Kojima: Metal Gear Solid 5 “maybe” announced at E3

Tuesday, 31st March 2009 09:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

metalgearonlinea4

Guess everyone missed this in the rush last week. Hideo Kojima specifically addressed a question about Metal Gear Solid 5 at his Apple Store visit following his GDC keynote last Thursday, dropping a not-so-subtle hint that the game will be announced at E3 in June.

“I can’t really speak specifically right now,” said the developer, speaking through a translator.

“All I can say right now is that maybe we can do some announcement during E3.”

That’s what he said. Kojima said just in interviews the day before his keynote that he would announce a new game at E3 this year. Looks like it’s not going to be the biggest shock in the world when it hits.

Many thanks, Dan.

1. Blerk

Hmm. He didn’t actually say that that announcement was MGS5, though. And the meaning could quite easily have been tweaked somewhat by the translation.

I’m sceptical that we’ll see another so soon. But… y’know. These things happen. What else has Konami done in the last couple of years that’s been as successful as MGS4 was?

2. David

Metal Gear Solid 5 the hunt for longer cut-scenes

3. Shatner

MGS5: SPECULATION OF THE INTERNET

How about this: it’s not a new MGS, it’s a substance/subsistance type thing of an existing MGS.

OR A 360 PORT!!!

POLICENAUTS 2!!!!!

10. BillyBatts

MGS DS: Touch My Solid Snake

11. David

My Metal Gear is Solid

12. Robo_1

The real question is which platform will it be announced for? I think the franchise has done all it’s going to do for the PS3, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it go multi platform.

13. Patrick Garratt

MGS5 for 360 would be fucking hilarious. That would be a great news moment.

14. David

MGS the hunt for a bigger storage device

15. Shatner

“The real question is which platform will it be announced for?”

Yes. This is the most important thing about games today.

……………………………………..______ __
    …………………………..`:,,………….. ………….`…………..__
    ……………………………….`=-,……………….,%`>–==“
    …………………………………._…….. …_,-%…….`

16. Patrick Garratt

:D

17. Robo_1

“Yes. This is the most important thing about games today.”

I dare say it’s of some interest :)

18. Shatner

Only to people who spend more time arguing over games than they do playing them.

19. Psychotext

…and possibly those with only one platform to play games on.

20. Robo_1

We are on a videogaming news site, so bear in mind the comment was made in that context, and I think I’m right in saying that Pat might take a few minutes out of his day to post about the eventual platform MGS5 would appear on!

21. Patrick Garratt

Rightly or wrongly, platform’s one of the key details in any reveal. There’s a war going on, you know.

22. Shatner

“…and possibly those with only one platform to play games on.”

Those people are more likely to be playing games or doing other non-game things than pouncing on videogames news moments after it’s been published.

Actions speak louder than words.

23. G1GAHURTZ

I don’t think that it matters that much anymore…

Out of the top 10 games on both PS3 and 360 on Metacritic, only 6 are exclusive to either platform.

[EDIT] On top of that, I’d only call one of them a system seller.

24. Robo_1

Hmmm, you know maybe it has been a good splash of cold water this.

I mean I maintain that news like this is interesting, and the announced platforms does make for exciting news if you’re interested in the industry itself (which I am), but rushing in with a comment like, “The real question is which platform will it be announced for?” does maybe show I’ve been a bit too sucked in to the whole console war thing.

Actually the most important question is anything which will suggest the quality or direction of the game (who is producer, designer, any news on the story, is it still going to be about stealth etc.) and when is it likely going to be released etc. News about the game itself, and not which corporation has shelled out the most for exclusivity!

Yeah, it’s good to take a step back actually.. another soul saved Shatner :)

25. Shatner

I am the way. I am the light.

26. Mike

360. Guaranteed. It’ll be multiplat.

27. ecu

It’ll be multiplatform. Never in a million years be 360 exclusive.

28. Mike

Yeah. That’s what I think too. Considering the revenue Konami would generate from going multiplat it’d be silly not to, imo. Unless Sony want to give them large wads obv.

29. ecu

Sony wouldn’t pay for it, it’s not worth it. Kojima likes to work on a single platform since you can get a more refined and polished experience from being on one platform as opposed to optimising for two. But he seems more loyal that most, and PlayStation has been good to him, so he wouldn’t abandon PS3, but they also wouldn’t want to miss out on the revenue that 360 would bring. Multiplatform it is, then. I’m not sure how involved he’ll be with the next MGS, but I’m sure he’ll be there.

30. crackdude

YEAH 360 OMG OMG OMG

He didn’t even announced anything! I don’t get it xD