Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time announced

Thursday, 26th March 2009 19:17 GMT By Mike

ratchet1b

Sony has announced new Ratchet & Clank game, A Crack in Time.

The title, scheduled for a “Fall 2009″ release, sees you travel through time. As you may have guessed.

Concluding the events that began in Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction and Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time will answer some of the franchise fans’ biggest questions. After discovering that lovable robot Clank’s disappearance was engineered by Dr. Nefarious, the Wrench-swinging Ratchet races to save his best friend. Along the way, both will finally uncover the hidden truth behind their origins, and discover their ultimate destinies. As the duo come closer to reuniting, they’ll have to ask themselves the biggest question of all: Do Ratchet and Clank’s destinies lie with each other? Or is it finally time for the universe’s greatest duo to separate for good?

How exciting! Full thing after the break.

London, 26th March: Ever wanted to travel back in time? This Autumn Ratchet and Clank are back on PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) in the UK like you’ve never seen them before – and they’re on a mission to save the future!! Get ready another round of intergalactic chaos with Ratchet and Clank™: A Crack In Time, the latest addition to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s multi-million selling Ratchet and Clank™ franchise.

If you haven’t played Ratchet & Clank before and are new to this successful franchise, prepare to be immersed in hilarious action-packed galactic capers and discover how time travel will entertain you in ways never before experienced.

Powered by Insomniac Games’ fourth-generation PS3 technology, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time will continue to bring the experience of playing your own computer generated animation movie to PS3. Expect all the laughs and witty banter of a Ratchet and Clank title, as you enjoy all-new space gameplay that gives players the opportunity to engage in space battles, explore the surrounding star system, and discover hidden items and collectables… You’ll come head-to-head with a brand-new cast of baddies, and some old favourites, and obliterate them with cool new weapons and abilities.

Get ready for a brand new time-bending, laugh-out-loud adventure when Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time arrives in stores in Autumn 2009. It’s the newest addition to the smash-hit Ratchet and Clank franchise, with eight titles across PlayStation®2, PS3™ and PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) platforms. With Ratchet and Clank, the future is never certain!

1. XDamage

Can’t wait! Tools of Destruction is one of the best platform games I’ve ever played.

2. Hero of Canton

You can’t have played many, then. ;)

3. XDamage

I can’t decide if that is an insult to the Ratchet & Clank series, or intended at me personally. :D

4. Hunam

Yay!

5. Shatner

ToD was more enjoyable than the waggle-laden, imprecise jumping “Lets hope nobody remembers that Ratchet and Clank 2 had planetoids in it first” UR MR GAY.

I played through it twice and the second time was even better than the first. Oh yes.

6. 599USD

Yes! any chance for a 360 release?

7. Syrok

About as much of a chance as there is of Jesus returning.

8. Monk

WOOOHOOO

9. Hero of Canton

Hang on – Shatner, you’re really saying Ratchet and Clank is better than Mario Galaxy?

You’ve said some ludicrous things in your time, but I think that probably takes the biscuit.

10. 599USD

WHAT??? SOMEONE WITH A DIFFERENT OPINION!!! CALL THE INTERNET POLICE!!! BLASPHEMEREY!!!!

11. Cort

Great, the troll is back.

12. Shatner

HoC, I know which I enjoyed more. One game I finished and had no compulsion to go back to get 100% perfect rating. The other I immediately restarted in the New Game + mode.

UR MR GAY was good. But you know what I like above all about the GREAT Mario games? You could do these crazy long jumps and know, with absolute certainty, the very pixel you were going to land on. It’s kind of a fundamental thing in a platformer, particulary a Mario one, that you should have confidence in the control of your character.

Not so with UR MR GAY. The controls were horribly fuzzy and imprecise, not helped by the waggle crap that a button would have managed to do perfectly well (and did in SMW).

It’s a nice game. Nicely presented. I admire how they got around many of the Wii’s technical shortcomings. But it was a pretty average platformer all said and done. When you take away the “OH MY GOD ITS MARIO” aspect and just play the damn thing, it’s just not up to the standard a core Mario game should be. The controls are out of whack.

And don’t get me started on the mess that was the underwater camera.

ToD, on the other hand, delivered absolutely everything that it should have done without relying on fervent, salivating fanboys to shout down any criticism of the game that might be levelled at it.

Oh, and ToD had challenge too.

I’m sorry, but ANY game where you can beat the final boss on your very first go needs to go back and reassess its difficulty curve.

As for the internet police: fuck ‘em.

FUCK DA PO-LICE! YEAAAAAAHH BOYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

13. Psychotext

As much as I hate to agree with Shatner (it pains me, it really does)… I preferred R&C:ToD to SMG too.

14. SERAPHEMZ

Ok Shatner, now i see why you stopped. that would have been really hard to read ifitwasalldonelikethislol.

15. Shatner

Come on PT, let’s you and me have mad, angry, passionate make-up sex. You can go on top.

SERAPHEMZ, last time people were bitching about me it was all “waaah, it’s a wall of text. I’m not going to read that, waaah!” amongst other things. So my condensed statements were used to address this.

Wouldn’t you know it, people bitched about that too!

16. Mike

Fact is SMG wasn’t all that. I stopped playing after about 15 levels. Soulless.

17. Psychotext

No more make-up sex for me… it’s hard to explain the bruises away. :(

18. Shatner

Mike, it’s not a fact unless you put it in capitals.

19. SERAPHEMZ

lol…i mean LOL.

20. Hero of Canton

You’re all mental, clearly. ToD isn’t even a proper platformer. It’s a decent game (Quest For Booty’s miles better, though) but it’s not a great platformer. And the controls in Galaxy are perfect. PERFECT.

Opinions, eh?

@ Mike – soulless? That’s even pottier than Shatner’s statement. No wonder you guys are so anti-Wii if you don’t like the best game on the console.

21. Shatner

Best game on the Wii is guessing whether your Wii-mote batteries still have charge in them since the last time you switched the thing on and whether you need to re-synch your controller to the unit again.

22. Mike

FACT

23. Mike

Best game on the console is Wii Sports.

24. Hero of Canton

Most important game on the console is Wii Sports, undoubtedly. Best? Nah.

25. SERAPHEMZ

Isnt “best wii game” an oxymoron?

26. XDamage

I really enjoy the humour in the Ratchet & Clank games. Sure, the games are fun for kids also, but at the same time they are full of nods and gags that only grown-up people will understand. Just look at the titles for example:
    Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, Size Matters, Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time.

Good shit! Now that’s something that’s completely missing from Mario. :D

27. No_PUDding

SMG and Ratchet and Clank are both pretty shit….

It’s like going on ratemypoo.com.

That one is a 10 whereas that one is a 5, but they’re all shit, and all you’re doing is waiting to stop looking.

28. Shatner

Yeah, but ToD is like one of those great big dumps that comes away clean and leaves you feeling satisfyingly empty inside and it still goes down in one flush.

UR MR GAY, on the other hand, is like one of those poos that you’ve been looking forward to all day and has the promise of being really quite memorable but ends up being far less substantial than you’d hoped and there’s that feeling that, even though you can’t get any more out of it at this time, you’ll be back here in another 15 minutes trying to make up for the earlier disappointing visit.

VG247: TALKING SHIT SO YOU DON’T HAVE TO

29. No_PUDding

Everyone applaud Shatner for taking a metaphor almost inappropriately too far (but finding the exact right balance) and regaining his ability to use a space bar.

Yeah I am kidding, I’d really like to try Mario Galaxy though, and I can’t say the same for any Ratchet and Clank, but I’d give them a whirl too ofcourse. I’m not that ignorant.

30. XDamage

They’ve posted some info on the PS Blog about it.

I wonder how they left out the “Future” from the press release. It makes it sound like a PS2 game. :D

31. Hero of Canton

@XDamage – I hope that post above about the ‘grown-up’ humour is sarcasm.

32. XDamage

Hehehe. Somehow I knew you were going to say that. :D

Dude, don’t take it so personally that some people got done playing Mario ten years ago. If it wasn’t for some of the humour/slapstick/situations/characters in R&C I probably wouldn’t play those games either.

33. wz

Shatner, you and Jack Thompson are the only people to ever make me laugh over IP. \hoorayIguess

34. No_PUDding

Mario used to have that element.

It used to be all abotu the drugs, but then mushrooms became serious somehow.

35. Hero of Canton

Being ‘done playing’ Mario is like refusing to watch Pixar films. It definitely seems to be an age thing, though. Like there’s a point when you think you’re ‘too mature’ to play a Mario game, and then you get older and realise that it’s silly to avoid a game simply because it’s bright and breezy and daft and unrealistic.

36. XDamage

Yeah, maybe. It just doesn’t interest me anymore. But ofcourse that’s no disrespect to the games themselves, they are just not for me.

Personally I like my games to be funny, or violent, or both. ;)

37. 599USD

Sounds to me like you’re just mad because someone else doesn’t enjoy a game as much as you do.

38. Blerk

I’ve never played a Ratchet and Clank game either. I’m such a slacker.

I have, however, played Super Mario Galaxy. And didn’t like it.

39. Gekidami

Theres a debut trailer of this up on threespeech.com now.