Molyneux: Death in Fable 1 was “so tedious”

Monday, 30th March 2009 16:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fable23

Peter Molyneux told MTV at GDC that Fable 1′s death mechanic was rubbish.

“We started with saying that ‘The way death worked in “Fable I” was just so tedious,’” said the Lionhead boss, talking of the process of constructing Fable II’s dying set-up.

“There are certain games that, as a game player — not as a designer but purely as a game player — I found very, very frustrating, which ended up as barriers for me going any further in the game. ‘Grand Theft Auto‘ was one of those games. I just found it super-frustrating to have to restart the game.”

Read 50 million more words on the subject through the link.

1. Blerk

Death in general is a complete pain in the arse. I vote we abolish it. Except for people who get on my nerves.

2. Johnny Cullen

Isnt death in Fable II tedious as well? ;D

3. Roybott

You just get knocked on the floor and then jump straight back up losing only a bit of XP (that was not collected yet) and getting a scar (I think), I wouldnt say that’s tedious compared with having to go back to the start of the quest/area/etc

4. Pyrix

Thing is, with Fable 2, the death penalty is virtually non-existent, since you can get rid of scars pretty easily, and by the end of the game, you will be inundated with experience.

5. BraveArse

I remember thinking the death mechanic in Fable 2 was brilliant while I played it but felt no compunction to play it again once I’d finished it ( or if I’m honest, to finish it at all).

Then I got Demon’s Souls last month, which has the hardest of hardcore attitudes to game death I’ve ever seen. I’m on my second playthrough 120 hrs total spent on it. Sometimes things are worth the pain.

6. DrDamn

Got to agree with BraveArse. Here’s the thing Peter – if playing back to where you died is tedious then surely that implies your game is tedious to play? You are trying to fix the wrong thing.

Death in games can provide tension and a great sense of accomplishment to a game. Fable 2 degenerated into a game of push forward and spam spell. Press A to complete game.

7. Psychotext

I never died (knocked down / whatever) in Fable 2 anyway. Game was too easy.