February NPD – Edge in breakneck sales analysis mega-slap-down

Friday, 20th March 2009 08:40 GMT By Patrick Garratt

npdgrapha3

Hot shit. Edge has spat straight into Gamasutra’s face with the speed of its NPD analysis this month. Find its just-published take on last-night’s figures here.

Let’s see. The figures were in our inbox at 10.29pm GMT last night, and Edge now has a four-page feature, coloured graphs included, at 8.00am GMT. That probably equates to author Kris Graft crying into his cornflakes.

But still. You won, Edge. You really shoved it up Gama’s ass, right? Poor old Matt Mathews won’t know what the hell happened.

Get reading!

1. G1GAHURTZ

POW!

2. Patrick Garratt

:D

3. Shatner

ohlookunnecessaryandirrelevantsensationalistspinlol

4. The Benny

Ah, but Gamasutra usually give us the top twenty software (without figures) instead of just the top ten. That’s something, right? Matthews does seem to go a bit more in-depth too, with things like his Call of Duty and Guitar Hero analyses. He has the skillz (yes, with a ‘z’!) even if he lacks the speed.

5. Tonka

trueskillzneedtimelol

6. Shatner

OMG Tonka really is an unimaginative copycat isn’t he? :D

7. Tonka

shatnerinieventedbeinganannoyingcuntontheinternetanddontyouthinkotherwiseshockerlol

8. Shatner

lookslikeTonkathejokerhasntmuchofasenseofhumourafteralllol

9. Patrick Garratt

Benny – I always link to both. This analysis “tussle” just amuses me, is all :)

10. Tonka

imrubberyouareglubutthatswhatshesaidlol

11. Shatner

rubberandgluedontlashoutbycallingpeoplecuntsontheinternetlol

indifferencefaillol

12. Kris Graft

Matt and I have already scheduled a leg wrestling match to settle this once and for all. Best of five. Currently working on hamstrings in Wii Fit.

13. The Benny

Pat – I was just playing along ;). Interpreting the NPD results in terms of analyst wars instead of console wars is amusing.
    Next time the NPD results come out I might quickly dump the data into OpenOffice or something and churn out some pie charts by midnight. Then I could stand proud over both Matthews and Graft and officially win the NPD battle for a whole month.

14. Patrick Garratt

Kris – :D

Benny – You should give it a shot. Launch a site called “NPDanalysis.biz”. I’ll give you links ;)

15. The Benny

Heh, an actual site might be a bit extravagant for some cheapo pie charts and a few comments, especially when all the raw data is on places like the VGSales Wiki anyway. A free blog, perhaps.
    Regardless, the next NPD is maybe three weeks away and I generally don’t have that level of follow-through :D

16. wz

@5 – Heh, spacebar ftw.

17. wz

Of course, it’s post #6 – stupid.

18. The Benny

Took some time over the weekend to muck about with the Feb stats, dumping them in a spreadsheet and making some charts. It took a little longer than I thought to write suitably authentic commentary on it all and set everything up, but with a lot of the data already present now I reckon I could do it all pretty quickly next month, so I may well give it a try.
    It’s all just on a free WordPress blog for now but should be linked through my username, if anybody’s interested.

19. Psychotext

Nice, though your pie charts need a little AA. :)

20. Patrick Garratt

Hey, not bad! Do it for the March data and I’ll give you a link :)

21. The Benny

Heh, as far as I can tell those pie charts are the best I can get out of OpenOffice. It’s a choice between MSPaint-level circles, basic 3D or basic 3D with some basic shading. I’ll have a look around before the March NPD and see if there’s anything that can make smoother ones without much more effort.