Marvel MMO unshelved, will have comic writers on board

Friday, 27th March 2009 19:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

marvelultimatealliance2a

Remember Gazillion Entertainment and Marvel signing a 10-year contract for Marvel MMOs? They’re going to have Marvel writers and artists working on them, apparently.

Marvel’s Ira Rubenstein said so at the GamesBeat 2009 conference in San Francisco.

Seems like the world cannot get enough of super heroes.

More through the link.

1. Michael O'Connor

I’m finding this whole thing rather confusing.

Didn’t Marvel decide a few years ago that the MMORPG market was “too big” to get into, and decided to drop the Marvel MMO they’d been working on?

Mind you, an MMORPG set in New York (initially), might make for an interesting setting. God knows the Marvel universe has a lot more space for expansion (with a lot more identifiable characters and locales) than the DC Universe.

I’ll be keeping my eye on this one.

2. Grimrita

Well if it is to be a success, content is king. Most MMOs lack any decent exciting content – including Borecraft. This can only be a good thing, if they keep the stories and content fresh – without resorting to ‘go and get me 10 pairs of super briefs’

3. Michael O'Connor

“Most MMOs lack any decent exciting content – including Borecraft.”

Clearly 13 million people think otherwise. I’d called that a success, so your logic is a little out of whack if you’re saying content is king but WoW doesn’t have it.

4. ultramega

@Michael O’Connor:

I have to agree with Grimrita.

5. Grimrita

13 million might play them but I bet that 12 million are bored shitless. Its one of the key reasons why Star Wars Galaxies failed. I still play MMOs just- but I only login to borecraft to sell my wares – I hardly play it because its boring – ie lack of anything new – and I dont mean old content recycled into a different colour, like the expansion is

6. Michael O'Connor

“13 million might play them but I bet that 12 million are bored shitless.”

Bored enough they keep paying every month for the experience, right?

“Its one of the key reasons why Star Wars Galaxies failed.”

Star Wars Galaxies peaked at around 400,000 monthly subscribers (and that was years ago), and only shifted around 2 million copies in its entire run.

That’s JUST A BIT (sarcasm) less than the 13 million ACTIVE subscribers that WoW currently possesses.

“I hardly play it because its boring – ie lack of anything new”

You’re the exception, not the rule.

You and a few buddies being bored with the game is not an adequate barometer of the game’s success, and the fact that that ONE game alone holds about 75% of the MMORPG market’s profit is a slightly more accurate gauge of success than your “boredom”.

7. Grimrita

Did you actually play Galaxies? Just because it shifted big numbers – doesnt mean it was any good – and that goes for WOW. Galaxies had no content that was Star Wars related. There was no story, nothing. Just NPC quests that were pointless.It had a superb community, which kept it going until they made ‘those’ changes. Now its lucky to have 20,000 playing.

Without decent content, MMOs are nothing. That is the bottom line. Sure WOW has alot of the same crap spread through it and those who are hardcore will play it, complete it within days and then probably help their guildies – but unless you ACTUALLY PLAY ONE, you wont know. 90% of those I speak to in game are bored. They login to socialise, help guildies but thats it.

Story driven content is where its at and its about time the stale format of MMOs adapted.

8. Michael O'Connor

“Did you actually play Galaxies? Just because it shifted big numbers – doesnt mean it was any good”

I didn’t say it shifted big numbers, I said it didn’t. I said that compared to he sales of WoW, it was pitiful, so it’s not a valid game to compare.

“Sure WOW has alot of the same crap spread through it and those who are hardcore will play it, complete it within days and then probably help their guildies – but unless you ACTUALLY PLAY ONE, you wont know. 90% of those I speak to in game are bored.”

My level 80 Night Elf Hunter would disagree.

So would the sales of the product.

Like I said, if people were that bored, they’d cancel their subscriptions. If people want to say a message, they should be voting with their wallet, not sitting there paying for a game they’re “bored” of.

As long as Blizzard continues to hold 75% of the entire market, there’s clearly many, many people playing the game that aren’t “bored” of it.

You point is mute when you consider the 13 million ACTIVE subscribers. ACTIVE. Paying. Or are you actually going to tell me that 12 million people are bored? Here’s a fact for you: Half the subscribed player base hasn’t even hit 80.