Steinberg – Sony’s 2009 is “relentless and AAA quality”

Wednesday, 18th March 2009 07:40 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3a23

SCEA marketing chief Scott Steinberg’s claimed 2009 will deliver an unremitting bombardment of high quality product from Sony, and that Killzone 2 is the game that will trigger many to buy a PS3.

“We’re shipping a great lineup and it’s relentless and AAA quality,” Steinberg told GameDaily.

“Starting it with Killzone 2, we’re going to arrest the momentum from competitors with titles like MLB 09: The Show, which some are calling the best sports title ever made.

“Then in summer there’s inFamous and you’ll get to see even more excellent titles at E3. If PlayStation fans thought that we’d rest on our laurels from last year and if competitors thought that we’d punched ourselves out, both are mistaken.”

He added, probably shouting: “We feel that Killzone 2 is a tremendous exclusive. It’s an exclamation point that demonstrates the distance between the PS3 and other systems. The game is 40 gigs and could not be done on anything else. It will move people from the sidelines, and from what we’ve seen from blogs, will push 360 owners to try out the PS3. I think it’s going to be a major launch for us and this historical PlayStation brand.”

Hear Scott roar. Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Retroid

Bless! :)

2. Patrick Garratt

Pat sources say Sony have heap big Q4 coming up.

3. Johnny Cullen

Spill!

4. Johnny Cullen

As for what we have seen so far and will see, he’s not far off.

It looks very good, what with Killzone 2, inFamous, Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2 (I wanna say God of War III as well, I dont know if it’ll be out this year)

5. Blerk

MLB the what? And why is he still pimping Killzone like it’s an upcoming title? :-)

I want to see more of Heavy Rain. Make it so!

6. Patrick Garratt

Um smoke signals say, “E3 2009 has many megaton, strong buffalo.”

7. Blerk

lol!

Microsoft really need to get off their arses and talk about their 2009 line-up. Like… soon. It’s getting silly now, people are starting to do that “well, it looks like they don’t have anything” thing again, like they did last year.

8. Patrick Garratt

They announced it all at that Banjo event in CA last year, innit. I suspect we’ll see something similar this year.

9. Blerk

When was that, though? I can’t remember. Was it pre-E3?

10. Shatner

KZ2isacurrenttitle.noteveryonesuffersfroma.d.d.lol

11. G1GAHURTZ

I just want TDU 2 and Modern Warfare 2.

…and a Tournament Fightstick…

Nothing else gets me excited for this year, so far.

Tell us what you know Pat! E3 is miiiiiiles away!

12. Patrick Garratt

Blerk – Yeah. It was May.

13. Rhythm

Saw the reviews of MLB. I’ve not played a baseball game since RBI but this does look pretty special. Didn’t realise it was Sony-only though

14. Blerk

Oh, it’s baseball, is it? That explains a lot.

/files under ‘meh’

15. Retroid

Baseblol.

16. Gekidami

Sony have said that GoWII is set for 09 to, though its probaly just a ‘watch this space’ date.

17. Rhythm

Be interested to see if Demon’s Soul is going to hit the West – we need some more decent RPG fodder

18. Johnny Cullen

Microsoft need to get off their big fat arse for this year.

All we have from this year so far from MGS that is noteworthy is Halo Wars.

And still to come, whatever Rare is making, Halo 3: ODST and possibly Forza 3.

Granted, this situation happened last year and Microsoft still came out with a solid list but even still, right now, Sony has MS beat based on some great games.

And with a possible $99 price cut on Sunday, Microsoft berrer think fast.

Sony could still do a lot between now and June with GDC, PlayStation Day (most likely) and E3.

19. Johnny Cullen

*better

20. Rhythm

The only Sony-only stuff I’m looking at this year thus far are Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2. I’d love to know if they’re finally going to release Hakuna Matata (Afrika) in the West alongside Aquanaut’s Holiday

Is White Knight Story coming to Euro or the US?

21. Blerk

I can’t imagine that it won’t. Level 5′s stuff has historically taken ages to make it to the West, though. They have this weird habit of actually fixing some of the stuff that’s broken before they’ll let it out of Japan. :-D

22. Johnny Cullen

Forgot about White Knight Chronicles :D

Is it just me or do I get the feeling that Microsoft will show Final Fantasy XIII live gameplay at their E3 conference with a counter from Sony being either being live gameplay of WKC or Final Fantasy Versus XIII (if Versus XIII is even playable which I doubt)

23. Newbie101

I can’t wait for MAG! 250+ multiplayer FPS action!

That really is war!

24. Blerk

I thought MAG was 3rd person?

25. Rhythm

I can’t remember either way, but then I really don’t care ;-)

I’ll be happy to see more about The Agency though

26. Panipal2005

@ Patrick Garrett

“Pat sources say Sony have heap big Q4 coming up.”

Does this mean Sony are cramming all their big releases in a short space of time rather than spacing their releases out (which EA have said would be a better idea, maybe they’re actually serious about it too) in Q2/Q3 as well as Q4?

Did MGS4 not tell them anything? Infamous? Or do they only learn from failure (like when R2 and LBP were amongst a pile of Q4 ’08 releases).

27. Panipal2005

Also Sony should stop making promises about their presence for E3, because their performances at last years expos were marked by epic fail (Pimping KZ2 & MAG – wow great you can do Xbox games better than Microsoft big whoop). Maybe afterwards, if they deliver, everyone will take their talking big seriously again.

28. Syrok

Meh, all I want is Afrika, Aqua and maybe Demons Soul.

29. No_PUDding

Look forward to it.

I really think Sony’s lineup is sufficient enough at the moment.

Infamous and MAG this summer is nice.

But I would not mind OTHER games!!!! OTHER GAMES…

30. Cort

And I’m pretty sure we are still waiting to see the legendary “BBC game”, the first party PS3 title which stunned BBC journalist Darren Waters over a year ago now……

We know it is not Heavy Rain or MAG, so unless it is God of War 3 (I doubt it as Darren didn’t say anything when that was revealed – even when I asked him!) we are still waiting.

PS Pat you are such a frickin’ tease. E3 is AGES away!

31. Rhythm

@Syrok I still want Afrika but apparently Aquanaut’s Holiday is a bit meh :-(

Only heard about Demon’s Soul yesterday but it looks amazing! I gather the Chinese version features full English language too, so no need to rely on it coming to the West if it turns out they want to keep things local ;-)

32. Syrok

Oh, is it? I haven’t heard or read anything about it yet. No one seems to bother with import reviews anymore. :(

I know that DS is in English, but I’m lacking a credit card/paypal and don’t trust ebay.

33. Johnny Cullen

Oh yeah, forgot about Darren Waters. I’m losing it XD

Me thinks it’s Team ICO.

And Cort, he would have said if it was God of War III already. Remember, he was at E3 and with GOWIII there, he would have said.

34. No_PUDding

What Darren Water’s said coincides with stuff I have been told, and no other game internally would have that reaction, which I have seen several times now.

35. No_PUDding

I am ofcourse Kyle Barrett, man, pimping my life’s work never gets old…

Talking of which I’d like my life’s work to equal a little bit more than that eventually, so I need to continue working.

36. Cort

No_PUDding, your last two posts make no sense – to me at least. Are you on drugs?

;o)

37. No_PUDding

Sometimes I wonder. Nah I am just a little preoccupied at the moment. Read the second of the bbc links above though.

I am a loser who emails BBC tech correspondants.