Nintendo: “We believe used games aren’t in the consumer’s best interest”

Wednesday, 1st April 2009 19:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

usedgamesa

Nintendo’s Reggie Fils-Aime doesn’t feel that used games are “in the best interest of the consumer”.

During an interview with VentureBeat, NoA chief said that consumers are more interested in games they can “hold on to”.

“More and more retailers are experimenting with the used game model. We don’t believe used games are in the best interest of the consumer,” said Reggie.

“We have products that consumers want to hold onto. They want to play all of the levels of a Zelda game and unlock all of the levels. A game like Personal Trainer Cooking has a long life. We believe used games aren’t in the consumer’s best interest.”

He went on to point out that other used markets such as books, CDs and DVDs have never really taken off. He said the used game market will suffer the same fate.

“Describe another form of entertainment that has a vibrant used goods market,” he continued. “Used books have never taken off. You don’t see businesses selling used music CDs or used DVDs. Why? The consumer likes having a brand-new experience and reliving it over and over again.

“If you create the right type of experience, that also happens in video games.”

1. Patrick Garratt

“Used books have never taken off”.

What the hell is he talking about?

2. Madeira

Good grief… I really shouldn’t read anything Nintendo related.

3. David

Please tell me they just use him for internet lols and not to actually make any real business decisions.

Reggie you are a wonder to the internets

4. Gekidami

Has Reggie ever said anything that hasnt been totally retarded? Or maybe this is Nintendos April fools…

5. Whizzo

Used books have never taken off.

I’m pointing and laughing at the man from Nintendo who has never been to Oxford or a multitude of other places in the known universe. Obviously other types of second hand shops don’t exist in Reggie’s world either.

I wonder what colour the sky is there.

6. Hero of Canton

Yeah, he’s in his own little bubble there. At least he’s not slagging the competition off, I suppose.

And yes, Reg, I too like to ‘unlock’ all the ‘levels’ in Zelda. Christ.

7. Patrick Garratt

*shakes head*

8. Cort

Should add a tag called “Did they really say that?”. Or perhaps “What a fucking moron”.

9. Syrok

They may not be in our best interest, but not for the reasons he mentioned.

If they weren’t so expensive here I would consider buying them new, but the way it is I either buy them second hand or import them from the UK.

10. SplatteredHouse

The trick here is, to take any reference to consumer, and replace with the word “Nintendo”. Then, you get a flawless view of the world, as seen from a Kyoto boardroom.

11. Mike

Considering I’m trade in just about everything I’d have to call “wrong” on this one.

12. Tf53

If we look past the inane-ness of the argument and actually justify it with a counter-claim, we’ll come to pricing. I wonder why used CDs aren’t as big as used games when a brand new CD is 10-20 euros and a new game can be anything up to 80 euros.

13. wz

Duh, I’d say he’s right actually. I know about 2 places where I could buy used books, and one of it is a homeless guy who has about 200 books in cardboard boxes he sells for 50 cent each.

And it’s not just me, I don’t know anyone who regularly buys used books/CDs/DVDs.

14. DaMan

hey what about torrents, Reggie? do you think they ‘re in the consumer’s best interest :)?

15. Patrick Garratt

Amazon does pretty well out of used books, I’m sure.

16. Gekidami

Amazon? i’d rather take my chances with wz’s hobo.

17. Suikoden Fan

reggie does make interesting statements

18. Random_H

“It’s not in the best interest of the consumer, because he wants to hold on to our games.”

What kind of reason is that?

Alex

19. Michael O'Connor

If the shelf space in most game stores is anything to go buy, it clearly *is* what interest the consumers. Personally, I rarely if ever trade in my games, but different strokes for different folks and all that.

God knows how these guys make so much bloody money with the kind of crap Reggie’s coming up with lately.

20. deanimate

lolcopters! it’s as if he thinks that all gamers who make the most out of used games will read this and think “shiiiiit! so used games are in fact a rubbish deal to us. well christ. im shocked and appalled. that’s it then. im spending £40 on that game i was going to pick up for £15. used games indeed, what a load of burnt horse.”

good luck reggie :)