February NPD – Street Fighter IV in combined 850,000-unit software smash

Thursday, 19th March 2009 23:19 GMT By Patrick Garratt

streetfighteriva8

Despite Wii Fit taking the US number one in February’s NPD with 644,000 units sold, Street Fighter IV claimed a split-platform victory with 849,000 units moved over 360 and PS3.

Bit of a shock result for Killzone, there. Probably expected a bit more than just over 300,000 units.

Here’s the top ten:

1. Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii) – 644K
  2. Street Fighter IV (Capcom, 360) – 446K
  3. Street Fighter IV (Capcom, PS3) – 403K
  4. Wii Play (Nintendo, Wii) – 386K
  5. Killzone 2 (Sony, PS3) – 323K
  6. Wii Mario Kart (Nintendo, Wii) – 263K
  7. Call of Duty: World at War (Acti Blizz, 360) – 193K
  8. Mario Kart DS (Nintendo, DS) – 145K
  9. New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo, DS) – 144K
  10. Guitar HeroWorld Tour (Acti Blizz, Wii) – 136K

1. The Benny

Killzone 2 did release very late in the month though. Wikipedia says it was February 27th, which would be two days of sales if the NPD figures stop dead on at the end of Feb. I think Resistance 2 only managed a little under 400k in the whole month of November.

2. Mandaspt

yep the game released only in the end of month, I think we could see better the sucess or disapointment of Killzone 2 in the next month data.

323k in two days not bad at all.

3. Psychotext

Yup, next month will reveal all.

4. theevilaires

Wheres halo wars :P

5. Psychotext

In next month’s figures.

6. The Benny

Yeah, Halo Wars was March 3rd in the US so it will be in the next NPD. It will be interesting to see how that fares, seeing as it’s apparently sold well for a console RTS, but console RTS’ don’t sell particularly well.

7. theevilaires

m$ figured they slap the halo name on a rts and see if it sells well on a console. its all an experiment to attract devs to make rts games for their console by saying “hey guys halo wars kick started the rts rave on xbox. look halo wars sold 2 mill ( cause of name brand :P ) you can do it too!!!! yay we started another rave genre on consoles like we did with the original halo”…. and then before you know it you’ll have xbots all over the internet saying halo wars is the best rts and that sony can’t compete.

8. Soong

Microsoft must be really upset that theevilaires has figured out their cunning (but evil) plan. Theevilaires is really smart, he has each company figured out and they’re not fooling him one bit. They would have gotten away with it too if it wasn’t for theevilaires and his mastery of the English language!

9. theevilaires

I’m sorry i didn’t know my literature on a gaming website (and the “internet” for that matter) was my ticket into heaven after i die. Now run along to your butt pal pyschofag he probably wants his salad toss before he goes night night :P

10. Psychotext

You got any new material? Take a leaf out of Shatner’s book… shake it up a little.

11. theevilaires

I thought you weren’t responding to my insane rants anymore?
    You sure did respond to that one quick. Soong must have ate that salad up with some blue cheese. :P you feeling good now lol, you sick frrrrreeeak :P

12. Psychotext

Wasn’t a rant though was it… a rant would be post 7. :)

13. theevilaires

Isn’t it like 3:30 am over there? Listen to me carefully ok…. no matter what M$ has told you there is no xbox live achievement for trolling game websites 24/7 (no pun attended oh mighty Zeus). Please heed this warning and start your life. Let go of the mouse,stand up,wipe the cum stains of your panties,walk to the nearest exit,open the door to the outside world,proceed to walk in the middle of the street,and scream as loud as you can “I’m FREE!!!”….then wait for a truck to hit you :P

Now if you’d excuse me I must be getting back to my Unreal Tournament 3 trophies :P

14. Psychotext

…and that one qualifies as a rant.

15. theevilaires

Ok you win! there you happy now goto sleep or something. Damn you Euros and your lack of need for sleep.

16. Psychotext

Sadly I’m up working. :(

17. theevilaires

Wow you must be talented if you can mop floors and type at the same time. Euros never cease to amaze me :)

18. Psychotext

It’s even better than that, I can serve burgers at the same time too.

19. theevilaires

I’ll have a double bacon cheeseburger please with lettece and tomato. Hold the mayo (because its chicken sperm) and add extra ketchup.

But in all seriousness you telling me you work at a fast food joint. That sucks. I almost fell sorry for you….oh well :P thats life for some. How come you’re not in the news media industry since you like to dig up info on stuff and post it on game websites across the world?

20. Psychotext

I’m the owner of a IT / business consultancy company… that doesn’t mean I can’t play along with the joke.

21. Psychotext

…and no, sadly I don’t mean owner as in I’m filthy rich and don’t have to work any more. :)

22. theevilaires

Well well well look at you Mr. entrepreneur owner of your own “IT / business consultancy company”, pretty good.

23. G1GAHURTZ

PT is a fat cat.

24. Shatner

afatwhat?lol

25. G1GAHURTZ

CAT

26. Psychotext

I’m neither fat nor a feline.

Ok, I might be fat. :(