? Nearly all of them only have loading screens when you go into an instance, and the only reason for that is because they need to be individually created on a server. The main land areas usually have absolutely no loading screens at all, and go on for miles in any direction.

21. crippledhooba

I don’t usually agree with developers making a franchise into an mmo, but I really think this would work great as an mmo with a whole guild of heroes.

22. No_PUDding

Well then, the fact that Fable 2 is worse than most MMO’s is probably why I dislike it – and what I should have said. I just thought I was already taking a risk airing my dislikes about it, so I thought I’d be less harsh.

It’s not very often you will find an RPG with engaging combat anyway. I can’t think of one.

By the way, recently? Guild Wars and Everquest II. Friend is addicted and I have the pleasure of being invited round to see his Paladin. Yes, that does sound like a double entendre – it is not.

23. mightyhokie

Coming from an American, we gamers who get and love British humor are drooling right now. Fable is sort of a mix of Python, Benny Hill, and Dickens. Very different stuff than we have here which makes it even that much more appealing.
    After City of Heroes I swore off time-wasting-relationship-killing-sleep-eating MMOs for life. If we have a World of Albion I will have to eat those words.
    Buh-buh happy marriage!

24. ss4keef

If Fable becomes a mmo make a pc version not just a 360 version. Mmo’s work better on pc’s with keyboard & mouse combo