Killzone 2 “glitchers” could face PSN ID ban

Saturday, 28th March 2009 14:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

killzone2a4

Killzone 2 has some bugs. Exploit them in multiplayer from now on and not only could you get kicked from games, you could actually lose your PSN ID. Seriously.

“Glitchers risk losing their PSN ID altogether,” Guerrilla said on the game’s official Twitter.

“We’ve been quite lenient so far, but that’s going to change.”

Don’t mess. Thanks, Destructoid.

1. Syrok

Harsh but fair.

Maybe.

2. SilentLoner

What glitches?

3. Plainview

there’s always glitches & dickheads to exploit them

4. Michael O'Connor

“Harsh but fair.”

What would be fair is fixing the glitches so they couldn’t be exploited in the first place.

5. Reythor

Precisely.

Punishing people for exploiting Guerilla’s own failings seems more than a little unfair to me. It’s not the player’s fault, they haven’t modified the code in any way right? It’s simply the case that they’ve been sold bug ridden software.

Understand that I’m not in favour of people spoiling the fun for everyone else – I recall fairly recently being killed by someone in World at War who was lurking in a crop of geometry underneath the map, that wasn’t fun. But if people rush their product to market they shouldn’t be allowed to go crying to Sony when consumers who pay for their shoddy work find ways to exploit it.

6. Shatner

Cheaters spoil the game for everyone else. Play by the rules and everyone’s ok.

Oh, I forgot, gamers are never accountable for their own actions. It’s always someone else’s fault!

Next week: Pirates tell us how they are victims.

7. Mike

Substitute the word “gamers” with “your average person” and you’re on the money, Shats.

8. Shatner

I was working within the context of the article.

Keepin’ it real.

9. Cort

I’ve no pity whatsoever for cheats – glitches, loopholes, or not. And there are too many games in which people who quit just before they are going to lose get little or no penalty – another thing that really winds me up.

10. Reythor

Just to make my point again… The companies that produce the games should be the ones who define the boundaries of gameplay, surely it is their responsibility to do so – they are after all selling their product to us on the basis that it actually works!

By means of rigorous testing and competent coding they can ensure that ‘cheating’ is not possible and thus provide a decent experience for all involved. If they cannot then further work to fix it and an APOLOGY to it’s customers is in order.

Bungie’s efforts to deal with cheaters in Halo3 has been a very interesting case study. I’m not sure what the issues are with Killzone 2 – but surely Guerilla aren’t throwing their hands in the air and saying ‘there is nothing we can do!’??

11. Reythor

sorry, I meant Halo 2.

there’s probably been stuff wrong with halo3 as well, but that game’s multiplayer ‘Benny Hill chase’ gameplay bored me so much I havent’ really been following it.

12. SticKboy

Shatnerbackonformlolwut

13. Cort

Just because something is there to be exploited it doesn’t make it fair or right. If I leave my car unlocked it is my fault if my stereo is ripped out, but does that exonerate the thief? Of course not. People must take responsibility for their own actions and stop looking for excuses everywhere.

If you cannot win fairly, either give up or grow up.

14. Reythor

Cort, of course not – but if someone stole your stereo from your car from inside a secure car park then that’s partly security’s fault. If the game LETS people cheat, then certain people WILL cheat.

I find it very frustrating when people do exploit bugs to my disadvantage, but I can’t be angry at these people for that, I get angry that the game lets them. I can also appreciate their ability to lever the failings of a game world against me.

As for the cheats themselves, for some people winning is all that matters, how they achieve that and who they annoy by doing so is of no consequence; so long as they win.

Like politicians, and bankers.

15. G1GAHURTZ

If someone stole his stereo from inside a secure carpark, there’s only one person that the police will be looking for, and it’s the guy whole stole it.

He will be arrested and charged with theft if he gets caught, and depending on the decision of a judge, will be suitably punished for his actions.

Equally, whoever uses glitches and cheats should be completely banned from all online play.

In order to use these glitches and cheats, you have to go well out of your way to either try ridiculous stuff that even the games’ QA didn’t get around to testing, or scour the net for someone who’s willing to share his secret with you.

The only people who cheat are the ones who go well out of their way to find a way to do it.

16. Psychotext

You wouldn’t steal a car…

17. Reythor

No… I’d ‘Standby’ the entire carpark and then ‘sword-fly’ the car right out of there.

Then get banned.

18. Cort

Reythor, your concept is based on the assumption that in any situation there can be blame apportioned to only one of two or more parties, and that an error or oversight by one automatically cancels out or reduces the immoral or criminal actions of another. That is patently absurd and goes against some of the major tenets of modern justice – and I’m talking moral not just legal – on which a civilised society is partially based.

I know these examples are not the most relevant to this story, but the basic principles of justice and individual responsibility for one’s actions are most salient.

19. Reythor

Look Batman, the game is broken. they should fix it.

End of story.