PS3 Firmware 2.70 “in April,” say dev sources

Wednesday, 25th March 2009 11:50 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3a32

Eurogamer’s just posted a story based on two different dev sources that says PS3 Firmware 2.70 will launch in April, not this week as we were told last night.

Sony’s made no official statement on the matter as yet.

We were told that developers now have the update and it would launch “this week”.

Resistance 2 developer James Stevenson said overnight that his shooter’s latest patch wouldn’t work without the Firmware release. The patch was supposed to hit on March 26, tomorrow.

There’s no clear indication as to what the update contains as yet, but Stevenson said dual PSN log-ins was the feature needed for the Resistance 2 patch.

1. SilentLoner

This is becoming a farce!

2. pleasant_cabbage

I thought it went passed that stage aeons ago ;)

3. DrDamn

In what way?

4. SilentLoner

At least make something official sony!

5. Blerk

Remind me why anyone cares again?

6. Syrok

Because there are no games and people only get to turn on their €600 door stopper when there is a firmware update.

7. SilentLoner

lol that is so 2007 :P

8. Syrok

^.^ Yeah, I need to get my fanboy responses up to date.

9. Retroid

The 360 has allowed a profile / Live login per controller since it was released, it means each player can get their own achievements for whatever they do. I’m guessing it’s the same reasoning which has made them implement this in the latest PS3 firmware, so players can record their own progress & trophies.

10. SilentLoner

wooo would this work for Resident evil 5?

11. Quiiick

@ Retroid
    Not being able to log on more than 1 account at a time to the PSN does NOT mean you can’t have your own/separate achievements for whatever you do on different PSN accounts!

12. Withnail

Support for multiple PSN logins is already in the PS3 firmware, it was added in 2.60. Brian Intihar of Insomniac said as much in a post on the Playstation Blog on 23 January (on phone so can’t link, sorry).

This whole story seems to be based on a misunderstanding of something jstevenson said followed by various blogs confirming it for each other.

13. Retroid

I meant in co-op and such, obviously!

Mrs Retroid has her own PSN account but, as an example, WipeoutHD doesn’t support it so she had to ‘guest’ on my account if she wanted to play along with me, which meant anything she did, like barrel rolls and the like, didn’t count on her account.

Which was shit.

14. Retroid

@Withnail: then it seems it’s up to the individual games to support multiple PSN logins at once.

/Facehand

15. Quiiick

@ Retroid
    Quote: ” I meant in co-op and such, obviously!”

Sure, but it does work with offline co-op, as I said.
    The PSN “only” lacks online-co-op.

16. Mad-elph

Wait, I was surprised last week when I logged in to play some LBP for the first time since Jan, and my girlfriend was with me. We were able to log her into the game under her own account, so we each had our separate accounts attached to our names instead of my name and Player 2 or whatever. When I pressed the PS button is asked if I wanted to name it our choose another PSN user.