PC gaming worth $11 billion a year, says PC gaming body

Monday, 23rd March 2009 23:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

pcgamingalliancea

The PC Gaming Alliance annual report has claimed that the PC is the most valuable gaming format on the market.

“The report provides an overview of the PC gaming market and the growth of the largest single platform for games with annual revenue of about $11 billion,” said the body.

That’s a lot of money. The full thing’s here. Thanks, RPS.

1. Hunam

What is the point of this. They have a snazzy logo and that’s about it. What are they actually doing besides standing on a soapbox telling people PC gaming is good. Are they solving the DRM problems, piracy, giving decent guidelines ala Games For Windows (not live though) for technical considerations?

Seems to me like they are just a gas bag organisation.

2. absolutezero

GFW is far far far from good.

Not letting you play with options to get the optimum set-up for a game is never a good thing. Whats worse is not telling you why its not letting you select those options.

Like I have quite a nice system right now, and for some reason GFW wont let me choose any of the Ultra options. Then it wont tell me whats wrong, or lacking in my set-up to let me run said Ultra-ness.

3. Psychotext

Hmm… I just did a very quick calculation and by my reckoning Blizzard is responsible for about 15% of that $11bn revenue.

4. hitnrun

@psychotext: Probably more than that if you factor in box sales. And then you factor in all the other MMOs.

And then you count the casual-female-targeted game portals that make pennies for most of their devs and publishers.

In short, PC is a money making platform, just not for the overwhelming majority of companies that make or publish games. The PCGA is basically just another organization chartered to tell everyone that black is white.

5. Shatner

whatsitworthafteryoufactorinpiracythoughlol

6. Hunam

az, I assume you are talking about DoW2 and CoH? Becuase on those, the ultra settings are generally DX10 and is not a GFW stipulation, mostly they just want 360 pad support, widescreen etc.

7. endgame

they’ll help more in the future. give’em a chance Hunam, have hope. it’s what they r giving to some of us now, the ones who thought pc gaming was failing. clearly, it’s not.

as for the piracy Shatner, piracy is awesome. 90% or more of the games that i play i buy. but i wouldn’t buy even 30% of these if it wouldn’t be for piracy. it’s what gives me the chance to check them out and see if and how much r they worth.

thks.