XNA games – you won’t make a lot of money

Tuesday, 31st March 2009 12:15 GMT By Patrick Garratt

xnalogo1

Gamerbytes has published a nice table of XNA games sales and profits, showing fairly ably that you’re not going to get rich from the platform any time soon. Put it this way – you’d be lucky to take home $1,000.

The figures show how many times games were trialled, how many times they were bought and how the money’s split up.

Fill your boots. Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Blerk

I really think people have approached this the wrong way. If I’d knocked out a game in my spare time and it make even $100 I’d be stoked. And that’s how I thought XNA was supposed to be pitched – at the amateurs and the curious.

All the whiners appear to be people who thought they could make a living out of it.

2. Retroid

Pffft, I posted this up on the XBLA thread on EG and got no comments.

;_;

3. Shatner

I gave Pat these figures yesterday and yet he still goes to Loltaku.

Shameful!

4. Patrick Garratt

I wasn’t paying attention :(

5. Shatner

Go to your Loltaku tramp then! See if I care!

I dunno, I cook, I clean, I take care of the kids. You stay out with that cheap bit of trash to god knows what hour talking about god knows what. You need to buck up your ideas mister or we’re through.

YOU HEAR ME?

6. seregrail7

There’s also the issue that a lot of the games are really quite bad. Thrown together in a few weeks with poor graphics and/or boring gameplay. No one wants to play a Pong or Breakout clone that has incredibly bad graphics and adds nothing new to the gameplay.

There are plenty of freeware games for the pc as good as and better than many of the titles on Community Games. It’s about time the guys releasing complete rubbish got a wake up call.

7. Mad-elph

seregrail7 – you mean like the quality on PSN?

8. Truk

“seregrail7 – you mean like the quality on PSN?”
    Um.

9. No_PUDding

Do we even known how much Microsoft takes from that? The creators can’t be getting all of that.

10. seregrail7

Microsoft take 30% of the total profit.

In the table on GamerBytes ‘Gross’ = total money made and ‘Earnings’ = what the creator gets before tax.

Keeping in mind the release date of these games, some are doing incredibly good. Solar has made $2,500 in 10 days and ZP2K9 has made $5,700 in a month. That’s not to be sniffed at.

11. Cort

Blerk, yes but regardless of whether a game is made by an amateur or a budding professional, should your hard work, ingenuity and creativity hand MS a huge chunk of the money?

12. Psychotext

I’m struggling to think of any service that doesn’t take a chunk of your money for selling your game. iPhone store does, PSN does, XBLA does, Steam does, Wiiware does, direct2drive does.

I’m sure there must be some (maybe funded by ad revenue)… but none of the major players.

13. Psychotext

On a slightly different note… was just reading that Word Soup has made $44k gross so far. Not too shabby really, though it’s obviously not going to have the devs slurping Cristal off of catwalk models.