GDC: BioWare refuses to rule out Mass Effect 2 for PS3

Thursday, 26th March 2009 14:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

masseffect3

Looks like PS3 users may get their hands on Mass Effect 2 yet.

Speaking with Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk during a demo of Dragon Age: Origins at GDC yesterday, we asked point blank if the was headed to the console or not.

“We have announced Mass Effect 2 for PC and Xbox 360,” said Ray.

“We have no comment beyond that.”

EA refused to comment on a PS3 version of the game back in February, when John Riccitiello saying it would be a multi-platform affair.

When the game was officially announced in a press release earlier this month, again a PS3 version was not mentioned.

Game is expected to arrive sometime in early 2010.

1. f1r3storm

If they do, then Mass Effect 1 must be ported, too. Wouldn’t make much sense otherwise.

2. Patrick Garratt

Very fishy, this. I just expected them to say, “No.”

3. Psychotext

It’s an EA game… it’ll make its way to PS3.

4. Shatner

Maybe they’d rather people speculated and benefit from the mindshare of ME2 than say “no” outright and lose that extra coverage.

On the one hand, you have EA who are usually keen to bring stuff out on as many platforms as they can. On the other hand you’ve got Bioware who, as far as I can recall, have never put anything out on a Sony machine ever with stuff like the Baldurs Gate spinoffs handled by other developers.

5. Patrick Garratt

It does just make me think they’re planning to bring both to PS3 at some point. Logically, I don’t know why they wouldn’t.

Microsoft would have to give them a huge amount of money to make it worth keeping it off PS3 completely.

6. Blerk

It’d surprise me if the PS3 doesn’t get the second game. Equally it would surprise me if it does get the first one. It’d be much easier to just do a ‘previous on Mass Effect’ video at the start of the game. :-)

7. Patrick Garratt

This is true.

8. Patrick Garratt

Or maybe the second game’s plot’s properly standalone.

9. Blerk

That would make more sense. You can still enjoy Empire Strikes Back even if you haven’t seen Star Wars.

10. Mike

If what they say is true, and your previous save will affect ME2 in some way, then I’m sure PS3 owners need to have played ME1 or else they could be missing out on something.

11. Patrick Garratt

Being honest? I’ve never watched Empire Strikes Back all the way through. I have no idea why. I’ve seen Star Wars and Return of the Jedi countless times. I will, therefore, refuse to play Mass Effect 2 out of principal.

12. lelik

is that a joke? really?

13. Blerk

What? Empire is the best Star Wars film! You don’t need the others!

Mike, I’m sure it’ll be perfectly possible to play the sequel without having that save. I imagine it’ll just carry across your custom character and your ‘who gets to die’ decision. Several PS2 RPGs did a similar thing and they all have an option to just start from scratch without a save.

14. Lutz

I’ll also refuse to play ME2 out of principle.
    In that I didn’t like ME1.

15. Patrick Garratt

It’s true. I’ve seen most of it loads of times. I’ve got it on DVD here.

16. Mike

Watch it you foooooool!!!!!!

(and play ME1) Lutz is nuts. Don’t listen to him.

17. Patrick Garratt

I’ll do both. I’ll play the PC version.

18. SERAPHEMZ

I really hope that it makes it to the PS3. Even though the elevators were killer in the first game, the story and gameplay more than made up for it.

Im sure ME2 will be even better than the first and i really hope to play it on the PS3. ( played the first one on brothers 360 )

19. Patrick Garratt

Elevators? Do you go up and down a lot?

20. epic_wanderer

They use lifts to hide loading times.

21. Blerk

And I didn’t think they were that bad, tbh. Although I was playing it from the hard drive rather than from the disc.

22. Blerk

Anyway, why didn’t you use the new piece of art that they released for this story, eh?

23. epic_wanderer

The lifts were better than a loading screen. The characters would chat to each other and there was occasional radio broadcasts if I remember correctly.

24. Patrick Garratt

We used it on the other story before. Twice in the same page is just amateur :)

25. Blerk

Zoinks! I completely missed that story. :-D

Epic’s right, too – you occasionally got access to side-missions through things that happen in the elevator. News broadcasts or things that your companions say to you.

26. Mike

Blerklol

27. dannyboy

This article is extremely misleading and should be corrected or deleted.

Multi-platform regarding this game is PC and Xbox 360. Multi-platform doesn’t necessarily mean multi-console. (PC is a platform, Xbox 360 is a platform).

If someone asked EA if Mass Effect 2 was coming to PSP or Mac or Wii, EA and Bioware would also give you a “no comment” because there isn’t a thing to comment on. Not every “no comment” means something is being hidden, it simply means, there is no comment to make.

The article title “BioWare refuses to rule out Mass Effect 2 for PS3″ misleads people into thinking that it will appear on PS3. This is all based on speculation when EA mentioned “multi-platform” for the release of Mass Effect 2, but ignored the fact they listed “Xbox 360 and PC”. I understand the title is eye catching, but please try to have some fact go along with it.

28. No_PUDding

Calm down dear, it’s only an article.

If this does come to Ps3 I look forward to naming my character ‘Plastic Shepard’, by the looks of the article picture.

29. SERAPHEMZ

dannyboy – Publishers have been known, and have in fact denied a game going to a certain console. Ask Kojima if Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to the 360 and he will say flat out “no” not ‘no comment’.
    When the first Mass Effect came out, they said no way its coming to the PS3, not ‘no comment at this time’

The reason that its an issue here is because EA is known to be a multiplatform publisher. I cant remember the last game that they brought out that was exclusive to one console.

And to me, multipatform means both consoles. Not PC.

30. dannyboy

To you and everyone else, multi-platform means multi-platform. It is a fact that all devices running games is a “platform”. EA had *already* announced the *platforms* this game will be available for. PC and Xbox 360.

Some how, one journalist mentioned PS3 in the same original report from EA about this game and now it’s spawning a set of rumors that really isn’t true and as such, like any company would say, “no comment.”

Journalist, “Can you tell us if you’re going to publish a version of Halo 3 ODST for the Playstation 3?”

Microsoft, “We do not comment on rumors or speculation.”

Journalist two hours later: “Microsoft refuses to rule to Halo 3 ODST for Playstation 3.”

Rinse and repeat.

Since EA also did not rule out the Wii, will Wii also get Mass Effect 2?

31. Cort

“We do not comment on rumors or speculation” is well-known and widely accepted PR code for “Yes”.

There is a HUGE difference between “We do not comment on rumors or speculation” and “No”, as a scanning of similar stories and later outcomes will show you.

32. Psychotext

Really? Whilst I think in this case it probably is, I can think of loads of examples of companies refusing to comment and the rumour not happening.

33. SERAPHEMZ

Can the Wii run Mass Effect to on its hardware? No. So its not even possible that it would come.

But since EA doesnt so exclusives it wouldnt be ruled out.

All im saying is that if it is NOT coming to the PS3, why not just say ‘no ‘ as they have before.

No comment – means they havent ruled it out.

You obviously are all hurt at the idea that it would come to the PS3, so i think that there is a personal interest in the story and your reaction to the title of the piece.

34. SERAPHEMZ

*EA doesnt DO exclusives…

35. Cort

PR people (or people coached by them) know how their words are interpreted and choose them very carefully. I’ll accept it doesn’t *always* mean yes, but often “we’re looking at it” or “watch this space” instead Just because something doesn’t happen it doesn’t mean it was never a possibility.

36. XDamage

“And would MS really reply “no comment” to a question about Halo possibly going multi-platform?”

Hehe. That would have started the biggest internet shit storm known to man in that case. ;)

37. SERAPHEMZ

xdamage – agreed.

38. mach1ne17

Perhaps Sony is planning on announcing this during E3 like Microsoft did with Final Fantasy last year.

39. theevilaires