GDC: iPhone “better than DS, better than PSP,” says Young

Monday, 23rd March 2009 20:04 GMT By Patrick Garratt

iphonea

Speaking in his GDC Mobile keynote, ngmoco co-founder Neil Young has said that iPhone is the “most important device” he’s owned.

Young called the phone “better than the DS, better than the PSP,” because it’s “always on, always with you,” and, “most importantly from a business standpoint, there were no first-party games.”

He added: “”Don’t let the haters tell you it sucks compared to the DS or the PSP. It doesn’t. It’s good. It’s clear that the quality of iPhone games is eclipsing its [portable] console counterparts, and that’s even more acute when you compare it against the prior generation.”

Three million more words about mobile games on Gama.

1. Syrok

It’s certainly the better phone.

2. Hero of Canton

“The quality of iPhone games is eclipsing its console counterparts”.

Yeah, good one.

It is a good device, and it’s almost certainly better for small developers from a business standpoint, but that statement above is grade-A bullshit.

At present, at least.

3. wz

I hear apples are better than steak, too.

4. revolting

I own all three portable devices mentioned, and to be honest, I’m inclined to agree with him.

When games/apps were first made available on the iPhone, they was some precursory interest, but ultimately they were shrugged off as gimmicky piles of crap, which to be fair, with the likes of Monkey Ball being one of the flagship games, was exactly what they were.

But that was a long time ago. In the year or so that has passed since the App Store launched, the quality of games on offer as seriously improved. My DS and PSP have remained shelved for a year now. If I want portable gaming (which I do, frequently) I turn time and time again to Field Runners or iDracula, both awesome iPhone/iPod Touch apps.

Its a shame most gamers appear had written it off as a platform based on the gimicky pap that was launched initially many months ago, as some of the titles on offer today really do stand out above the average PSP/DS game.

5. Trivi4l

Honestly Resistance Retribution keeps me more occupied than Fieldrunners or iDracula.
    All in all if you want some casual gaming then yeah iTouch all the way but if you want something deep then I would say PSP/DS

6. DaMan

this isn’t ‘casual’ gaming, casual would be Popcap games or Katamari Damacy. this is handheld games.

and PSP is a pocketPS2, I ‘d hardly call it a handheld gaming device.

7. wz

“Core gamers” embracing the DS <3

8. DaMan

DS is way better than PSP, and it’s a true handheld gaming device.

9. Hero of Canton

“some of the titles on offer today really do stand out above the average PSP/DS game.”

Damning with faint praise there. ‘Some’ stand out above ‘average’ PSP and DS games. What about the creme de la creme of DS and PSP games? There’s nothing on the iPhone to touch the system highlights on Sony’s and Nintendo’s handhelds.

10. DaMan

too bad the sales say otherwise.

11. Shatner

popularityandqualityarentthesamethinglol

12. Trivi4l

Umm I disagree PSP is more of a gaming device than DS right now. Theres more stuff that are on the shelves that aren’t even really games by definition that are for the DS mostly.

13. revolting

Which would be all well and good if there had been a single compelling title on either platform in the last year. The last DS title I felt compelled enough to not miss was Final Fantasy Tactics A2, nearly a year ago. The last one on the PSP was the first Liberty City Stories an age ago. There hasn’t been a “creme de la creme highlight” on either for a very long time.

Resistance Retribution may be an exception to this, but not one I am personally interested in, despite loving R1 and R2. Why? Because it’s not portable. Nothing winds me up more about PSP games than their inherent unporatability. If I’m playing a handheld game, it’s generally going to be something I want to be able to be able to play in short bursts, on the train, during my lunch break, on the shitter. I don’t want huge action epics that require an hour or so at a time to enjoy; that’s what my PS3/360/PC are for. When I’m out and about and what something portable, if it’s not something I can enjoy for ten minutes and then switch off, it’s redundant. The attempt to make the PSP the PS2/1 in your pocket it it’s hugest failing in my opinion; it should be a playstation you can take with you and enjoy on the fly, not just a playstation shrunk down for the sheer hell of it. This was my huge gripe with Crisis Core; if for some reason I’m feeling masochistic enough to want to play a Final Fantasy game, I’m going to want to play it on my big hefty TV-bound home entertainment system, not on my portable pocket console.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed both the PSP and the DS immensely in years gone by, but today, here and now, they are severely lacking on the software side, and with the PSP in particular, the games are too ambitious. The perfect PSP game, in my opinion humble opinion, was Puzzle Quest. It was also hugely in the minority of genuinely portable PSP games. The DS is a little better, but still quite guilty of trying to shoehorn big epic titles into small pocket consoles.

14. DaMan

Shatner – but they are not of low quality, they’re just different. they take less time to finish, and they aren’t as deep. but they are not of “low quality”.

sorry, shatnerbuttheyarenotoflowqualitytheyarejustdifferentthey takelesstimetofinishandtheyaren’tasdeepbuttheyarenotof”low quality”lol

15. Cort

12,000 games where you tilt the phone to move a ball round obstacles, avoiding holes….and counting.

12,001……….